Review AMD Threadripper Pro 5995WX and 5975WX Review: Sheer Threaded Dominance

I love the latching mechanism of sWRX8. They should consider using it in consumer as well. I mean, they're already going to ask for a pretty penny on the current one, so why not just make the mechanism the best in the industry?

And this looks quite impressive, specially since these can also do games quite well it seems. I wonder if AMD will ever put a "mini-Milan-X" in sWRX8 for whomever can pay for it? XD

Regards.

Snagged an OEM ThinkStation P620 Workstation 16 or so months ago from RTP for $2,400 with ...
  • AMD Ryzen TR Pro 3945WX
  • 32GB DDR4-3200 RDIMM ECC
  • Quadro P2200 5GB - 4x DP_1.4
  • Marvell 10Gb Ethernet
  • 512 GB M.2 Gen 3 PCIe SSD
Built software RAID with 1TB Samsung SSDs, updated softwares (primarily Vegas Pro) with Canon SLR stuff and fancy appurtenances. Will do a minute -- in 30 seconds.

Other than a !%$@!*^ noisy PSU fan, it has been bulletproof ___ BUT, our good friends at AMD are taking advantage of their captured market. OEM prices easily are up 50% ...

Aug 22, 2022
Not a great article: this is a workstation processor and you're leading with gaming benchmarks, and continue to mostly cover gaming.

Then there's the Windows 10/11 discussion.

Please do better next time.

Nov 12, 2022
"The problem is AMD has left the two lower-end 12- and 16-core Pro models as OEM-only, so they won't come to retail."

NewEgg has the Threadripper PRO 5955WX available now for $1299:

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-pro-5955wx/p/N82E16819113776

That's a pretty hefty entry price for a home system, but it is available. The quad channel memory of the 3000 series was also better matched to the enthusiast market; only servers and high-end workstations benefit from the 8-channel memory. But I understand AMD's position; they are supply-constrained, so might as well go for the highest-priced markets available.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

This is not an option for home DIY builders, unless they have more money than sense

This is a workstation class processor and this is what we use at work on our workstations with tons of RAM and lots of storage so we can run as many virtual machines at once as we need for software development and testing

Threadrippers are all we use. we don’t bother with intel because they have NOTHING to touch it

Nov 12, 2022
This is not an option for home DIY builders, unless they have more money than sense

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that, given the cost of a complete system on this platform. I was also a professional software developer, now retired. The last system I built for myself around 2013, which I'm still using, is a dual AMD Opteron 4234 with 16 GB of memory and all SSD storage. If I were to build a new system today, it would be with Threadripper. Though as I mentioned, for software development 8 memory channels is overkill; 4 really was the sweet spot. I ran our complete runtime environment on my system: a DBMS (Oracle or PostgreSQL), a web server with a JavaEE stack, a JBoss app server, plus all my development tools (Eclipse, etc.)

So, there is still a need for powerful workstation-class systems for individual end-users, but the numbers are small compared to the overall size of the market.