AMD Shows Live Demo of Trinity APU With Eyefinity Gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I did buy an Asus and wings3d Works just Fine!! I think Toms, anandtech, and other tech sites ought to test new laptops for their ability to work with opensource software and rate them as opensource friendly or not. Computer manufactures should also be rated on how often they keep thier products software updated, with a focus on graphics drivers, for companies that customize the stock graphics hardware drivers!!!

G

Microsoft should include, within the windows operating system some way to query the graphics drivers and identify those drivers that have been customizied by an OEM, so the computer buying public can see this information before they perchase a computer! Intel should maintain a master list of computers that utilize customized graphics drivers for Intel HD graphics, or produce a web based method for the customer to check the computer without having to install any software on the computer at a retail outlet.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
yay im going to be downvoted and i know this will be hidden within an hour but i have to say this.

i want games to be made on 3 tiers

- low end
- console qiality
- top end single card

low end would be a low tier gpu, like the 75xx line or 76xx line i forget what the lowest is... basicly the game is playable at bare minimium settings

console quality would bring it up to needing a mid range card to play well the 57xx line or better

high end would be gear tword the fastest single gpu setup, no crossfire at all.

amd just showed that integrated graphics are good enough, probably for console qualirt and possibly what i call mid tier

i never want games to require multi gpu and i want them to be playable on a wide range of machines, and amd has just shown us the future of pc gaming, every thing they sell from now on can play a game... its amazing to me.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
That laptop was NOT playing smoothly. I thought it might be the feed, but his fingers were moving just fine. Noticed it kept stopping at random points for about 700 ms.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Looking forward to this. Better bang for the buck than Intel in low to mid range systems, and mid range systems are getting better and better while Intel's multimedia and 3D capabilities remain stagnant.

rex86

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]Usen2[/nom]Anyone buying a computer with Intel HD graphics had better make sure that their laptop is using the Stock Intel drivers, or they may not be able to get Intel driver updates. If you want to use many of the opensource graphics software that utilizes openGL drivers, I would not buy a Toshiba laptop with Intel HD graphics!!![/citation]

I will never again buy laptop with Intel HD graphics. It's more like I will never again buy any Intel products. The laptop is fine, but Intel HD is pure shit when it comes to performance and quality. It can not even play HD films, because it doesn't have the capability to do that.

If the new ULV and LV AMD processors have decent graphical performance, I will buy them. And I'm tired of the Intel crapware that everyone's been pushing for the past few years.

gpj

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]That laptop was NOT playing smoothly. I thought it might be the feed, but his fingers were moving just fine. Noticed it kept stopping at random points for about 700 ms.[/citation]

I think you're imagining things. The laptop demo was quite smooth - the desktop version was choppy.

PS 700ms... really? If you are capable of measuring 700ms with your eyes, what are you doing on these forums?

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]yay im going to be downvoted and i know this will be hidden within an hour but i have to say this.i want games to be made on 3 tiers- low end- console qiality- top end single cardlow end would be a low tier gpu, like the 75xx line or 76xx line i forget what the lowest is... basicly the game is playable at bare minimium settingsconsole quality would bring it up to needing a mid range card to play well the 57xx line or betterhigh end would be gear tword the fastest single gpu setup, no crossfire at all. amd just showed that integrated graphics are good enough, probably for console qualirt and possibly what i call mid tieri never want games to require multi gpu and i want them to be playable on a wide range of machines, and amd has just shown us the future of pc gaming, every thing they sell from now on can play a game... its amazing to me.[/citation]
Even games which require crossfire/SLI to max offer perfectly good graphics quality that a single card can run. I know it does hurt people's ego when their system can't run a game maxed out, but I like it, because it gives me a reason to play the game again in a couple years.

G

[citation][nom]gxavier38[/nom]Seems legit.[/citation]
Go back to 9gag.

I don't think you can combine more than 4 GPUs for gaming -- and I suspect once you grow past the APU+single discreet there could be scaling issues.

An APU with 4 discreets might make an interesting compute box, though, as we march to the future.

owlx

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Those demos look pretty sweet. Makes me want some eyefinity for my next gaming rig. Anyone know if there are any frameless LCD's out there so i don't get the pesky black border in the way of my 3 screen set up?

What I really l want to know about Trinity is which GPU is going to be top end discrete card capable of a dual-graphics set up with the on-board? llano topped out at the 6670, and I'm guessing Trinity will stop at the 7770, but, it would be nice if it could get into the 78xx series. Also, will Trinity and the FM2 mobos be capable up running crossfireX set ups that still make use of the on-board gpu?

hannibal

Distinguished
Very impressive for integrated GPU!
The laptop display was very smooth and desktop was running 3 monitors. That is allmost insane for integrated GPU. It is guite easy to see that there will not be room for low end graphic cards (well at least not for non intel machines :) Well, and even Intel 4000 was not bad, but this seems to be good enough even to not too serious gamer!
And as someone said, the 28nm upgrade will be interesting and even this can put Intel ivy in good fight for low end gaming machine. Ivy will have huge advantage in CPU, even after piledriver upgrade, but it seems that Intel is getting more behind in GPU part. Good to have alternatives even in the lower end segment!

tigger888

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
[citation][nom]waethorn[/nom]Looking forward to this. Better bang for the buck than Intel in low to mid range systems, and mid range systems are getting better and better while Intel's multimedia and 3D capabilities remain stagnant.[/citation]
Do you know how long 700ms is? there is no way the video jumped that much, timestamp where it "happened"

G

Just make sure any laptop you get that has, only, intel HD 4000 (Ivy Bridge) graphics comes with the intel generic HD graphics drivers and not the OEM customized graphics drivers, or you may be stuck with the: when pigs fly is when we will update our OEM customized Intel HD graphics drivers.

G

That is true for any graphics card or integrated graphics anonymous poster. ANY OEM drivers for any graphics vendor will be updated by the OEM and they may never do that. You have to be careful and make sure you download the stock drivers for best performance. Definitely a pain but it is true of all of them. Many of us have had to go through this same issue with ATI/AMD cards.

[citation][nom]rex86[/nom]I will never again buy laptop with Intel HD graphics. It's more like I will never again buy any Intel products. The laptop is fine, but Intel HD is pure shit when it comes to performance and quality. It can not even play HD films, because it doesn't have the capability to do that. If the new ULV and LV AMD processors have decent graphical performance, I will buy them. And I'm tired of the Intel crapware that everyone's been pushing for the past few years.[/citation]
well duh, everyone knows intels HD graphics is shit. Thats why you get a dedicated card if you want to do anything more than just surf the web. However, this trinity CPU will be worse than the current A8 cpu as it uses the slow bulldozer core.

benkraft

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2007
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]well duh, everyone knows intels HD graphics is shit. Thats why you get a dedicated card if you want to do anything more than just surf the web. However, this trinity CPU will be worse than the current A8 cpu as it uses the slow bulldozer core.[/citation]

Almost right. It uses the revised Piledriver core meant to be around 15 percent faster than the current Bulldozer parts at the same clock speed.

Ok going to put some misinformation to rest. Nvidia and ATI mobile graphics adapters are not OEM locked / customized. The most the OEM can do is offer different video ports, otherwise their using the exact same chip as everyone else. What is happening is the OEM's burned into their own HW Device ID into the video BIOS. When installing one of the universal graphics drivers from Nvidia / ATI what they do is lookup the video device's ID and reference it to a list of ID's in the .INF files. When it hits a match it will then use the settings from that .INF entry. If your device ID isn't in that list then the graphics driver install program will say that your device isn't supported and to contact your vendor.

There are two ways to fix this. For NVidia install Rivatuner and have it manually set your Device ID to the reference for your GPU then rerun the graphics driver install program. It will install and like magic you'll have updated drivers. I'm not sure if MSI-burner can do that for ATI GPU's. The second way to fix this is to get your vender ID from the device list. Look through the driver .INF for one that is has the same two beginning parts with only the last section being different, the .INF should list this as your reference model. Replace the Device ID in the .INF with your own device ID. Rerun the install program and *poof* it'll detect and install.

I have a Sony Vaio with an NVidia GPU. Sony stopped releasing graphics drivers about 6 months after I bought it, before version 2XX. In order for me to update my drivers I have to use one of the above fix's. The other solution is to to go www.laptopvideo2go.com and query their database. They re-release the reference drivers from NVidia / ATI but with everyone's Device ID's listed. They don't have all but they do have most.

rush21hit

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
[citation][nom]owlx[/nom]...Anyone know if there are any frameless LCD's out there so i don't get the pesky black border in the way of my 3 screen set up?...[/citation]

You can try checking LG's HDTV lineup, and get ready to drool...

Status
Not open for further replies.