News AMD Says Zen 3 Consumer CPUs Will Launch This Year

Jimbojan

Honorable
May 17, 2017
Intel is already set Sept 2 ,2020 for its product release, It will have 20 to 30% better performance than AMD's Zen 2 or 3. this will force AMD's asp to go down and/or volume market share to go down. From here on, if Intel can keep up with its 7nm, AMD or NVDA will always behind Intel again, no matter what TSMC will do. Intel exec had said that recently, it will be competitive with TSMC from 2021 on.

Makaveli

Splendid
Intel is already set Sept 2 ,2020 for its product release, It will have 20 to 30% better performance than AMD's Zen 2 or 3. this will force AMD's asp to go down and/or volume market share to go down. From here on, if Intel can keep up with its 7nm, AMD or NVDA will always behind Intel again, no matter what TSMC will do. Intel exec had said that recently, it will be competitive with TSMC from 2021 on.

What is intel going to release on sept 2 that is going to offer 20% more performance then zen2 and 3?

lol we don't even know the performance of Zen 3 yet intels unannounced chip is going to be 20-30% faster.

Please cite where you are getting this info from?

From what I can see Rocket Lake is expected to be released in Q4 2020 or Q1 2021. And its expected to have a 20% IPC increase to the current line up. Zen 3 is also suppose to offer 20% IPC over Zen 2.

So we are looking at both products being faster then Previous gen but you have Rocket lake being 20% faster then Zen 3 ??

So a 40% IPC increase from intels current line up??

Last edited:

Pat Flynn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2013

Would you mind siting your sources for this info? Curious about what Intel has in the pipe.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

While I have heard Rocket lake will drop this year, I have yet to hear a date. Do you have a source on that? Also your numbers for performance are on but also off. Rocket Lake is supposed to give Intel a 20% performance boost but AMD's Zen 3 is also supposed to drop this year with a 20% performance boost. At best this puts Intel and AMD neck and neck again...Don't get me wrong I am happy to see this level of competition again but it is hardly the blow out in Intel's favor you seem to be describing. I don't think AMD or Intel Fanboys are going to have solid bragging rights over CPU superiority next gen. But that is just my perspective from the leaks/info available to me. If you have more please list them!!!

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019

Heh-heh...sounds like wishful thinking to me...;) Not a chance...;)

gruffi

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Good joke. Intel says a lot. But they don't deliver for some time now. And that won't change anytime soon. If you mean Tiger Like, it might have 10-20% more single core performance than Renoir. So it could get some credit. But it has only 4 cores. Not enough to beat Renoir overall. Semptember 2nd is just some event. I don't expect a Tiger Lake hard launch. Zen 3 will be a completely different level of performance than Zen 2. I don't see much chances for Intel to compete with it. Definitely not in the desktop market. And the mobile market might switch to AMD even more when they announce Renoir's successor early next year. When Intel finally can launch 7nm products there will be TSMC 5nm products available already. So, it's not really getting better for Intel.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
well...
in september THIS year Intel will announce something for the future.
AMD is releasing new product now and later this year, and again next year.

so the "when" is crutial. because if intel release 20% better performance vs Zen 2 next year, too late.
20% better than Zen 3 next year, ok.
if its in 2years... too late.

Lol. Riiiight...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

and it will only use 20w of power, cost $50 and the new mobo for it will have 64 pcie 4 lanes and will only cost $50. not to mention $50 for 128 gb of DDR5 at 8000 speed. plus every cpu will be unlocked and will oc to 8 ghz on 40w of power.

i mean so long as we're living in fantasy land, may as well go all out on it!!

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
This is a typical respond of an Intel hardcore, with no supporting information of this supposed 20 to 30% improvement in performance. While Intel have an event on 2 Sep, there's nothing mentioned about what product they are going to showcase. It is speculated that they will announce Tiger Lake, and Xe. Now Tiger Lake (with Willow Cove CPUs) is faster and rumored IPC improvement over Skylake is about 25%, but we need to bear in mind that Skylake IPC is actually lower than Zen 2 clock for clock in almost all situations. So at the same clockspeed, Skylake architecture tend to be slower, with gaming still an exception where its holding up well even with a clockspeed parity.

My guess would be that Zen 3 and Willow Cove will be another hard fight, unless AMD or Intel pulls out a surprisingly high IPC gain. On the desktop, I feel with their Rocket Lake capped at 8c/16t, its not going to gain a whole lot of ground against AMD's onslaught.

Arbie

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Intel exec had said that recently, it will be competitive with TSMC from 2021 on.

You think maybe that's the same exec who told us 10nm would be here three years ago?

Your claims are ridiculous, and irresponsible. Please don't trash the forum; that's what Wccftech is for.

Apr 10, 2020
Intel performance is mostly related to higher clocks thanks to 14+++++++++++++++++ nm. But this also results in higher power consumption. TSMC 7nm is "not so good" as 14+++++++++++++++++ and question is how much will get better. Intel is slowly pushing 10nm what could be compared to TSMC 7nm but let's see clocks.
What Intel is doing, AMD is not too much better, is comparing Intel specific HW to ones missing in AMD, eg AI engine or AVX512. Or comparing specific instructions, etc.
But, as far as we have independent measurements AMD wins multi-threaded race while Intel wins single threaded one. Of course, for most games this makes sense. At least for now. But, very limiting Intel factor (no one understands their decision) is limiting memory speeds, even on K CPUs! That's ridiculous and shows how Intel still, thinks, has dominance in desktop arena.
What I'm more interesting in is mobile, laptop, CPUs. Here Intel still has great lead but it gets smaller and smaller every day. If I plan to buy a laptop I will go for AMD, even today.
Anyway, this race, competition, is great for consumers. Just a year ago Intel CPUs were twice as expensive. Thanks AMD!
Now we wait for Chinese x86 CPUs.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Intel performance is mostly related to higher clocks thanks to 14+++++++++++++++++ nm. But this also results in higher power consumption. TSMC 7nm is "not so good" as 14+++++++++++++++++ and question is how much will get better. Intel is slowly pushing 10nm what could be compared to TSMC 7nm but let's see clocks.
What Intel is doing, AMD is not too much better, is comparing Intel specific HW to ones missing in AMD, eg AI engine or AVX512. Or comparing specific instructions, etc.
But, as far as we have independent measurements AMD wins multi-threaded race while Intel wins single threaded one. Of course, for most games this makes sense. At least for now. But, very limiting Intel factor (no one understands their decision) is limiting memory speeds, even on K CPUs! That's ridiculous and shows how Intel still, thinks, has dominance in desktop arena.
What I'm more interesting in is mobile, laptop, CPUs. Here Intel still has great lead but it gets smaller and smaller every day. If I plan to buy a laptop I will go for AMD, even today.
Anyway, this race, competition, is great for consumers. Just a year ago Intel CPUs were twice as expensive. Thanks AMD!
Now we wait for Chinese x86 CPUs.

I don't think it is a fair statement to say that TSMC's 7nm is not as good. I am not sure what is your definition of good here though. Clockspeed is a 1 dimensional metric, which is not good enough to determine if it is poorer. It is evident that AMD realize a huge chunk of power efficiency moving over to TSMC's 7nm. While Intel's processor can hit higher clockspeed, but that is at the expense of pulling in significantly higher power to achieve that feat. I feel it is just a matter of how it is optimized and the maturity of the fab.

Apr 10, 2020
Sorry for not being specific - not so good regarding speed. But, let's wait Intel 10nm to see their speeds.

Jul 22, 2020
Okay let's go out on a very thin limb here and say you're right about their best consumer chip being %20 faster, at what cost though? 1000 dollars? I'd rather pay 600 along with most sane people and put the other 400 to better use.

dmitche31958

Reputable
Aug 13, 2019

Obviously an Intel lover or employee. Wishful opinions and not fact as everyone has pointed out.

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007

Tiger Lake (Willow Cove) is expected to be +25% IPC vs Skylake, where its predecessor Ice Lake (Sunny Cove) is +18% IPC vs Skylake.

Most of what I've read on IPC, which is hard to isolate and very situational, indicates that Ice Lake is ~10% more IPC than Zen 2 (keeping in mind that it's ~18% more than Skylake).

If you do the math on all of that, it would indicate that Zen 3 needs to get a +15% IPC gain over Zen 2 to match up to the Willow Cove IPC. We've all heard claims of +20%, but overall it sounds to me like these cores will be at parity as far as IPC.

The big thing to keep in mind is that Tiger Lake is a laptop chip. I think it is expected to max out at ~35W TDP, so it's aimed ad mid size down to very thin and light laptops. I fully expect Intel to regain dominance in that market this fall with Tiger Lake since AMD just recently switched to Zen 2 on laptops. And Intel should focus there - it's the largest PC market.

I'm not so sure about desktop. Rocket Lake is still going to be on the 14nm process but using Willow Cove cores. If it keeps its high frequencies it will probably be the winner, but reports indicate that they will have no more than 8 cores.

Here's what Ice Lake did for the 2020 Macbook Air in Geekbench single core vs earlier Skylake models - these are the 2 core variants, with Intel 10nm (equivalent to TSMC 7nm) they also now have 4 core versions so the difference in multi is even more :

xb3BLtH.png

thenewnumber2

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
I've got no interest in a CPU that's going to turn my office into Chernobyl: Intel's desktop TDP's are out of control. I'm going for a Zen 3 system this time around. I haven't built an AMD system since the early Athlon days... It's going to be fun to see the AMD logo again during POST!

I've got no interest in a CPU that's going to turn my office into Chernobyl: Intel's desktop TDP's are out of control. I'm going for a Zen 3 system this time around. I haven't built an AMD system since the early Athlon days... It's going to be fun to see the AMD logo again during POST!
To see the AMD logo you will have to enter bios and disable fast boot,at that point you could just as well enter intel bios and set it to intel specs.