AMD Ships 40W Six-core 'Istanbul' Opterons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impulse Fire911

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
seriously? why not just release 8 core already? way to milk more people for money but w/e cool i guess i'd only be intrested for like a 16 threaded 8 core nehalem EX ftw

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
1. I think Tom's should start their own business computing benchmarking. Many of us are really interested in how those server chips run in real world applications. Not just web server, file server, banking, data base and/or online trading, but also as game server (yeah those pesky laggs) and probably security servers.

2. AMD should be more specific on which types of application do need lower clock speed but more cores. I can imagine it is mostly around heavy virtualization.

Zenthar

Distinguished
[citation][nom]IronRyan21[/nom]I wonder when AMD will make a 6 core Phenom?[/citation]They will probably try as soon as possible since the Intel i9 are due Q1 of next year (I think).

G

Impulse: I suppose 6 cores fails to meet your needs, which I am sure are quite extraordinary, and can only be met by an 8-core, non-existant Core i7 chip. Some people might assume you're some punk 15y/o who plays games on a Pentium IV, but I'm sure that you're some brilliant IT worker with all sorts of crazy technical skill

/sarcasm

Uh, yay, I guess? The server market is where the margins are at and I guess this would be a high yield part so I suppose the price makes sense. Still, it's not very news worthy except perhaps to a certain niche of data center managers.

G

40w? Slap that baby in a laptop, the prestige and bragging rights would be almost unbearable...

bitage

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
AFAIK Skulltrail was a consumer platform, meant for the uber 1337 enthusiast with too much money. They're pretty expensive though, so I guess that's the reason it failed.

Back OT: I too look forward for AMD to release some more inexpensive chips for the consumer market with more than 4 cores, although I can imagine more cores aren't really necessary *yet* for consumers.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
i wonder when amd will have an 8 core for consumer desktops

the intel i7 920 hs 4 cores with ht which run 8 thread, it's amazing

my amd 955 just cant keep up even with the overclocking...

Zenthar

Distinguished
[citation][nom]bitage[/nom]AFAIK Skulltrail was a consumer platform, meant for the uber 1337 enthusiast with too much money.[/citation]I think you are both right, skulltrail was some kind of bastard children of both. Most of the board was actually server-ish, but they added SLI/XFire support to it. In the end, I think the "server-grade" FBDIMM memory it required killed most the the performance for gaming applications...

Darkness Flame

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
Ok, so a 40W ACP is nice, but what's the TDP? You know, since ACP does not equal TDP, and the latter is more important when planning the cooling for your servers ...

[citation][nom]impulsive411[/nom]Impulse: I suppose 6 cores fails to meet your needs, which I am sure are quite extraordinary, and can only be met by an 8-core, non-existant Core i7 chip. Some people might assume you're some punk 15y/o who plays games on a Pentium IV, but I'm sure that you're some brilliant IT worker with all sorts of crazy technical skill/sarcasm[/citation]
8 cores really help in CFD.

G

dark_lord69: I think you missed the part about how this could be powered by a laptop battery. 6 cores at 1.8ghz at 40w is very, very good, but they also make Opterons in a 3.0ghz flavor for people like you. Does Intel, Sun, IBM, Via or anybody else make a 3.0ghz 6-core at 40w? Does Intel even have a 40w part that can compete?

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
There is no AMD 8 core proc. Its AMD 6 core then to AMD 12 core. Maybe they will make something new that will have 8 cores. Also does seem wierd its not a power of 2.

Kaiser_25

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
AMD is...ok, and most of us experienced in the semi conductor industry know that the amd product is inferior to intel, from beginning to end. AMD is the subsidized (EU) intel wannabe.

G

Toms should do a cross generation shootout. say P4 @ 1.8 and all generations after at the same speed.

[citation][nom]jesus_freak69[/nom]dark_lord69: I think you missed the part about how this could be powered by a laptop battery. 6 cores at 1.8ghz at 40w is very, very good, but they also make Opterons in a 3.0ghz flavor for people like you. Does Intel, Sun, IBM, Via or anybody else make a 3.0ghz 6-core at 40w? Does Intel even have a 40w part that can compete?[/citation]
http://insidehpc.com/2008/09/18/intels-hexacore-product-line-xeon-7400-series/

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
AMD did point out that this processor is now available for $989, but might not be available off the shelf from larger system builders, meaning that those who want this power-conscious chip will have to make special custom orders.

Awe, with out out the big vendors me to dumb to install processor.

[citation][nom]IronRyan21[/nom]I wonder when AMD will make a 6 core Phenom?[/citation]

Six core chips would beneficial for virtual machine servers; not sure what the benefits would be in a standard desktop.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]kaiser_25[/nom]AMD is the subsidized (EU) intel wannabe.[/citation]
Yeah! Subsidized because they... uh... didn't... get any EU money...
RAWR EU BAD! KAISER SMASH! SMISH!

Status
Not open for further replies.