News AMD Scores Its Highest Server CPU Market Share in Years: Report

Makaveli

Splendid
I run a datacenter and we started migrating to AMD with the 1st Gen Epyc. Now all our VMware hosts are running Epyc with most of them on Rome. The density and performance is outstanding.

What is the life cycle on these servers do you plan to update them to Milan Epyc cpu's eventually since it will basically be a drop in replacement?

artk2219

Distinguished
Intel: uh oh... rebates for everyone!

Intel: "Dell is the best friend money can buy"

And YOU get a rebate, and YOU get a rebate, oh you are selling some AMD products? You pay 25% more. F!*^ you.

Atleast we're not back to how Intel was back in 2004 through 2007, yet.

On the corporate side we've been moving everything to Epyc, the datacenter is run by a guy that is long Intel, so theres no traction there despite the obvious benefits he would see with their work loads :-/

TheGreatDonkey

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
What is the life cycle on these servers do you plan to update them to Milan Epyc cpu's eventually since it will basically be a drop in replacement?
In my experience, typical capital depreciation is either 3 or 5 years, then usually scheduled for replacement.

What is more interesting to me is the marketing view of this - traditional model puts first 10% of something growing or gaining market share as "early adopters". If you start growing above this, which is quite difficult, will typically start to gain traction on own beyond that segment and truly into mainstream mindset - and see real market penetration. Amd seems to be trending in this direction.