AMD Threadripper 3990X: How I set 10 Overclocking Records

slash3

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
Great write-up. I used to play with cascade phase change cooling during the P3/P4 and Core 1/2 days, and while I never personally took the dive into LN2 I still keep up with the XOC community. It's an entirely different game from standard air or water based overclocking.

Rather than trying to minimize thermals you begin to run into actual hardware limitations, as well as material property challenges. From power to humidity, cold bugs, broken multipliers, frequency holes and dozens of other new and interesting problems.

Multi core processors like this are less of a drag race and more of a tractor pull. I love it.

It really does become half art, half science. But it's always wholly fun to follow.

Reactions: SampsonJackson
Pure legend right here.

bnqpc.jpg

Great write-up. I used to play with cascade phase change cooling during the P3/P4 and Core 1/2 days, and while I never personally took the dive into LN2 I still keep up with the XOC community. It's an entirely different game from standard air or water based overclocking.

Rather than trying to minimize thermals you begin to run into actual hardware limitations, as well as material property challenges. From power to humidity, cold bugs, broken multipliers, frequency holes and dozens of other new and interesting problems.

Multi core processors like this are less of a drag race and more of a tractor pull. I love it.

It really does become half art, half science. But it's always wholly fun to follow.
I guess this picture sums it up.

gettyimages-1172704680_custom-18f31722ec7f1252719cd5e40b010850f04223fc-s800-c85.jpg

Reactions: slash3

schmuckley

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 18, 2011
The server tip is Golden. I bet no other bencher besides me has read this.
Curse you Allen! Must share ..wait..you're on the team..be sure and tell them about the server OS thing.
You know where..Please?
Say hi to Trouff for me. LOL!

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks for the writeup. I'll admit I didn't read the whole thing, but I didn't find any mention of lapping the CPU, in spite of the top photo showing what appears to be a partially-lapped CPU. Did you do it by hand, or use a grinding wheel?

Reactions: steve4king
Mar 17, 2020
Wow, cool stuff. I’m trying to imagine the financial place I’d have to be in to subject a $4000 CPU to such torture just to get top benchmarks. I guess it’s like trying to get the land speed record or something. Sometimes things blow up.

_
PrepaidCardStatus Activation

Last edited:
Reactions: Bamda