AMD Shows Off 11.6-inch Windows 8 Tablet Prototype

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I like Trinity, but the battery life I wonder about. I haven't seen their low power Trinity APUs yet, but its hard to believe they will have a better power envelop than ULV Ivy Bridge. They would be considerably more powerful than Medfield, but Medfield is SoC and contains a lot of the logic on chip whereas AMD will have additional logic parts taking up Watts. A 17W Trinity + several watts in other parts is too much power IMO. Why not go with Brazos? While even Brazos probably uses too much power for true portability, it would be much closer to ARM and Medfield. A tablet like the way people are using the iPad simply has to be ultra portable, meaning, only plug in at night when you are going to bed or leaving work. The rest of the time, it has to be completely free of power attachment without worry of power failure. I don't see this happening with AMD's solution.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Good for amd. I hope they can make something worth while in the tablet sector. I'm sick of seeing amd flop around in the enthusist cpu sector and getting pounded by intel as bad as they have been over the past 5 or 6 years.

At least getting it right in the low end market can save the company due to the majority of profits that the tablet/notebook market brings in.

tmk221

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
It will probably be much cheaper then similar intel based devices. And their updated APU with Piledriver cores and VLIW4 gpu looks quite strong.

twu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
[citation][nom]Tab54o[/nom]Screw the tablets I want an Asian girl.[/citation]

Are you serious dude? Do you know how they look like when the clock turns to 35+? Just look at the picture on the top, the lady holding a laptop claims to be tablet.

Cheer! :)

twu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
[citation][nom]pjmelect[/nom]Screw the Asian girl I want any girl.[/citation]

That is a H comment. Something is really wrong with your life. First, you need dump the friends that you hanging around with now. Second, you need to learn how to speak better. Just like how I start learning how to type. :).

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I really hope that Microsoft is successful with Windows based tablets and hopefully they are a competitive price. Microsoft has had terrible luck when it comes to getting a user base for windows phones but tablets will give them a chance to shine.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Needs more resolution... 1366x768... that's PHONE resolution not tablet resolution. I'd like a Windows tablet (my iPad is only really good for media) but it will have AT LEAST 1920x1200 resolution.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
What's the pricing going to be like on these W8 tablets?

I bought my Acer Iconia A500 for $500. I assume Acer installed the Android OS for free or, if not free, for a heavily discounted rate.

If a W8 OS is going to be $200, what's the end price to the consumer?

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Pricing of windows 8 is going to be key. If Microsoft realizes that they can make more money by controlling app purchases and media purchases enough to lower the price to affordable levels, they might have something. If they think people are going to want to pay a premium for a windows 8 phone, tablet, and then upgrade their computer as well, I don't see it catching on.

Slick move by AMD.

Compal Electronics is big, big really big. We could see Compal-branded tabs and similar versions made by Compal for OEMs.

Love to see some low-watt BrazosII action, unless 17w Trinity is silly-efficient.

G

"Hopefully this is one sector they'll be able to kick Intel's ass in. After all, E350 netbooks kick Intel's ass."

Performance wise, this would crush a Medfield. Not even in the same stratosphere. The issue is mobility. For people using a tablet as an internet ready paper replacement device with apps, it probably isn't the solution as they likely only plug it in at night. As for the e350, it definitely kicks the Atom's butt, but it was 3 years late. By the time AMD got into the fold, people simply stopped buying netbooks in volume. Intel had the market all to itself for 3.5 years and made gobs of money off of it. This allowed Intel to keep the current design for 5 years before replacing it. Now AMD needs a really good SoC in my opinion. Let's hope they don't spend 3 years before they put one out.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]KolorMeSkeptical[/nom]I like Trinity, but the battery life I wonder about. I haven't seen their low power Trinity APUs yet, but its hard to believe they will have a better power envelop than ULV Ivy Bridge. They would be considerably more powerful than Medfield, but Medfield is SoC and contains a lot of the logic on chip whereas AMD will have additional logic parts taking up Watts. A 17W Trinity + several watts in other parts is too much power IMO. Why not go with Brazos? While even Brazos probably uses too much power for true portability, it would be much closer to ARM and Medfield. A tablet like the way people are using the iPad simply has to be ultra portable, meaning, only plug in at night when you are going to bed or leaving work. The rest of the time, it has to be completely free of power attachment without worry of power failure. I don't see this happening with AMD's solution.[/citation]

The brazos C and Z tablets last 4-6 hours of constant use without a wall, if they used a smaller fab process for the next gen brazos it would have even better life, but at this point the screen takes more than anything else.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]KolorMeSkeptical[/nom]I like Trinity, but the battery life I wonder about. I haven't seen their low power Trinity APUs yet, but its hard to believe they will have a better power envelop than ULV Ivy Bridge. They would be considerably more powerful than Medfield, but Medfield is SoC and contains a lot of the logic on chip whereas AMD will have additional logic parts taking up Watts. A 17W Trinity + several watts in other parts is too much power IMO. Why not go with Brazos? While even Brazos probably uses too much power for true portability, it would be much closer to ARM and Medfield. A tablet like the way people are using the iPad simply has to be ultra portable, meaning, only plug in at night when you are going to bed or leaving work. The rest of the time, it has to be completely free of power attachment without worry of power failure. I don't see this happening with AMD's solution.[/citation]

If i remember right the new architecture has a portion that can accept third party IP's, whats stopping AMD from going to Qualicomm, or someone else for a licence to integrate the feature right into trinity?

I am assuming of course that this feature is not on the Brazos. This would reduce in part the power requirement of new modules, who knows... maybe AMD did do just that, and there about to test the waters for there new scheme.

It would be interesting to see this, but that would be one he** of a secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.