AMD Says It Won’t Fix Driver Issue Breaking DX9 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yggone

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Terry Makedon Director of AMD software strategy + user experience.
Just tweeted this :
Happy 2018 everyone!! I am seeing some stories pop up about AMD not supporting some old games. That is absolutely not true, we are identifying the bug and working on a fix asap. C&C, Witcher, BfME, etc will be working again.

The issue made its way onto the AMD community forums when a user apparently traced the crash to a module called atiumdag.dll. A community technical support engineer replied the post with the following:
This was a tech support guy on their forum responding to a report that a single, nearly decade-old game was having an issue with the driver, not some official AMD response to reports of multiple games having problems, as this article tries to make it sound.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
AMD: Buy new games stupid!

Yeah, I can't imagine that's their official response.

So many games in my library still use DX9. I had an issue with a game recently... can't remember which one, I had to toggle it back and forth between DX11 and DX9 to get it to display on my screen properly. Annoying.

Once again Toms is spreading fake news to tarnish AMD reputation. The worst is that some people will just believe it without even searching for the official statement.

marvestuff

Prominent
Jan 2, 2018
I wouldn't call this fake or even misleading news. Its poor PR control by AMD. The support staff member, Ray, IS a representative of AMD. So his statement was correctly taken as one from an AMD representative. If it is not his place to make a call regarding future support or allocation of resources, then he should not be make such comments - even for a single game (actually a game series). I would be livid if I had an employee do this.

Also shame on the AMD Director for labeling this as a "story" that is "absolutely not true," without acknowledging that the "story" arose from their own employee's misstatement.

Plumboby

Respectable
Apr 18, 2016
its not true the out cry was from a Fake AMD rep that been working for Nvidia of all companies. No official wording from AMD tho previous drivers were working. There are a few work arounds on U Tube that are an easy fix. Alot has come from A steam bug & windows bug as well as not been stated either. Trick is validate all older games half the time it fixes the issue & a registry clean. I havnt run into Dx9 issues yet touch wood with my rx560 on the latest drivers. To many haters on here is which nvidia is wanting. BTW i wouldn't trust or use Nvidia right now either to the idiots who keep buying new release cards from Nvidia i junked my Nvidia cards will never look back. As atm Nvidia is last lot of drivers are absolute crap as to they doing what Apple are doing with the driver updates slowing there older cards so it forces users to buy new cards. I got told some info the other night from an ex nvidia engineer thats had enough of nvidia business practices They are the next company thats going be like Apple & caught screwing the consumer. If you got AMD there work arounds just go looking, its not AMD fault as these cards are supported for DX9 just a bug has occurred. Just wait & see AMD knows & are working on it

biggjoecheese

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017
This isn't the first time. When I had a Radeon 9800 long ago, they sent me a similar email regarding some older titles in my library (pre-Steam). Given that his happened again, I feel I made a wise choice sticking with NVIDIA.

BryanFRitt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Back onto the article's topic...
Quote:
"This title is from 2007, so we are unlikely to devote any valuable engineering resources to this issue, which is most likely caused by outdated API modules."
The employee said "unlikely" not "won't", and so this sounds more like a casual prediction statement made to a person, rather than an official commitment statement made to the press.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"The employee said "unlikely" not "won't", and so this sounds more like a casual prediction statement made to a person, rather than an official commitment statement made to the press. "

In all honesty, if this hadnt been made so public it probably wouldn't have been fixed. Then again, I wouldn't expect Nvidia would have done anything to fix it if they had the same issue either, unless the equivalent public outcry had occurred. Even then, being that they are so dominant in sales currently, they (Nvidia) might still not have fixed it, LOL.

Plumboby

Respectable
Apr 18, 2016
um they arnt broken trust me i am running dx9 titles no issue even when the so called bug was reported. Bug has come from the auto updates being courpted file as the beta release driver were working on dx9 titles as seen verified footage. My rx560 4G is perkulating prety nicely & been playing threw all my library testing all dx9 titles. half the issue that has arisen is the basic's of keeping you basic computer clean memory wise to. A basic quick tip is what i did & a few m8s with new cards have done without an issue, If your using Registry cleaning software like CC cleaner use it. De install any old graphics drivers run a registry clean a few times over till no trace of registry issues. Download a fresh Copy of the Andrenaline update threw AMD itself install load up. Then run a registry clean checking for errors fixing as needed( Important) a lot think they know better but over looked. Verify game integrity files on steam or threw what ever launcher you use. If you use GOG galaxy it works with dx9 titles when you import your steam games threw it if things get desperate. I done a quick guide on the AMD forums. Hopefully the hotfix will fix most issues tho. Tho i havnt experienced any issues as i installed everything fresh to alieviate any issues where sometimes the most easiest things to do is over looked. Common sense basic's come into play sometimes.

jgraham11

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Toms should probably remove this one as the original story's title is very misleading. At no time did AMD say it would not fix drivers....

Happy suing, AMD!

rgd1101

Don't

It is "news", much like any news, title usually don't change but the content might get update.

BLKBRD

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
I'm currently using a Sapphire HD5870. My GPU is too old to have issues. lol
See... older is better :p

Status
Not open for further replies.