Hi all,

Here are my specs first:

Ryzen 3800X CPU
ASUS Pro Creator X570 WiFi Motherboard
ASUS TUF Gaming 3070 OC GPU
Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 16gb x 2
Corsair Gold Rated 1000w PSU
Samsung Evo Pro and Plus NVME SSD’s

I have upgraded from a 5700XT to a ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3070. I am unable to use the 3070 however because I get the black screen no matter what I do. I have used software to remove old video drivers, done a clean install of windows and even changed the NVME drives. I don’t have integrated graphics so that can’t help me either. When I plug in the 5700XT again, that still works so I honestly don’t know what to do. I can’t even find any YouTube content to help me out and I’ve tried asking on Facebook groups as well and no luck. I don’t think the 3070 is damaged because the fans are working and the RGB is on as well.

Solution
Try gen 3, there's no riser cable being used yeah and gpu connected directly to slot?

You should get a display at boot/ bios. This area rules out os and drivers because these aren't necessary yet and gpu should display. If not then it's leaning towards it being hardware related, focussing on this aspect of troubleshooting, looking at how the card sits in the slot, power cables properly connected and video cable not blocked by case chassis if close to edge.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Can you get a display at all before Windows / access bios with Nvidia?

How did you reinstall Windows? By having 5700 in to install Windows then changed video card?

Are you using some riser cable for graphics card? Many of those are only pcie3 and won't work with pcie4 cards when pcie gen in bios is set to auto. If you are using riser cable, either don't use it or force gen3 in bios by using 5700 to set it.

Nov 28, 2021
Can you get a display at all before Windows / access bios with Nvidia?

How did you reinstall Windows? By having 5700 in to install Windows then changed video card?

Are you using some riser cable for graphics card? Many of those are only pcie3 and won't work with pcie4 cards when pcie gen in bios is set to auto. If you are using riser cable, either don't use it or force gen3 in bios by using 5700 to set it.

What I did was I paused Microsoft updates for 7 days, I was still connected to the internet, I used DDU software before removing the AMD card, shutdown the PC so I could change to the 3070. I never tried just putting in the 3070 before doing any of those steps.

I had to put the 5700XT back in to get a display and I had the windows 10 media creation tool thing on a pen drive and I booted it from the motherboard bios. That was how I did the clean install.

I am using white braided official corsair cables for my GPU and I have it connect directly into the motherboard using the highest slot closest to the CPU.

In the motherboard bios, the pcie gen was set to auto, I then forced it to 4 and it still didn't work. I could try gen 3 and see if that helps.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try gen 3, there's no riser cable being used yeah and gpu connected directly to slot?

You should get a display at boot/ bios. This area rules out os and drivers because these aren't necessary yet and gpu should display. If not then it's leaning towards it being hardware related, focussing on this aspect of troubleshooting, looking at how the card sits in the slot, power cables properly connected and video cable not blocked by case chassis if close to edge.

Solution
Nov 28, 2021

Yes I am definitely not using a riser cable to connect my gpu. Just the standard way using two separate 8 pin connectors and hooking it up directly into the motherboard. I'll try changing to gen 3 a little later as I've another 3 hours to go working from home.

Nov 28, 2021
What do you mean back on? Did bios somehow revert back to a previous update you applied recently?

No the latest bios update is dated on the 17th of August and there's an ASUS app on the desktop that tells me which one I have so it' the latest one available off the website. It's still a new-ish board.

Nov 28, 2021
Well something funny happened. I turned on the PC with the 3070 still in and it had booted up in safe mode and I got to the bios without the black screen.

so I then took the advice to change the PCIE slots to gen 3, restarted, monitor is black again and I can’t even see the bios.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry that happened. Change pcie gen back to auto, clear cmos if can't change it with 5700.

What video cable are you using? Trying to rule out intermittent handshake issues, if using displayport, try turn on monitor seconds after computer. If haven't tried a hdmi cable yet, try that. And try different vga ports.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Put the gpu in the second pcie slot. There's a quirk with Ryzen and asus boards that many times you'll get the white vga motherboard error, and a black screen, because the pcie lanes used in slot 1 are direct to the cpu, which insists on looking for Gen4. If you use the second slot, it uses the x570 chipset, which has no default pcie since it also deals with Sata and nvme drives which are primarily Gen3.

Once the bios makes the distinction (it won't in safe mode) and registers the card as Gen3, you should be good to put it back in the primary slot.

Reactions: dotas1 and boju

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Both cards are Gen4. Sometimes a bios update will reset the defaults and the card will likely still be good, already logged into registry and windows etc, but with a new card, the primary slot/cpu has no prior recognition of the card. Only happens with the 30xx RTX cards, most likely never fixed by Amd just to give nvidia the proverbial middle finger for free. The Radeons don't have this issue. It's all about the initial pcie handshake, once it's done, there's no issue, but Asus X570 and RTX are common for White VGA of Death errors. Other vendors get them too, but not nearly as much.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yep. But amd likes amd. AMD isn't exactly thrilled about nvidia, lol.

Once Op can actually get past POST and bios does its component search and logs all the component id's into cmos etc, shouldn't be an issue to swap the pcie slots after a couple of full shutdown and reboots.

Reactions: boju
Nov 28, 2021
Yep. But amd likes amd. AMD isn't exactly thrilled about nvidia, lol.

Once Op can actually get past POST and bios does its component search and logs all the component id's into cmos etc, shouldn't be an issue to swap the pcie slots after a couple of full shutdown and reboots.

I feel like I am learning towards the fact that maybe the card was dead on arrival. I mean the GPU light comes on when I have the 3070 in but it runs fine when I switch back to the 5700XT. If this is AMD forcing me to stick with them in a sly way then fine. Just hope I can return the damn thing or at least get a swap. As my uncle said the cards are more rare than unicorn poop right now. I'm not the most tech savvy guy but I learned a lot about building computers last year during lockdown but this has been so frustrating considering the cost just to buy one of these things right now.