AMD Steals Market Share From Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudemcduderson

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Yeah and PC's are dead everyone don't forget, also some idiot over at IGN posted an article on how consoles are dying also. Do these mainstream people really think that I will settle for playing garbage games on a freaking Android/iPhone/iPad anytime soon? HELL NO I WON'T!!!

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]dudemcduderson[/nom]Yeah and PC's are dead everyone don't forget, also some idiot over at IGN posted an article on how consoles are dying also. Do these mainstream people really think that I will settle for playing garbage games on a freaking Android/iPhone/iPad anytime soon? HELL NO I WON'T!!![/citation]

You, and the gamer community, are a minority in the total computer marketshare. For every gamer, there are possibly dozens or hundreds of non-gamers or casual ones, and why should they use desktop computers if laptops or tablets can easily fill in the computing job.

witcherx

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]dudemcduderson[/nom]Yeah and PC's are dead everyone don't forget, also some idiot over at IGN posted an article on how consoles are dying also. Do these mainstream people really think that I will settle for playing garbage games on a freaking Android/iPhone/iPad anytime soon? HELL NO I WON'T!!![/citation]

consoles.. yukkkk... i want to crap out when someone like you goes hohohho about the outdated consoles. Consoles have a shelf life of 1 year then it only spews out shit. Looks as if you like wataching all that shit.

of the way

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Buzz, the article states that, overall, AMD was the winner, despite losing in some segments. It appears that it was not a net loss.

dudemcduderson

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
[citation][nom]of the way[/nom]Buzz, the article states that, overall, AMD was the winner, despite losing in some segments. It appears that it was not a net loss.[/citation]

I don't think you even read 25% of my post, because I was being sarcastic with the first statement. My point was that neither PCs nor consoles will be gone anytime soon and that the third and final alternative MOBILE GAMING is not anywhere near the same experience.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
People ask me what is the best general-purpose laptops, and I recommend for the low end to get one with an AMD CPU if you don't mind a lower battery life simply because they include Radeon graphics.

Well... Even with Faildozer, AMD is still able to regain some market share. No matter how much %, they should consider that a win. Better step it up further with Piledriver, they should just scrap that Faildozer architecture.

G

Shin-san, why would someone want a lower end laptop that had a Radeon in it? If you care so little about the performance of the laptop, what is the point of the Radeon. What they likely need is a lot of battery life so you are honestly steering them in the wrong direction. You should figure out their needs first. If they want to play some games, then yes go with the AMD APU. If they are 'only' concerned about price, then they should still go with AMD for the most part although an i3 might be about the same price. If they have business computing needs, then they should go Intel. If they want more mobility, then they should go Intel. If they want high end, then they should go Intel. I would never send anyone AMD's way just for a Radeon though. They may never need its effects. This is why so many of these fools go tablet. They have no real use for a computer other than web browsing and may not need advanced gaming beyond Freescale and Angry Birdies.

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
AMD represents excellent mobile value IMO. You can get a really solid laptop for less than 1000$. I remember the days where a pentium 133mhz was nearly 5000$. We've come a long way since then.

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
[citation][nom]Submit2MyPurpose[/nom]Shin-san, why would someone want a lower end laptop that had a Radeon in it? If you care so little about the performance of the laptop, what is the point of the Radeon. What they likely need is a lot of battery life so you are honestly steering them in the wrong direction. You should figure out their needs first. If they want to play some games, then yes go with the AMD APU. If they are 'only' concerned about price, then they should still go with AMD for the most part although an i3 might be about the same price. If they have business computing needs, then they should go Intel. If they want more mobility, then they should go Intel. If they want high end, then they should go Intel. I would never send anyone AMD's way just for a Radeon though. They may never need its effects. This is why so many of these fools go tablet. They have no real use for a computer other than web browsing and may not need advanced gaming beyond Freescale and Angry Birdies.[/citation]

A common problem I see with laptops is "Yes I can bring my laptop over and play a game with you!"
And then they plug it in to find that their over powered CPU does absolutely nothing for simple gaming performance. If a 1600$ laptop can't run left4dead half as good as an 800$ one even on low settings then I don't think it's considered "all around good" but more "better option to run excel when no access to a power source"

papaspud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2012
AMD makes good laptop APU's for the price. They can't compete on the CPU end, but their integrated graphics blow intel's out of the water. 6 of 1 1/2 a dozen for the other, for $600 or so you can get a pretty powerful laptop running AMD chips, I know the cheap one I bought can play most any game out there right now. Desktop, Intel all the way, AMD is not hardly even competitive in this area.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]You, and the gamer community, are a minority in the total computer marketshare. For every gamer, there are possibly dozens or hundreds of non-gamers or casual ones, and why should they use desktop computers if laptops or tablets can easily fill in the computing job.[/citation]

you mean computing job such as wasting time on facebook?

workstations are called workstations for a reason and the guy you quoted was talking about gaming which will never be on par with desktop gaming in any other shape or form no matter how religiously some of the idiots preach just that

casual 'gamers' don't even know what it means to be a gamer so they settle for less, if you want the job done you will do it on a proper device and neither productive work nor gaming will ever be done properly on anything less than a desktop pc (no, not even consoles; before i get attacked on this one, let's just mention games that require any sort of multitasking such as rts genre - it cannot be done on a 4 button controller)

desktop pc is the king of gaming and will not be dethroned by the gimmicks we are getting fed with each year

edit: sorry for going completely off-topic

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Soda-88[/nom]you mean computing job such as wasting time on facebook?workstations are called workstations for a reason and the guy you quoted was talking about gaming which will never be on par with desktop gaming in any other shape or form no matter how religiously some of the idiots preach just thatcasual 'gamers' don't even know what it means to be a gamer so they settle for less, if you want the job done you will do it on a proper device and neither productive work nor gaming will ever be done properly on anything less than a desktop pc (no, not even consoles; before i get attacked on this one, let's just mention games that require any sort of multitasking such as rts genre - it cannot be done on a 4 button controller)desktop pc is the king of gaming and will not be dethroned by the gimmicks we are getting fed with each year[/citation]

Again, high-end gamers are a minority. Yes, performance desktops are the king of gaming, but they're an overkill for internet browsing, word processioning and movies.

Take a a step outside and go to the local Starbucks, or any other popular businesses with Wi-Fi. What do you see? Lots of laptops and tablets.

I do not need a desktop computer for internet browsing or videos, and having a desktop with a laptop or tablet for the same task is a redundant. And non-gamers completely outnumber gamers.

For workstations, why the hell would someone use a tablet or consumer laptop for such task? They would be using Xeon desktops (or very high end heavy laptops), and since many workstations' tasks demand high reliability, Xeons would be picked over i7s.

papaspud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2012
Take a a step outside and go to the local Starbucks, or any other popular businesses with Wi-Fi. What do you see? Lots of laptops and tablets.

Of course you aren't going to see any gamers at a Starbucks, what kind of statement is that. Go back to your Mac and iPad, many people still game on PC's even if they aren't Macs....... get out in the real world and get out of Starbucks...hahahaha

G

[citation][nom]pjmelect[/nom]I hope that Piledrive will turn things around for AMD.[/citation]
I am doubtful about that since its not that huge of a departure from Bulldozer. I wish they'd scrap the architecture and work up a new CPU based around performance per core not packing as many cores as possible. Which with the increasing use of GPU power and their APU line would have made a lot more since for them to begin with.

They need to do what Intel did after the Netburst failure, and come up with their own Core!

Status
Not open for further replies.