AMD Says FX And APU-Based AMD Carrizo Cores Coming Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess, over in Europe, there already had FX-named FM2/FM2+ based chips: The FX-670K and the FX-770K. These were basically the equivalent of the Athlon X4's, and were Richland (former) and Streamroller (latter) based chips. Most curious!

Anyway, I think it is interesting that all chatter of Samsung potentially purchasing AMD has been thrown out the window with the release of this news.

nice job, guys.

the i5 mentioned in amd slides is actually a mobile core i5, -U series. since carrizo is also for laptops, the comparison makes sense.. sorta.

the igpu is very interesting. love the HEVC support. i think amd will be the first to launch an HEVC capable processor ahead of intel. in small form factor pcs, carrizo will make a good contender.

A_J_S_B

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015
What a messed up article...40% IPC increase is for 2016 new Zen FX CPU and a bit later for the Zen APU both in socket AM4, all of them in 14 or 16 FinFET.

Carrizo is old tech refined to the limit and only for Notebooks and won't have ANYTHING even close BY FAR of 40% IPC increase.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Boasting about being 40% faster graphics than the core i5, is like being happy that the car some shady person sold you, is able to go 40% faster than a turtle. It is still slow and useless.

The current integrated GPU's are more than enough for basic use (in addition to 1080p and 4K video). For gaming, they all fall short, and a 40% improvement will still not be enough. The customer will still have to buy a dedicated GPU if they want a good gaming experience (unless all they want to do is play 2D platformers or card games).

For desktop, get rid of the GPU and use that space for more cores. For mobile, use the extra GPU power to make the GPU smaller but keep the same performance, and then use the extra space for probably 1 extra core.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
Boasting about being 40% faster graphics than the core i5, is like being happy that the car some shady person sold you, is able to go 40% faster than a turtle. It is still slow and useless.

The current integrated GPU's are more than enough for basic use (in addition to 1080p and 4K video). For gaming, they all fall short, and a 40% improvement will still not be enough. The customer will still have to buy a dedicated GPU if they want a good gaming experience (unless all they want to do is play 2D platformers or card games).

For desktop, get rid of the GPU and use that space for more cores. For mobile, use the extra GPU power to make the GPU smaller but keep the same performance, and then use the extra space for probably 1 extra core.

I don't know about that. I think it's more like bragging that you're 40% faster in a foot race than a man with no legs.

Lordos

Reputable
May 7, 2015
Is there really going to be update for FX series? This is only site I could see to state such possibility. Is there any other source for this info other then above APU slide? Cause apart of FX logo there is not a single reference to it.
Also doesn't the FX have only 2 generations (Zanbezi & Vishera) so why they say 6th generation?
Last weeks I'm seriously thinking about upgrade for my PC and I'm almost ready to pull the trigger for 8320E Vishera but now I'm not so sure if new FX should come.

amd has been using FX brand for it's top mobile apus since kaveri launch. amd will update desktop FX cpus in 2016 with zen cores and AM4 socket.

6th generation apu is refered to upcoming carrizo apus. it's a marketing term to mimic intel's "8th generation graphics" and "5th generation core processors" shenanigans. apparently sales people love saying "generation".

Lordos

Reputable
May 7, 2015
amd has been using FX brand for it's top mobile apus since kaveri launch. amd will update desktop FX cpus in 2016 with zen cores and AM4 socket.

6th generation apu is refered to upcoming carrizo apus. it's a marketing term to mimic intel's "8th generation graphics" and "5th generation core processors" shenanigans. apparently sales people love saying "generation".
Yeah that's what I knew so far, that nothing new for FX this year, while Zen and AM4 coming 2016. So thanks for clarification, didn't know they used FX for something else than desktop CPUs, that's what confused me :)
So I will then probably go ahead for 8320e as my old C2D is getting really old and cant wait much longer for Zen.

A_J_S_B

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015
FX is NOT the top *APU* of AMD x86 tech.
FX is the top *CPU* of AMD x86 tech....FX range don't have iGPU.

...and yes, there will be Zen FX CPU and Zen APU (with a name range to be defined but possibly AMD will continue to call it A-Series) in both for the new AM4 socket (witch i bet is a PR re-brand of what was supposed to be the new FM3 socket).

Still waiting for amd to actually release something other than teasers of what might be. Much like bulldozer, they were going to release mantle and that was going to turn the tech world upside down. Wait, nope - put on hold before it ever got released. Then rumors of 'coming soon' zen which isn't out yet and now more news of what's supposed to come out. Are they producing anything or just becoming a rumor factory? So far all they've managed to come out with are pretty colored meaningless 'charts' of little to no scientific value other than to promote 'potential cool factor'. I especially like the lack of chart figures other than wording that says 'instructions per clock' minus any assigned values and a big arrow skyrocketing with a visual 300% increase compared to excavator despite saying 40% ipc performance improvement. My best guess is because to scale, 40% over excavator wouldn't look as fantastic on a chart if depicted accurately in any meaningful way. Too gimmicky to take them seriously.

Agreed. AMD can only use the "Coming soon" for so long. They know that they will fall another notch behind when Skylake comes out from Intel in the Fall, and they will not have anything till 2016 (at the earliest). Bulldozer was months late, and I suspect that Zen will be soon. They also kept talking a good game with Bulldozer before it came out, but the benchmarks disappointed most of us. I sincerely hope that history does not repeat itself.

rav_

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Using DX12, the 3dMark API Overhead Bewnchmark has clearly demonstrated that AMD APU's ALREADY outperform Intel i3, i5 and i7 IGP by almost 100% in drawcalls per second.

Since ALL of this new ardware that AMD is releasing will be intended for Windows 10 and DX12 the obsolete API DX11 no longer will be crippling GPU performance.

AMD didn't mistakenly announce Microsoft's Win 10 release, they did it on purpose, to let consumers know when DX12 would be available and they could make educated choices when purchasing veru expensive dGPU AIB.

Lordos

Reputable
May 7, 2015

a little offtopic but, I would rather prefer if AMD would try to argue M$ (though not that they would have much influence) into releasing DX12 on Win7 as well. As this WIN 10 looks like BS to me and M$ is only using DX12 to force gamers to migrate to otherwise not needed OS.
There is not a single reason why DX12 shouldn't work on win7/8 - I've seen M$ stating they need new WDDM for it which cannot be ported back to older OS, but imho it is BS, If mantle (low level api) can work on Win7 so could DX12.
I would be really happy if Vulcan (or something else) would be able to finally render DX as obsolete and so get us out of vendor lockin for gaming api.

rav_

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011

Yeah I realize that my comment is somewhat off-topic, but Tom's and other media outlest really need to start benching products and basing review of products on current not obsolete API's.

DX11 is DEAD.

By not using DX12 Tom's is essentially lying to the consumer. Tom's may not be actaully deceiving their readers but failing to bench with DX12 IS a lie of OMISSION. ALL new hardware and silicon released NOW is intended to run on higher perfroming DX12 API. By ignoring this small detail, consumers are basing their $$$ spending choices on incorrect information. Tom's has an obligation to help their readers not have them waste their money based on deliberately inaccurate benchmarks

Since ALL of this new silicon that AMD is releasing will be intended for Windows 10 and DX12 the obsolete API DX11 no longer will be crippling GPU performance.

I can understand why you don't want to change O/S and move to Windows 10 hey I can't seem to get away from XP!!

But if you are a Win 7 user then you will get a free upgrade to Windows 10. But MS is using DX12 as leverage to get folks like me to finally abandon XP and move to the latest Windows O/S. My next hardware choices both laptop and desktop will be based NOT on Windows but DX12. But unfortunately I will just not upgradde my current laptop to Win 10. I loose too much software if I do.

I am not a huge gamer, but not just games will benefit from DX12. AutoCAD and other design software will also benefit from DX12. I also have to think that Video streaming and decoding will also improve.

And not all gaming studios will expand their games to the full extent that DX12 will allow. They simply may not want to spend the money or will be just as happy to be able to sell more games to folks with less expensive hardware.

TNT27

Distinguished

Uhm, they cant benchmark something that isnt even out yet.

And trying to compare an amd apu on dx 12, with an i3 on dx 12, the i3 will still win cpu, just like it does when both are on dx 11. For graphics of course the amd apu will win, as it already does on dx11. DX 12 will increase performance for everything, not magically make a low end amd apu all the sudden out perform i3 + dedicated graphics.

TNT27

Distinguished

BTW, ima use your its dead statment...

"XP IS DEAD"

Status
Not open for further replies.