AMD To Cut Prices of Some FM1 APUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

adgjlsfhk

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
AMD should focus on gaming laptops. They could deliver cheap gaming laptops that would blow intel ones in the same range out of the water.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
there are a lot of core 2 duo users out there, may be if they are smart enough to grab us without big upgrade cost. Now is to get the mobo maker cost down.

I wouldn't mind upgrading my old PC, if I only have to top up just $50-75 for the entire platform change(CPU+mobo+RAM) + speed boost.

A3300 is a dual 2.5Ghz, so upgrading from core 2 duo isnt really make any sense. May be a A6 in these kind of price?

edgewood112358

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
$30 for an A4 APU!? even though its a fairly weak processor, with 4GB of RAM and a 2TB HDD this thing would make an unbeatable HTPC for less than $300.

[citation][nom]lostmyclan[/nom]mine htpc is a 3770k at 4.3ghz, one a4 is only for backup and files sharing. sorry amd but you have the fm2 already and the fm1 mobos is a pain in the @ss[/citation]
why would a home theater system need the processing power of an i7? its extremely unnecessary. If you use the i7 for a different purpose like work, then it isn't considered a HTPC anymore.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]lostmyclan[/nom]its my central multimidia works and games, wi-fi hdmi for the tv, wi-fi mice and keyboard and a monitor 24"" for games purposes... and the i7 have less power draw than amd chips.[/citation]

Riiight, I;m sure your i7 paired with a Nvidia $70 GT$$$$ draws less at the plug than a AMD APU.

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
[citation][nom]adgjlsfhk[/nom]AMD should focus on gaming laptops. They could deliver cheap gaming laptops that would blow intel ones in the same range out of the water.[/citation]
they are focusing on laptops. i'm pretty sure the first A10 cpu came out for mobiles. i could be wrong because i don't really focus on AMD CPUs anymore. i do know that the integrated GPUs are awesome and they are the best CPU to get for budget gaming desktops, HTPCs and laptops.

ragenalien

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Bloob 10/18/2012 6:41 AM
Hide
Insert quote. Report -0+

Anyone know how well these work with Linux? Mainly, are the GPU-drivers good?

Linux drivers are terrible for these. Build a cheap desktop from an A6 back in April for a linux development machine, zero opencl/gl support. Ended up slapping windows on it and giving it to my parents to replace their core2duo.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]ragenalien[/nom]Linux drivers are terrible for these. Build a cheap desktop from an A6 back in April for a linux development machine, zero opencl/gl support. Ended up slapping windows on it and giving it to my parents to replace their core2duo.[/citation]
Thanks for replying ( and quickly at that ). :)

But damn, these would have been great for a small linux-box. While RAM is cheap atm I wouldn't want to buy more than 1 GB for a HTPC, and most distros run great on 1GB.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
It all makes sense, really. Most of the morons that review AMD processors keep calling single core chips dual core because AMD does. In reality, they aren't. They are barely more of a dual core chip than an Intel with hyper-threading; the extra integer units add about 15% real estate.

So, they get penalized in the reviews, because their 'quad-core' chips lose to Intel 'dual-core' chips in many disciplines. But, in terms of sales, their dual core is small, because it's not one, whereas Intel dual cores are real dual cores.

They do waste quite a bit of real estate on their APUs with the GPU part, but as more apps get optimized to use those resources, maybe it will pay off. Maybe not though. If it doesn't, it makes no sense since anyone needing real video capability needs a discrete cards, and if you're using it for the basics, you need less than these APUs have, and it just adds to cost. It's in a bad area right now, too weak or too expensive, but rarely just right. Unless more apps use it for other purposes.

G

Bloob, ragenalien's comment is simply not true. You will get OpenGL support out of the box with standard opensource drivers that come with every modern Linux distribution. For OpenCL and video acceleration you just need to install AMD's Catalyst drivers. Ubuntu will do it for you, with other distributions it might be a tiny little bit more involved, but it's not complicated at all.

TobiSGD

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
So they drop prices on an obsolete platform without upgrade path that was replaced with a platform that was already announced to be obsolete and without upgrade path when it hit the market.
Makes sense, otherwise no one would buy an obsolete platform without upgrade path.

proffet

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
cut prices, you need to slash them by more than half or give them things away.
I'm waiting to see all the FM2 and it's (CPU side) capabilities before I even look at AMD again.
power consumption, IPC, overclocking headroom...

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Umm... there's Trinity A10-5800K/A8-5600K reviews all over the net with that sort of information. What you should be waiting for, however, is A10-5700 and Athlon II X4 750K reviews if you want a better view of power consumption at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.