Question AMD Threadripper Chipsets – Do they come with built-in RAID?

WhityKnight

Prominent
Mar 10, 2023
INTEL chipsets come with Intel Rapid Storage Technology RAID drivers. So, provided there are enough drives installed, RAID is available right away.

Is the same available for AMD CPUs (i.e. their chipsets and motherboards)? If so, what's its brand name?

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for enlightening me!

Strange: IRST appears in the BIOS (UEFI) an is activated in the BIOS setup. Yet, it's software based?
The BIOS is software just permanently written to PROM.
One of the biggest benefits of hardware RAID is the ASIC chips that do the parity calculations. And there are very few situations where RAID is a recommended implementation for home users.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhityKnight

WhityKnight

Prominent
Mar 10, 2023
I'm a software engineer, working with laptops and without permanent Internet access, containing business vital information. And I do want to spare me the burdon of doing daily backups. That's not within my available timeframe.

All my machines are using RAID 1. I'm equipping them with three or more SSDs, so I'll be kept safe from every kind of hardware failure. (Although that didn't exactly work with IRST since they switched from a Windows application to an UWP app)

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
I'm a software engineer, working with laptops and without permanent Internet access. And do want to spare me the burdon of doing daily backups. That's not within my available timeframe.
Automation.

My main system backs up each of its 6 drives every night.
Between the hours of 0200 and 0600.

Takes exactly 0.0 seconds out of my day to do this backup.

So your 'RAID' was to be some sort of backup thing?
That's not the way it works.

Any sort of RAID (barring RAID 0) is only for physical drive fail.
It does nothing for all the other forms of data loss.

Reactions: COLGeek

WhityKnight

Prominent
Mar 10, 2023
Any sort of RAID (barring RAID 0) is only for physical drive fail.
It does nothing for all the other forms of data loss.

Exactly. That's what I'm using it for.

Remember what I wrote a few messages before? Using laptops, no permanent Internet connection, or dealing with sensitive customer data you agreed to not store on servers outside the company? So, where do your backups go? To some folder on the same (faulting) drive?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Nope, I tend to consider RAID 1 the perfect backup strategy. That's what it's made for.
Physical drive fail, maybe.

Does nothing for all the other forms of potential data loss.

So, it does this while your system is switched off?
Generally, my system is on 24/7. But if I wished, the Macrium Reflect scheduler would shut it down after the last nightly Incremental is finished.

USAFRet

Titan
Nope, I tend to consider RAID 1 the perfect backup strategy. That's what it's made for.
And any accidental formatting, malware, deletion, other software corruption...RAID 1 does nothing for all of that.

RAID 1 is for continued uptime, in the event of physical drive fail. Not data protection.
Such as...if you were running a public webstore, and if it goes down, you lose sales.
A RAID 1 lets the system limp along until you can schedule downtime to replace the dead drive.

Reactions: ex_bubblehead
And any accidental formatting, malware, deletion, other software corruption...RAID 1 does nothing for all of that.
Yup, what happens on one drive happens simultaneously on the other. Delete a file, it's gone from both and not trivially recoverable (if at all). Get a virused up file, the mirror is also virused up. RAID only aids in recovery from a hardware failure. It does nothing for "Dumb thumb disease"