AMD Tells Girls How to Attract a Geeky Boyfriend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I guess that might be good advice to get a very very geeky guy. I'm quite the geek but most of that seems ridiculous to me. Enjoy gaming, have basic PC knowledge, and don't be a dumbass. Done!

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
I was unaware that there are throngs of girls out there who are desperately looking for geek-love (especially girls that are far enough away from "geeks" that they need lessons on how to be more "geek-like"). Either times are changing, or I'm really missing something.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]wintermint[/nom]The pic is very distracting can't read article D:[/citation]
Lol! I think the pic is the "TL;DR" version.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
First of all, nothing says hello like a nice rack. Geek or not.

I was never a prototypical geek at all, but I didn't really care if a girl played games or not, so long as she didn't have a big problem with me enjoying them. I can say without any doubt, there's no woman who could hold my interest as long as a game of Civilization, or Panzer General, and so long as she understood this was nothing negative about her, the part about being a geek was never an issue.

But, I'd never date a woman who didn't like animals. They're generally selfish and unsupportive. How they relate to computers is a matter of profound indifference to me.

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Women having a hard time picking up nerds? What the hell?!? Is today some kind of weird Opposite Day or something? I think the biggest problem is the ratio of nerd-boys to nerd-girls. Then there's the ratio of hot-nerd-girls to the holy-cow-kill-it-with-fire-nerd-girls. The whole article is unbelievable. Generic advice for an invented problem.

G

I'm with Wolfram23. It's really not as complicated as Ms. Sobon makes it out to be. Gaming is a must, because most geeks spend a lot of time gaming, and and acceptable level of intelligence are all that's needed (not necessarily including a technological affinity.)

Personally I'd like to know why a non-geek is seeking out a geek in the first place. If it's based on some stereotypical notion of relationship security, that's not gonna fly.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Message to females looking for a geek.

If you suck at gaming, sandwich making is fine. (laundry skills is also a plus)

You'll never win our hearts through posing, so don't (like Jane said)!

aquila

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
How about like a certain witty technophile/gamer girl who does journalism for a living for an online tech media company? And she's totally cute too! ;)
Jokes aside (or am I?), I certainly wouldn't mind my lady occasionally sharing my geeky side, but most importantly, mutual understanding and respect for each person's values.
And hey, having diverse interests (including non-geeky stuff) is good for you anyway...

jeraldjunkmail

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I agree, seems like an invented problem. However, it is usually the geeks that have a hard time relating to (and speaking to) non-geeks, not the other way around.

Look, if you are a geek, and love going to games workshop and building PC's and PC gaming, than LOVE those things, be genuine about it, and just try to broaden your range of interests too. Don't push those things on women, because unless you are really lucky she isn't really interested in the same things.

She likes movies, celebrities, fashion, and if you are lucky, some nerd stuff too, or some intellectual stuff. For the ladies, don't try to be interested in stuff you aren't really interested, but be supportive of your geek man. He is not ignoring you, he is being a geek, which takes a lot of time.

My advice for both sexes is to learn how to dance, find NEW genuine interests all the time that you can share and BE HONEST ABOUT IT, nobody likes doing fake crap.

Be passionate about all your true loves.

G

Geeky chicks (like Jane) are like unicorns - extremely rare to the point of unbelief.

G

sorry you can't program this one :( If you did then you know it is "artificial". There are many variables than work as effectively, such as, the fabled "opposites attract". Truth of the matter is nobody can control who they are attracted to, you can try to synthesize it, but don't you find that foolish, unnatural and or desperate? Find someone who likes you for who you are and don't try to deceive someone for you only will deceive yourself in the end. A true geeks is smart enough to love everyone for who they are and do not expect anyone to have to conform to a stereotype to be accepted. ;)

AgentOrange

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
the fact that this article is supposed to be for women is kinda funny considering the pic in the header is probably attracting a lot more guys than girls

Status
Not open for further replies.