AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X CPU Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

The link to AnandTech includes many of the same tests we ran, in fact, we have every one of those tests. However, their tests don't include the 1900X.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

The article isn't entirely focused on gaming, we ran 3x more application tests than games. Also, we have numerous efficiency charts for applications in the conclusion.

Yes, it would be better if we could test with four GPUs for certain workloads, but unfortunately I don't have four of them to test with.

adhsmith

Prominent
Nov 4, 2017

chip seems fine for gaming to me, think the article misses a mode that makes more sense than loosing cores on the 1900x

Leaving Legacy mode on for game tests, from my experience is the wrong thing to do for games, I know this is AMDs game mode but having tested in a few games working out where best to leave my TR machine, all cores and local RAM seems the sweet spot, might be different for the 32 thread monster.

Below are some results from my machine, tried to match articles settings when possible and chose similar for other titles, don't have all games unfortunately and only a few have benchmarks.

Averages of 3 test run to try and balance out the super high first run vs when the 1080 has warmed up and reduced clocks, Assetto Corsa game mode was done after I had been out a while so machine quite cold which might have lead to its boost.

1900x.png

mapesdhs

Distinguished

Read my post; I asked for proof that RAM speed matters for those use cases where ECC is important, because it really doesn't. Such tasks typically need quantity, not speed.

It mostly is though (indeed the above wording confirms this! :D), and as I say the article even starts off by saying the product isn't even aimed at gamers, yet there are lots of gaming test pages, those pages come first, and genuinely relevant use cases for the product are not tested at all. The conclusion is from a gamer's perspective, for a product not aimed at that market. Makes no sense. "isn't entirely focused" = mostly is focused.

Really, this should have been done on the Pro site with more relevant tests.

Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.