AMD Tigris Notebook Platform is Good at Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

vider

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
That is good news, I'm happy I didn't buy my laptop yet. Now the HD4200 (Which most probably will be the base gpu in any laptop with AMD in it, will be able to encode videos) will help me encode my Animes to my PSP on the go, that is good news. :)

G

It looks to me like AMD may have caught up to Intel on the notebook platform, and Intel won't have an answer anytime soon. Nehalem was designed for servers, it just requires too much electricity to make an effective notebook CPU at a sufficient clockspeed, whereas Pentium M was designed specifically for notebooks, and then became Core2 later.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
"The most amazing and new feature of this Tigris-based notebook for me was the GPU-assisted video encoding. … Of the 15 videos I tested, when I was using the GPU, I got nearly twice the performance … "

Twice the performance of what?

G

[citation][nom]nun[/nom]hmm i wonder the price[/citation]

knowing ati it will be a good value probably affordable and definitely less than nvidia

Shnur

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
I'm really excited about all the things they are bringing to the table recently. There's a new competition that will be created between Intel and AMD and that's great since we need lower prices on new technologies... I'm tired of seeing only slower CPUs from Intel in the Mobile market... and the 1 or 2 faster ones cost nearly 1k to add up...

jayayess1190

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
[citation][nom]Go_AMD_[/nom]It looks to me like AMD may have caught up to Intel on the notebook platform, and Intel won't have an answer anytime soon. Nehalem was designed for servers, it just requires too much electricity to make an effective notebook CPU at a sufficient clockspeed, whereas Pentium M was designed specifically for notebooks, and then became Core2 later.[/citation]

So what is the upcoming Calpella platform featuring notebook Nehalem cpu's?

G

jayayess: Yeah, and the clockspeeds are way down from the previous generation, it looks to be no better than Core2 was at this point, it may do more work per clock, but not enough.

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
[citation][nom]Acalpella[/nom]jayayess: Yeah, and the clockspeeds are way down from the previous generation, it looks to be no better than Core2 was at this point, it may do more work per clock, but not enough.[/citation]

Yes, but will have a X4500 on die. Witch by the way, is still based on the old..old...i740. With GPGPU rising, we will see. Honestly, nowadays CPU is overrated.

werfu

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
IHMO I think it's one of the best marketing decision AMD has done for a while. Netbooks and UMD are going to take more and more importance.

G

At least AMD tries to create a good netbook, unlike Intel which puts a slow processor, with a battery eating bridge controller, waits for 2 years until the fab made enough profit,before they go over to the real deal for netbooks!

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Atticah[/nom]i would hope a laptop can play games/moviesotherwise why else buy one?[/citation]

Every single integrated graphics laptop (besides AMD/ATI) is on par with a mid-level AGP card from 2004. In a word, useless for gaming.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Atticah[/nom]i would hope a laptop can play games/moviesotherwise why else buy one?[/citation]
The HD 4200 graphics mean they're using the 785G chipset, so check reviews (like Tom's) for gaming benchmarks if you want an idea of how it'll do under best-case scenarios. I reckon the laptop will be a bit weaker though, due to the processor limitations and tweaks made to conserve power.

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
But with only one CPU under 35W TDP, and that's a single core at 2.0GHz, you're going to have to compromise quite a bit. Performance, battery run-time, or weight? Pick any two.

Intel has Core 2 Duos up to 3.06GHz @ 35W TDP, Core 2 Duo's up to 2.66GHz @ 25W TDP and even Core 2 Duo's @ 2.13GHz at 17W TDP. Combine it with the Nvidia 9400M (MCP79) chipset (2x the 3Dmark 06 score of the Radeon HD4200) and you've got performance (CPU and GPU), battery run-time, and low weight. I'm sure AMD's get the price advantage, but to me performance, battery run-time and low weight (due to less battery) are more important than a few hundred dollar price difference.

Prior to the Pentium-M/Core release, AMD was kicking Intel's butt, but AMD has yet to match Intel in the post P4 era. AMD is not competitive clock for clock, raw performance, or power efficiency. The only areas they are beating Intel is in GPU performance and price.

AMD, we need you back in the game with a really competitive CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.