AMD Ships Vulnerability Patches To Ecosystem Partners

Status
Not open for further replies.

drinkingcola86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
What bothers me the most about what CTS labs posted in the vulnerabilities within the AMD systems, required admin and for some things physical access to the hardware to modify things.

Remote access with admin privileges and the ability to remotely install/update the bios is something that can happen on almost any pc. At the place I work, we are almost an Intel exclusive environment and we edit and install new bios' remotely all the time. There have been people showing what CTE labs released happening on Intel and Qualcomm run devices.

It was not a remote issue, it was a local exploit in a context where Admin Access Rights were available. It was like saying a car could have a direction problem while exploding.

They employed a PR firm to advertise their company and had created a doom and gloom story to drive the stock price. it didn`t worked at first, however 1 month later the stock was at 9.60$. basically, they succeeded and this is revolting.

Is CTS Labs getting antsy on their short sell of AMD stock? Not getting quite the ROI they were expecting from their ploy? This just goes to show what we all suspected from the start: This whole thing was overblown and sketchy at best.

I see your point and that's problematic, for sure. Last I heard, the SEC was investigating what it saw as abnormal trading of AMD stock that occurred right around the time of CTS Labs's disclosure. I'm hopeful that the SEC cuts their legs out from under them given that the problems that they brought to light were vastly overstated in terms of vulnerabilities are concerned.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Intel's CPU flaws (Spectre / Meltdown) gets discovered and Intel is forced to reveal.
These Intel products with the flaws were designed in a certain country that you need to look up yourself.
A certain hedge company, also located in the same country, spreads information equivalent to "the sky is blue" as "the sky is falling!" squarely at Intel's competition. They also short sell the competition's stock.
Shortly thereafter, patches for the Spectre / Meltdown vulnerabilities are released by Microsoft, that wreak havoc with Intel's competition, and they don't seem to exist in Linux.

Disclaimer:
In no way am I am implying that Spectre/Metldown is an NSA back door.
There is absolutely NO proof of collusion between CTS labs and Intel.
Radeon black screens, strange voltage regulation problems on systems, and system instability are entirely coincidental in Windows 1709 and Spectre/Meltdown patches.
These instabilities may not occur with opensource drivers in Linux performing the same tasks, but hey, Linux is hard and it's only a matter of time until they get fixed.
For example, perhaps these problems START to go away in Windows 1803, as long as you update to the latest drivers and bios from AMD.
Also, old hardware tends to fail. Sandybridge, Ivybridge and AMD hardware failures are just bad luck combinations of legacy hardware, new hardware, old software and new software.

I have NOT decided if I am getting an AMD system next.
But let me reiterate, I don't feel Intel let me down. My Intel Ivybridge motherboard is not getting a BIOS patch because it is old, not because they want me to buy new Intel hardware.
I am also sure that the new lidless Intel CPUs DO NOT have a shorter lifespan than CPUs like the i7 3xxx and 2xxx series. There is PR everywhere about the reasons for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.