AMD to Launch 95 Watt FX-8300 CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]lostmyclan[/nom]95 watts I want. Time to sell the 3770k and move to piledriver[/citation]

ummmm you do know the i7 3770k is a 77w chip, and even the old i5 2500k stock eats those AMD's alive right?

more positive news means there tweaking the process some more, squeezing more out of it -- a few reviews will see whether this will increase the overclock-ability or hamper it

atavanhalen

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
[citation][nom]machvelocy[/nom]If it can reach the same turbo as the 8350, isn't it mean that it is just an underclocked 8350? Why more expensive then?[/citation]

Read the article!

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
That's a picture of an FX-8150. I'd rather they just put the FX logo instead of it, because it makes it look like this article was put together in a hurry, or the author is too lazy to get a proper picture to put in it.

halcyon

Splendid
While I'd choose Intel right now because I'm a performance fan-boy above anything else (money comes...money goes) I'm glad to see AMD is still in there and that they're not giving up.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
[citation][nom]crisan_tiberiu[/nom]I dont agree with people saying that :Intel eats AMD piledriver alive", I have a 2600k and want to build another rig, and its going to be AMD (fx 4300 probably).[/citation]
That would be a terrible downgrade

flexxar

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]ummmm you do know the i7 3770k is a 77w chip, and even the old i5 2500k stock eats those AMD's alive right?more positive news means there tweaking the process some more, squeezing more out of it -- a few reviews will see whether this will increase the overclock-ability or hamper it[/citation]

What are your sources for "even the old i5 2500k stock eats those AMD's alive"? In Tom's fx8350 review, they showed it beating the new i5 3570 in 6 out of 11 applications.

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
How overclocks?
Does the 95W TDP mean stepping improvements or simply is able to cope with top speeds based on usage scenario (which is handled by the CPU itself to keep it under the 95W TDP).
Under heavy load and benchmarks (probably unrealistic, or at least not representative of normal usage) you should see a difference, but in everyday tasks should be as fast as the 125W...
But if all AMD can get out is a new tuning of its chips... probably lot (aka the rest) of AMD fans will be disappointed...

G

[citation][nom]flexxar[/nom]What are your sources for "even the old i5 2500k stock eats those AMD's alive"? In Tom's fx8350 review, they showed it beating the new i5 3570 in 6 out of 11 applications.[/citation]

True Heavily threaded it can win in some applications, but gaming shows the 3570K as the faster chip for that purpose.

But when I OC my 3570k it leaves the FX8350 far behind. at 4.5Ghz, there is simply nothing the FX8350 can do to keep up, and it uses way more power than the 3570k as well, especially once you OC it!

Nope, honestly, the 3570k is definately the better buy no-matter which way you look at it, shame really, loved my 1055t, it ran so sweet at 4.2Ghz and was plenty fast, i really want AMD to do better!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
amd only lags behind the intel because on single core applications, intel owns it.
however sooner or later, we will go into the world of threaded applications, and that is where amd has a damn good chance to shine.

me personally, i would probably go amd over intel, but nothing under a pile driver with 8 "cores"

i would bank on future applications, and what i have heard, and that is that when using allot of crap at once, amd feels better than intel.

more or less, the new 8350 and 8300 should be better than my phenom II 955 at stock for many things, and i dont have a need to push games to their limits either, so the bottlenecks there dont bother me to much.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
[citation][nom]moricon[/nom]True Heavily threaded it can win in some applications, but gaming shows the 3570K as the faster chip for that purpose.But when I OC my 3570k it leaves the FX8350 far behind. at 4.5Ghz, there is simply nothing the FX8350 can do to keep up, and it uses way more power than the 3570k as well, especially once you OC it!Nope, honestly, the 3570k is definately the better buy no-matter which way you look at it, shame really, loved my 1055t, it ran so sweet at 4.2Ghz and was plenty fast, i really want AMD to do better![/citation]

Then, turn of the second core of every module, you get 4 cores, and enough headroom to overclock at 5ghz no sweat, you know it has been done.
It just needs some tinkering. The old bulldozer traded punches with the 2500k back in the day with this mod applied. I suppose it is similar today with 8350 and 3570k. You just dont pay the premium branding and get more versatility.

gaborbarla

Distinguished
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]amd only lags behind the intel because on single core applications, intel owns it.however sooner or later, we will go into the world of threaded applications, and that is where amd has a damn good chance to shine. [/citation]

I would love to see it sooner, but knowing a bit about programming myself I know how difficult it is to implement most algorithms on multiple threads so I think it will be later.

natoco

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
[citation][nom]gaborbarla[/nom]I would love to see it sooner, but knowing a bit about programming myself I know how difficult it is to implement most algorithms on multiple threads so I think it will be later.[/citation]
Agree, people seem to think programing is just 'make it run on all cores' Um NO it just simply does not work like that and wont. Easy programs like decode/encode can cause they are very simple to apply to all cores. Complex instructions cant be pulled apart and run on more than 1 core simple as that. Amd chose the wrong route to go down unfortunatly. Whether my video decode takes 10min or 20 i dont care cause thats not what makes a compter 'feel fast'

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
This is... interesting. My brother just built his render-rig and gave up his FX-8150 for two 6200 Opterons. I'm about to sell my Phenom 1090T. Now I'm thinking I should sell the 8150 now and upgrade to this new thing instead of waiting a year like I was thinking... decisions, decisions.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Here's a benchmark comparison of FX-8350 and i5-3570K: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/697?vs=701
i5-3570K comes out as the overall winner, it loses only in heavily threaded applications, but consumes less power, and also has a potentially useful GPU, unlike the FX-8350.

I'd love to be able to justify buying AMD again, but they're just too far behind. AMD bet on GPU and multicore, and their bet is still not paying off.

uglynerdman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
im face palming myself at some of the amd enthusiast around here. I used to be one. the QM's do as well as the amd desktop parts. and theyre 45-55 watt parts. if that doesnt make amd's cpus look like a joke i dont know what does. Amds comepeting with i3s and trying to compete with the i5's.

If you pay your own powerbill, you understand the bang for your buck in both performance and energy savings is just intel all around. I dont like to sound like a intel fanboy, im on my first intel system ever and well.. it blows my mind how my laptop can outdo my former amd desktop.
I've also hopped off supporting buying amd gpus, they dont offer anything nvidia doesnt, its just that the green has physx and well buying alice madness for my woman, she loves the sparkles, the difference in borderlands 2 is very noticable with the enviroment cloth and dirt flying about bits of fragments everything. I do not see any value in amd anymore. i feel bad for the company, i also think looking at the benchmarks the prices they tout arent even low enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.