AMD to Bump Out Nvidia for New MacBook Pros?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
[citation][nom]wribbs[/nom]Apple gets a ridiculous amount of press coverage.This news in particular really makes me yawn.Congrats AMD I guess.[/citation]

They do but I would rather have more articles to choose from rather than less you know? Besides everyone who wrote comments must've looked at the article. =)

RobinPanties

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
[citation][nom]wribbs[/nom]Apple gets a ridiculous amount of press coverage.This news in particular really makes me yawn.Congrats AMD I guess.[/citation]

I tend to agree with that statement; the part about Apple getting too much press coverage and the yawning. Apple just doesn't sell enough product to actually make it news worthy. If this were a Macintosh website or something, I could maybe see where this is news, but this is really more a loss for nVidia, than a gain for AMD. Most of the units in the price range that average people will be willing to spend money on are going to include Intel graphics. More than likely, if they spend more, it's going to be to replace the {supposedly leaked} 320 GB 5400 RPM hard drive with an overpriced SSD, upgrade to more RAM, and/or get a bigger screen. Doubt they'll pay much more for a discrete graphics card no matter who's making it... because Mac is pants for gaming. The first question on almost any comment section relating to graphics is "Yeah, but does it run Crysis"... so, if the answer is no or , barely, if you run bootcamp/parallels in order to alt-boot Windows just to run it, and after doing all that, it runs like dookie... then does it really matter what video card is in there?

thomaseron

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
[citation][nom]sonofliberty08[/nom]is the mobile SB have the bug too ?[/citation]

Not likely, because you most of the time don't use more than 2 ports in a laptop. 1 harddrive and one optical. :)

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Are people really going to use this for gaming?
The only way that makes sense is to bootcamp into Windows, and then, why did you buy a Mac?

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]thomaseron[/nom]Not likely, because you most of the time don't use more than 2 ports in a laptop. 1 harddrive and one optical. :)[/citation]
that means the bug is still there rite ? i won't put my lovely money on a product that come with bug , unless it is technically fixed , i wonder how about u guys ......

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Well, they're out and speculations are true. I like when Apple implants new technologies in their products lines because it helps those technologies go mainstream. Apple has Thunderbolt? Be sure that Thunderbolt devices will flood the market in the next couple of months.

Kudos to AMD for bumping Nvidia this time! It's gonna help them stay competitive in the graphics segment. Let's hope they do the same soon for their CPUs...

jasonh8806

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
[citation][nom]Wish I Was Wealthy[/nom]Intel's cpu will not be enough for mobile gamers though,so the 13 inch will only be for the university type...The others though,I doubt will be of any use for gamers anyway...So if you game you will have to go to pc based mobiles instead...[/citation]
This has always been the case, Apple has never been a good gaming platform nor should it boast itself as one. I still think they produce well designed products with an OS that I particularly like

[citation][nom]binoyski[/nom]Too bad for MacBook Pros I guess, it will not be able to "Play Crysis 2 in 3D w/ PhysX On".[/citation]
but it will be able to play it without the battery going flat in 5 mins... Seriously, no mobile gfx chip is even capable of producing good framerate with physx and 3d on. And its a macbook! who on earth would buy a macbook for gaming!!! You are a true Nvidia FANBOI

THEfog101

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]but it will be able to play it without the battery going flat in 5 mins... Seriously, no mobile gfx chip is even capable of producing good framerate with physx and 3d on. And its a macbook! who on earth would buy a macbook for gaming!!! You are a true Nvidia FANBOI[/citation]

And You are a true ATI 'FANBOI'!
Seriously, did you drop out of elementary school or something? Learn to Spell.......and stop kissing ATI's Ass while your at it.

verbalizer

Distinguished

not kidding, left.. :p
I'm not a mac guy and I prefer nVidia to ATi/AMD.
don't get me wrong one of my units runs a HD5670 and I also have more AMD units than Intel.
so I wouldn't say that I'm a fanboi either.
AMD needs this deal to compete becuase nVidia is winning the desktop/workstation battle.
AMD will have issues at first just like nVidia did and then the loss of phys-X (in the games I play)
if not heat then it will be performance and/or driver issues.
makes it a no for me..

this is of course my opinion.

verbalizer

Distinguished

good point, I did not know that..

Status
Not open for further replies.