AMD Surprises With Revenue Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
I think that spinning off Global Foundries might be the downfall of AMD. They sold it to stay a float when they bought ATI, and while buying ATI was a good move, losing their manufacturing arm made them.. sic.. just like ARM, except they don't own the instruction set they design chips for.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Zanny[/nom]I think that spinning off Global Foundries might be the downfall of AMD. They sold it to stay a float when they bought ATI, and while buying ATI was a good move, losing their manufacturing arm made them.. sic.. just like ARM, except they don't own the instruction set they design chips for.[/citation]

think of 5 years out. intel tried, they did, to have a stand alone gpu years ago and failed.
amd im betting saw the cpu+gpu working in tandem being a solution for the future.

the cpu side of computing is more or less as good as it needs to be, even if a cpu doubled or trippled its power, it would do what? cut a 90 second operation that needs to be once into a 30 second operation? what programs require a top end intel cpu otherwise they feel sluggish?

the hdd to sdd is one thing that makes a computer feel faster
going from a phenom II x4 to an i7, while would be faster, wouldn't feel faster by much.
however, look at cpu alone operations compared to gpu assisted operations.
what a amd does in 10 minutes, intel does in 5, but any gpu does in 1.

point being that the future is gpu+cpu in tandem, and intel wont be ready when it happens, amd will.

sorry if my point doesnt come across well

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
To me this is scary news world would be a very bleak place if only Desktop/Laptop/Server Processor manufacture was Intel. The day AMD goes under is the day we all pay the price with our wallets in a very bad way.

I am starting to wonder if maybe AMD should look at selling off ATI and just going back to strictly CPU manufacturing. Correct me if I am wrong but seems they where doing really really good (top of the market) before they purchased ATI.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]hotroderx[/nom]I am starting to wonder if maybe AMD should look at selling off ATI and just going back to strictly CPU manufacturing. Correct me if I am wrong but seems they where doing really really good (top of the market) before they purchased ATI.[/citation]They're stronger with a graphics division. Their slide in the CPU-only market was inevitable. They really woke Intel up, back in the K8 days. Unfortunetely, all that really meant was that a motivated/threatened Intel dumped huge amounts of cash into R&D and leveraged their increasingly-superior fabs to outclass AMD - at least in the high end.

No, without their graphics division, they'd be dead meat. Not only are their discrete GPUs doing decently, but their latest APUs are actually competitive in low to mid range systems. Graphics is the only thing they really do better than Intel. If they continue to push GPU compute, and put GCN in their 3rd-gen APUs, they should be able to do decent across the board. Unfortunetely, they'll have to continue to fight tooth and nail, in the meantime.

Also, I definitely agree with you regarding pricing. AMD keeps Intel in check. If AMD really gets in trouble they might have to start looking at a merger/sale scenario, and I'm sure Intel will make any such move into some kind of legal circus.

dj1001

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
I really hope AMD doesn't go under, their E and C series apus stomp all over intel's atom platform. What I would like to see is AMD bring the APU platform into the mobile market ie. phones and tablets.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... donno why, but here in Latvia we don't get so many AMD products... i would like top-of-the-line laptop with latest'n'gratest APU from AMD...

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I'm not sure what's a better investment, burning my wallet or keeping AMD stock. Not only did I lose money on them, they brought my other stocks down with them. What was I thinking when I bought this stock???

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
SA seemed to believe AMD may have been undercut by either Intel or NVIDIA (more than likely the former) and that we'll see it in their figures soon enough.

Also, didn't AMD have a massive GPU order recently? I suppose that wouldn't go in these figures; shocking if it did.

drbendanillo

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
IF AMD is able to create a CPU that uses the GPU's shaders to calculate an x86 coded FP instruction (Not OpenCL) then it would be a high performance CPU.They should build a shader that is fast enough to compute FP instruction like on the CPU's FPU.

Piledriver is :( because they did not prioritize the Floating Point Units.
OpenCL is great but.....it only applies to parallel compute algorithms, serial compute is not as fast as it is runned on generic way.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
We don't really know much about Piledriver, but I guess you're right; there's no real sign of a boost to FP calculation speed besides the higher clock speeds.

Sadly, fatter cores with faster cache and a ring bus just look to be what'll rule the CPU world for some time to come. :(

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Zanny[/nom]I think that spinning off Global Foundries might be the downfall of AMD. They sold it to stay a float when they bought ATI, and while buying ATI was a good move, losing their manufacturing arm made them.. sic.. just like ARM, except they don't own the instruction set they design chips for.[/citation]

What are you talking about? If they didn't AMD would have gone bankrupt. Selling their fab off was the best thing they could have done to keep them afloat.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Why is everyone posting as if AMD is going to die simply because they posted a decrease of 11% in revenue. AMD has went through much tougher times than this. AMD will survive. They are only getting stronger from this point on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS