AMD Trinity Desktop Chip Schedule Challenges Mobo Makers

Status
Not open for further replies.

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
[citation][nom]styrkes[/nom]"get rid of its pile of Llano"but who wants them? I want Trinity.[/citation]
Me too,
but I will go for Ivy Bridge. Just plug a graphics card if more gpu is needed.

At first, i was waiting for them to be released in june for a build for my friend. rumors had gone through saying it was in august, a little disapointed, but was still willing to wait. news of it saying its no later then october, which is way past the deadline i was going to make the build for sadly.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
if the desktop Trinity's are like what we saw compared to Llano on the mobile side of performance then it really isn't going to yield that much more improvement on the cpu side of things. Where it does offer a lot better performance in the GPU side of things and that is the bread and butter of AMD's APU's. A dream APU chip would be to have Ivy Bridges cou performances with AMD's GPU performance. One can only dream. :)

The A8 Llano and even the E450 Zacate (previous gen) are a great cpu ... nothing wrong with them.

AMD must have a fair bit of stock.

I picked up an E450 notebook for a song ... they won't take long to clear them.

I'd say August rather than September ...

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
AMD's Trinity desktop CPUs, originally scheduled with a June introduction date, are now expected to arrive no earlier than October.
I am most definitely displeased. I was hoping to build a nice HTPC with trinity for CPU/GPU.

Guess not.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]if the desktop Trinity's are like what we saw compared to Llano on the mobile side of performance then it really isn't going to yield that much more improvement on the cpu side of things. Where it does offer a lot better performance in the GPU side of things and that is the bread and butter of AMD's APU's. A dream APU chip would be to have Ivy Bridges cou performances with AMD's GPU performance. One can only dream.[/citation]

A 3rd party APU equivalent to an i7, with AMD's GPU, with IBM's magic. Oh god that would be frightening, for AMD and Intel.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
AMD should change their future roadmap schedules as to when they will release chips in volume to retail and oem manufacturers rather then when they will come out with a handful of prototype samples.

Dragoon21b

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Ok someone needs to start random drug tests over at AMD...I have been watching a lot of their decisions and just keep scratching my head and I can only come to one conclusion these guys are obviously smoking something (and it anit de good stuff Mon).

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Well, if they're gonna take some time on it, I do hope they could squeeze additional features and enhancements compared to their mobile brethren while they're at it. More so if it's just a marketing decision to stall them.

Soul_keeper

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I wish these APUs would just use the same socket as their real desktop CPUs ...
Seems like that'd make things a lot easier on motherboard makers, and consumers wanting an upgrade path.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Soul_keeper[/nom]I wish these APUs would just use the same socket as their real desktop CPUs ...Seems like that'd make things a lot easier on motherboard makers, and consumers wanting an upgrade path.[/citation]
that cant happen because the APUs and the bulldozer CPU are totally different architectures. if they were to make the APU fit on an AM3+ socket, theyd have to remove the IGP completely, defeating the purpose of the APU. AM3+ is made to support bulldozer which has no IGP in the die.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
[citation][nom]Soul_keeper[/nom]I wish these APUs would just use the same socket as their real desktop CPUs ...Seems like that'd make things a lot easier on motherboard makers, and consumers wanting an upgrade path.[/citation]

That'd be nice. Wouldn't count on it though. Not entirely surprised by the delay. All companies across all industries tend to hold off or limit the release of new product until all the previous iterations are at a low enough level in terms of supply. Intel did the same with Ivy Bridge, though that delay ended up being relatively short.

It's also not unusual that vendors get first crack at new tech since the predominant sales are likely to be those buying a complete system as opposed to those building. What worries me is the fact that the manufacturers are making it seem like they aren't getting ANY samples to work with. At this stage of the game, that is very concerning. When you're talking about the fact that about now they were supposed to be releasing their new boards with Trinity, but are still waiting on samples to finish the boards, that seems very strange and troubling.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]if the desktop Trinity's are like what we saw compared to Llano on the mobile side of performance then it really isn't going to yield that much more improvement on the cpu side of things. Where it does offer a lot better performance in the GPU side of things and that is the bread and butter of AMD's APU's. A dream APU chip would be to have Ivy Bridges cou performances with AMD's GPU performance. One can only dream.[/citation]

I would think that the CPU difference between desktop models of Llano and Trinity would be about 800MHz as evidenced with the A10-4600M and A8-3500M comparison made recently. Mobile Trinity seems to perform between 15 to 30% better in most CPU tasks which shows less instructions per clock than Llano but easily more instructions per core and at a lower power level. An 800MHz boost over the A8-3870K would result in a lower % gain for desktop Trinity, but thanks to resonant clock meshing (which allegedly should do more for sort of clock speeds that desktop Trinity will run at than the mobile variant) they can have a CPU that performs up to 25% faster, never slower thanks to TurboCore v3, and I haven't even mentioned the improved GPU...

If Piledriver is the first step to fixing the Bulldozer microarchitecture, a 25% CPU and 50% GPU performance boost over the previous generation whilst using the same or less power is actually significant, and should mean there's a good amount of extra performance to come with the GCN-and-Steamroller-equipped Kaveri. One can dream.

G

Not unexpected. Intel did the same thing. Once Intel delayed, I had a feeling that Trinity would be delayed as well. The industry slow down is to blame, not AMD's management. AMD still has to make money and so do the manufacturers. Performance wise, I'm not expecting nearly as much as some, but do expect it to be lower power and thus a better overclocker.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]hardcore_gamer[/nom]Where is the desktop piledriver ? If it can reach anywhere near 80-90% performance of 2600k at half the price, I'll get one.[/citation]
Not going to happen.

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
[citation][nom]archange[/nom]I do believe that Heise Online should be capitalized, since it's the name of a media outlet.[/citation]
No, "heise online" is all lower case.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Hmm, I was planning to build a few lower-end machines (to replace some Pentium 4s), and was thinking of getting a Trinity APU for that. I guess if they don't want my business, I'll go with an i3 instead. It's their problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.