AMD SB850 Chipset Specs, Roadmap Revealed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1680x1050@max (except decor density, but that's because I don't like having to look through tall grass), full AA/AF - Dalaran, when busy with more than 200 players, does have lag (I think it's more a matter of high density textures saturating the 512 Mb of RAM on my GC than anything else). If it's a quiet hour, it runs quite smooth. CPU use hardly reaches 100% (more like 50-80%). I get more than 40 fps outdoors or in raids, which is plenty enough for a MMORPG IMHO.

On the other hand, I run that on an extremely bare Windows XP partition (WoW, an AV and a firewall are the only processes running; Windows itself has been reduced to 2000-like features), since I use it only for gaming: I otherwise spend my time in Linux (and I'd run WoW under Linux too if Ati could fix their OpenGL vertex buffer object, and Blizzard ported the Mac OS X OpenGL code to the PC version!)

taye

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Nice knowing something new is brewing in next year but to me I am upgrading now because of necessity. My 7-yr old desktop is one of those earlier socket 754 AMD and all my aging inner components have either been discontinued or manufacturer did not post any software/bio updates since 2004. But then again, I see everyone's points, they are valid in their rights.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Hmm. Wierd how it runs well on yours and not on mine. I stopped before lich king though, so I don't know about dalaran, but shattrath did lag, but also when flying over terokkar and other places with many objects - after 3.0.2 patch. And my windows was quite bare too (700mb total install size with ie7 and sp3)

G

I still waiting for AMD or Nvidia come out with a mobo built in video chip could withstand ultra-high definition quad displays by default for gamers and graphic design students usage alike.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]otomon1[/nom]I still waiting for AMD or Nvidia come out with a mobo built in video chip could withstand ultra-high definition quad displays by default for gamers and graphic design students usage alike.[/citation]
That'd be an extended atx board with 3kg of heatsinks, 2x pcie 6 pin connnectors, 2x pcie 8 pin connectors, 8 pin cpu power connector, 24 pin atx connector and probably a molex or two for the rest. And it'd be required to be installed in a desktop chassis to not break..... wont happen.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Paca[/nom]should i wait for the new chipset for my new rig?[/citation]
Only if you need the added features.
I'd pick one of those with sb750 available now instead of waiting. But I suppose waiting till i5 is out might save you some bucks. But then, if you can wait that long, why buy anything at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.