Question AMD Threadripper 1950X runs at 0.60Ghz HELP!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 17, 2018
Hi, I just build my TR4 workstation PC but I noticed a problem after doing some work clock speeds inconsistent after it hits temp 50c core clock speed drop to 0.60Ghz on all cores then it goes back to 3.70Ghz and so on!

CPU temps
idle 28c
MAX 52c

CPU cooler: Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 dual fan config.
Mobo: ASrock tatcihi X399 (P3.30 BIOS).
RAM: G.skill Flare X 3200mhz dual channel so far. Memory slots config > [1000] - [0100]

I'm happy with the rendering speeds but why it drops speed in the middle of the process?
here's a pic:

Capture.PNG.5e0fa9c494c45f0e15b6812e61574237.PNG

coroa.PNG.441e10e51d3071a75dad8c697d1674a0.PNG

Please HELP!

Oct 17, 2018
HWiNFO64 might be able to give you an idea what the problem is. There's usually sensors that tell you if something is being throttled. My CPU, for example, has temperature throttling and power limit outputs. If any of them say "Yes" then that is probably the problem.

Judging by the spikes in use it kind of appears to be the idle frequency but I do not know what the power saving frequencies are for threadrippers. My 6600K's idle state is 8x BCLK or 800MHz.
OK.JPG

wt.JPG

compprob237

Distinguished
Well then... That explains the throttling. The VRMs ("VR" -> Voltage Regulator) will cut power output when they hit 120°C because that's the typical max temperature rating for the VRMs. Do you have any fans blowing on the VRM heatsinks? These are north of the CPU socket, between the RAM slots, and west of the CPU socket, past the RAM slots near the IO back panel.

If not then see what blasting a high-airflow fan on the grey heatsinks around the CPU does. I'll bet the temperature drops significantly and you might not throttle anymore.

Reactions: fv8fv8fv8
Oct 17, 2018
Well then... That explains the throttling. The VRMs ("VR" -> Voltage Regulator) will cut power output when they hit 120°C because that's the typical max temperature rating for the VRMs. Do you have any fans blowing on the VRM heatsinks? These are north of the CPU socket, between the RAM slots, and west of the CPU socket, past the RAM slots near the IO back panel.

If not then see what blasting a high-airflow fan on the grey heatsinks around the CPU does. I'll bet the temperature drops significantly and you might not throttle anymore.
Yes that's why! but it should work without any fans right?! anyways I tried to add fans but not that much improvement still! plus I have one of the best cases when it comes to air flow the CROSAIR AIR 540 with plenty of Noctua fans! keep in mind I touched the heatsink my self I can't feel anything hot at all! it's freezing instead.

compprob237

Distinguished
it should work without any fans right?! anyways I tried to add fans but not that much improvement still! plus I have one of the best cases when it comes to air flow the CORSAIR AIR 540 with plenty of Noctua fans! keep in mind I touched the heatsink my self I can't feel anything hot at all! it's freezing instead.
Usually it will work without fans but some cases would need air directed at them. Your case shouldn't have a problem. Now, the heatsink not being hot is a major problem. That heatsink should be at, or close to, the temperature you're getting from the VR temperature sensor. 95-120C should be quite hot so something must be wrong with the VRM heatsink.

Just to verify before you go and initiate RMA with Asrock:
I want to make sure that, while the system is under load, you're touching the large gray metal block with "X399" on it (This is the "West" one I mentioned) and also the north gray metal block. These should be quite hot and if they're not then you certainly have an RMA case on your hands. That motherboard should be able to handle the CPUs with passive cooling such as a little air moving through the area.

Reactions: fv8fv8fv8 and boju
The main problem you have here OP is that most people don't have a lovely Threadripper and only guess on what they know from normal PC's.
Everyone who has replied is trying to help, but most if not all don't have your setup.

I'd love to add something, but don't have experience with what you have.
What I would try and don't know if its possible, is can you turn off the cores? Start with as few as possible and see if you can get it to do the same.

Reactions: boju
Oct 17, 2018

Usually it will work without fans but some cases would need air directed at them. Your case shouldn't have a problem. Now, the heatsink not being hot is a major problem. That heatsink should be at, or close to, the temperature you're getting from the VR temperature sensor. 95-120C should be quite hot so something must be wrong with the VRM heatsink.

I want to make sure that, while the system is under load, you're touching the large gray metal block with "X399" on it (This is the "West" one I mentioned) and also the north gray metal block. These should be quite hot and if they're not then you certainly have an RMA case on your hands. That motherboard should be able to handle the CPUs with passive cooling such as a little air moving through the area.
OMG man shit! I have bad luck! yeah I tried even to touch under the blocks no sings of heat at all and yeah The mobo should handle that CPU with 3.80ghz ~ 4.0ghz on all cores too not just stock speeds I can't RMA anymore I passed 15 day! I built the PC a little bit late since I got the mobo! 😢

Oct 17, 2018
The main problem you have here OP is that most people don't have a lovely Threadripper and only guess on what they know from normal PC's.
Everyone who has replied is trying to help, but most if not all don't have your setup.

I'd love to add something, but don't have experience with what you have.
What I would try and don't know if its possible, is can you turn off the cores? Start with as few as possible and see if you can get it to do the same.
I respect your replay I know but it should work right out of the box since I didn't even do anything everything is on default no O.C np nothing.

If the cores are reduced down to say 4 if that is possible, and it's still throttling back, this would indicate a proper hardware problem in my eyes.
Maybe you are right, does it matter what the problem is? Maybe have to RMA it all and get them to sort it out.
Doesn't AMD have some suggestions? I am sure they look after their Threadripper community better than the masses.

Oct 17, 2018
If the cores are reduced down to say 4 if that is possible, and it's still throttling back, this would indicate a proper hardware problem in my eyes.
Maybe you are right, does it matter what the problem is? Maybe have to RMA it all and get them to sort it out.
Doesn't AMD have some suggestions? I am sure they look after their Threadripper community better than the masses.
It's not AMD fault it's ASrock fault and what makes me even more angry I'm trying to contact with their customer support for almost week now and guess what no answers whatsoever! nothing wrong with AMD side they're trying help they got amazing customer service team, anyways don't get me wrong it's a great motherboard and I loved it but I wasn't lucky with it this time, Also The FedEx guys should learn how to handle things with care motherfuc****s.

Oct 17, 2018

Yeah The sensor is giving the motherboard wrong reads I'm still waiting to ASrock to explain....

Reactions: compprob237

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Be worth trying different bios revisions incase there's something wrong with version youre currently on.

Latest is 3.50
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X399 Taichi/index.asp#BIOS

Try latest first. If still a problem try 2.30.

If you try, after changing bios versions, load bios defaults by clearing cmos to make sure cmos is wiped and refreshed with new parameters from that version of bios.

Oct 17, 2018
Be worth trying different bios revisions incase there's something wrong with version youre currently on.

Latest is 3.50
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X399 Taichi/index.asp#BIOS

Try latest first. If still a problem try 2.30.

If you try, after changing bios versions, load bios defaults by clearing cmos to make sure cmos is wiped and refreshed with new parameters from that version of bios.
I Changed the bios many times but I didn't clear the CMOS before updating, I did clear the CMOS but never updated the BIOS after it.

Oct 17, 2018
It's probably good practice to restore bios defaults before updating bios (not necessary) but i meant after any bios update (of any version) should clear cmos.

Have you tried those bios versions i suggested?
Oh man yeah whatever I lost it this time, I'm getting new mobo soon from Gigabyte since I have good luck with Gigabyte mobos .

Oct 17, 2018
Was probably the motherboard all this time. I think you did enough to try rectify the problem so i wish you luck with a different motherboard.
Yeah man It's was a great motherboard I loved it and it looks so good but I don't have a feeling that I can buy the same mobo again sadly I will try another company this time, anyways thank you so much for your help.

Oct 17, 2018

Is there any way to shut that sensor I really don't want to spend another 400$ for a motherboard :( & quick question does CPU Undervoltage damage the CPU?