AMD Slams Intel's Atom S Processor: ''Too Little, Too Late''

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]AMD E-Series anyone?They may be the consumer part, but they are certainly comparable to anything Atom.Also..AMD.. Maybe you should advertise these things instead of hiding them away?Oh and P.S.. Piledriver is great and all, but why not develop full-size cores instead of the two cores per module approach?Imagine the performance from four full cores based on the modified architecture, likely on-par or faster per-core than Ivy Bridge..[/citation]

intel had their growing pains with the p4.
they hid away threading till they got it right

amd however doesn't have that luxury to hide it,
ald has the right idea with their thread solution, they just need to implement it right and it will be significantly better than intels.

the question is whether amd can get to that point or will it fold before than.

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I like AMD but what turns me off about them is that they seem to be made up of either arrogant, outspoken 'techy' morons or folks who don't know the difference between a Bulldozer and a Piledriver.

chiefbox

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
If AMD had the vision...big IF. I worked at both Austin and the Markham (ATI) offices. They dismantled (drove out) the talent from the ATI team. I was there and experienced it first had the past 3 years.

[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]AMD has succeeded when it bought up good companies, the K8, came from the work of DEC Alpha which they purchased and poached their engineers from. The graphics came from ATI. What AMD needs to do as a strategy is work on getting good people, they got SeaMicro. They should have looked at buying ARM long ago when they would have been affordable to them. I don't think AMD has success when they try and create on their own ... had I been CEO, I'd have just been looking for solid companies and snapping them up and adding to their IP, which is why Intel really kicks their axx, not only do they have the manufacturing prowress but they have a huge leg in research.Had AMD had this approach long ago they'd be solid, it seems they don't cultivate or acquire talent very well by just hiring them to AMD.[/citation]

[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]this is competitive amd that is talking in this letter. they have been very vocal about their plans to expand the microserver business and adding ARM cpus among other things. of course theyd talk against their competition. thats how business works. AMD however talked against intel with valid facts. this is competition, not hate and fanboyism.[/citation]

Facts about some of Intel's history perhaps, but no solid facts related to the PERFORMANCE of any product Intel is releasing.

One definition of a lie is "intent to deceive."

MaXimus421

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
AMD is nervous about Intel getting ready to get into the mircoserver market on a serious level.

And rightfully so. I love AMD, but they will never beat Intel in ANY market that they decide they want to dominate. Because they can, and will. You can be sure of that.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
That's pretty funny. AMD doesn't have anything like it. The only thing close is their Bobcat CPUs but they don't support ECC, which can't classify as a server without ECC.

Intel licensed Cray's interconnect technology which is vastly superior to SeaMicro's PCIe based implementation. It's not integrated into the cores yet but they have 2 years before AMDs ARM64 chips will be out.

Sad for AMD when all they can say is "That didn't hurt!"

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Jaguar is a nice architecture, but lacks ECC to the best of my knowledge. As such, AMD can only release Atom or Piledriver based microservers for the foreseeable future. Shame, as Jaguar is looking pretty nice.

americanbrian

Distinguished
Ummm, so you are telling me that instead of ask the CEO to back up the claims you publish a news article (defending intel) without taking the open invitation to discuss these matters directly...

GREAT REPORTAGE!!!! (not)

markem

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Intel back stabbed Seamicro by not announcing the new atom server until now, seamicro has been pushing Intel since last year for this part.

Intel didn't want to release this part so AMD could not benefit much and also to not damage sales on its own servers. Now it seems Intel has no choice, so AMD rightfully is going to remind Intel how lousy it is.

my opinion on it, although its right.. am guessing TOM could shed some light on this after speaking with Seamicro

Seems to me the SeaMicro dude was trying to develop the micro-server market with Atom, and didn't get a great deal of assistance and support from Intel.

Intel saw his micro-servers as competition to their market share, and their lack of support for SeaMicro drove him to AMD, their chief competitor for server market share.

That, I believe, would be the definition of *Catch-22*

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]AMD E-Series anyone? They may be the consumer part, but they are certainly comparable to anything Atom.[/citation]

Sorry I cant thumb this up as it already is maxed at 20.

Star72

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]LOL all these intel fanboys.. Maybe AMD wouldn't be so bad off right now if intel hadn't completely screwed them over in the past. I'm no amd fanboy (still rocking i7), but come the hell on. Don't act like intel are freaking angels. It's just the normal bs these companies do nothing more nothing less.[/citation]

Thank you. Glad to see someone around here isn't just intent on bashing AMD & can have a different outlook on things, maybe even see things in an unbiased way.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]AMD E-Series anyone?They may be the consumer part, but they are certainly comparable to anything Atom.[/citation]

That might be true if the E-Series supported ECC and used half as much power. They can't because they're 40nm instead of 32nm.

AMDs Hondo will hit the TDP mark but it lacks ECC.
AMD needs to get their 28nm APUs/SoCs out.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
[citation][nom]Wisecracker[/nom]Seems to me the SeaMicro dude was trying to develop the micro-server market with Atom, and didn't get a great deal of assistance and support from Intel. Intel saw his micro-servers as competition to their market share, and their lack of support for SeaMicro drove him to AMD, their chief competitor for server market share.That, I believe, would be the definition of *Catch-22*[/citation]

Intel has indeed been reactionary in the low cost server market. It wasn't in their interest to beef up an Atom to compete with their more profitable but low end Xeon line. Now they need these chips to fend off ARM servers. Thank ARM and SeaMicro for that.

Unfortunately for SeaMicro Intel chose Cray's interconnect technology over theirs. That's why AMD got stuck buying SeaMicro when Intel clearly could have if they wanted to.

kog91

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
[citation][nom]anononon[/nom]"Integration is the space Intel has to catch up on, not architecture."On their next generation chips, they have integrated their wifi module into the wafer. Thats got to count for something next to the die shrink.[/citation]

Not really. That's more of a stick in the eye toward companies that produce Wifi chipsets (Broadcom, etc. ) as Intel will eliminate them from future Intel-based products. Just one more way Intel is trying to squeeze as much profit as they can.

markem

Honorable
May 1, 2012

Thats the same propaganda intel put out when amd purchased seamicro. :non:

AMD dont need intel to use atoms, they buy them on the market, plus Cray and seamicro are not the same.

Repeat after me "seamicro for micro-servers and Cray for supercomputers"

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
[citation][nom]markem[/nom]Thats the same propaganda intel put out when amd purchased seamicro. AMD dont need intel to use atoms, they buy them on the market, plus Cray and seamicro are not the same.Repeat after me "seamicro for micro-servers and Cray for supercomputers"[/citation]

That would imply there's no scalability in Cray's interconnect technology. As they say, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Cray has been at it for 4 decades. The micro-server of today is yesterday's supercomputer.

Intel got this for a steal at $140mil. AMD had to pay $330mil + salaries for a 80 person startup.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens, but either way having this embedded in the SoC/APU helps us customers.

senshu

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
"...makes statements that could be interpreted as blatantly false?" [emphasis mine]

What a completely meaningless string of words. Nearly anything could be interpreted nearly any way: especially a statement that is merely an opinion, such as "too little, too late".

[citation][nom]dkcomputer[/nom]Intel should come back with a press release on how AMD has somehow managed to release new, lower performing, higher wattage processors, than the crap they made 3 years ago[/citation]

That wold be an outright lie, so I wouldn't suggest that at all. For example, the FX-8350 uses less power than the 140W Phenom II x4s of several years ago, is better performing in every way (although to varying degrees in different workloads), and regardless, Phenom II wasn't even crap for the time. Even compared to Nehalem/Westmere and Core 2 that it competed with, Phenom II did quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.