AMD Trolls Intel: Offers 16-Core Chip to Winners of Six-Core 8086K

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mindbreaker

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
I don't know about collector's item CPUs? That is like collecting old fridge water filters. It does what it does, and new ones will always be better.

Very old systems that were history making? Maybe.

I might buy one of the purpose built Deep Blue chips if they were for sale, to frame and put on my wall. But this Intel memorial of an old chip? Why?

cypherslock

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Not everything is about gaming. Some of us want to game a little bit but have way more productivity without the inflated Intel name tax

sonichedgehog360

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008

Nah... AMD are just doing the world a solid by scouring it of Intel's over-priced, underperforming processors. ;P I imagine the Core i7-8086K's they receive in the mail exchange will be quickly rooming with the E.T. Atari cartridges infesting the world's landfills.

InvalidError

Titan

One problem with that trade is you are trading a limited-edition collectible chip that will run on a $60 motherboard with a rapidly depreciating first-gen chip that requires a ~$300 motherboard to run just before its refresh comes around and significantly outperform it with its combination of lower cache/CCX latency and higher clock frequency.

alextheblue

Distinguished
I was disappointed by the i7-8086K. When I first heard about it I thought they were releasing something akin to Devil's Canyon. Not to mention the high price and limited availability. It's a collector's item more than anything.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

It's hype more than anything.

InvalidError

Titan

It is a collectible - a commemorative piece of x86 history. Any "hype" about it died as soon as Intel announced it was going to be a limited run of 50k units and still a 6C12T chip instead of the upcoming 8C16T one.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Aw... wipe that tear away from your eye!

McDuncun

Honorable
Yeah, as much as I like AMD... That was a bit of a fail. Why would I give my brand new "bragging rights loaded" Special Edition CPU away for a albeit very nice but yet much older everyday obtainable cpu? That is only for reselling purposes as stated in a few comments. Now if they were giving those chips to the 50 winners without and need for compensation then hell yes!

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
AMD is just jealous they could not think to giveaway anything...

If they really wanted to hurt INTEL they should give those 40 CPU to those first people that didn`t win.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I like this publicity stunt by AMD!

That said...
Same apply to me. The Core i7 would serve me better; either as a workhorse where I won't have to pay an arm and a leg for motherboard and cooling, or as an object of investment keeping it in the sealed box and save all provided documentation.
The 1st gen Threadripper will just go down in value.

TR2 would be cool, but is no where near ready for delivery yet.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017
Intel Savage response got me like :)
I can see a lot of mix comments on here, but like it or hate it,. The Intel core i7 8086K ($425) is a beast of a gaming processor, is simply the best..( IS A WORK HORSE), Single core speed is 30%+ ahead of the more expensive 1950X ($750).. You know what's really sad for AMD?,, Twice the cores doesn't give you twice the speed and for GAMING you have to be mentally ill to trade the 8086k.
maxresdefault.jpg

InvalidError

Titan

133/108 = 1.23X as fast.

That's 23% faster for your Hitman numbers, not 30+%.

As for twice the cores not translating to twice the performance in gaming being "sad for AMD", Intel's own high/extreme-core-count CPUs don't scale much better in gaming either so blaming ThreadRipper for it specifically is disingenuous. Higher core count CPUs are for heavily threaded workloads regardless of architecture, instruction set and who makes them.

If you love PC hardware, no matter which side of the fence you are on, or even if you sit on the middle of it, AMD smacked Intel in the face here. But Intel didn't take it sitting down in their response which was pretty snarky as well. The only thing AMD missed was hitting Intel harder and referencing their poor thermals due to cheap and poorly executed thermal paste on their processors requiring overclock enthusiasts to de-lid to maximize performance potential (yes, I know Ryzen does not overclock well).

That said, one of the most crucial things hardware enthusiasts need to do is research their own needs and performance differences between an AMD and similar hierarchy Intel chip. This includes factoring in the resolution of monitor and gaming specifically. The higher the resolution beyond 1080p, the less Intel's margin of general FPS over AMD is as the game demands are pushed more on GPU power. On the other hand, there are still a lot of single or two core only used programs out there (including games) where Intel generally defeats AMD.

No matter what however, we the consumer are the ultimate winners in this newfound AMD vs. Intel rivalry. AMD came back from the graveyard of Bulldozer with Ryzen, and I'd bet a month's salary that had Ryzen (1) not been introduced, Intel would not have chosen to go six cores on their main stream consumer i5/i7 and four cores on their i3 chips.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8086K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-TR-1950X/m516988vs3932

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

I'm not blaming threadripper for that. I'm blaming AMD for being a clown and comparing a (FREE) monster of a gaming CPU against a twice more expensive weaker HEDT multi-core CPU against Intel’s, which gave away about $3.5 million worth of CPUs to their customers for freeeeeee.:D..

When it comes to real-world performance, things are a bit more squiffy.Running at 5GHz with its turbo boost in full effect, the Core i7-8086K is one awesome nippy chip, which PC Gamer points out that when it comes to gaming like we already know it will outperform the Threadripper 1950X. THE Threadripper 1950X boasts a baked-in 'game mode' that tweaks the chip's performance but still leaves it lagging behind a several of Intel's latest eighth-gen processors, so when it comes to gaming we all know for certain that the 8086K mops the floor with the threadripper... AMD is butt hurt because Intel had the idea of giving their customer free limited edition CPU's. So instead of them giving their customer free Processors, they are exchanging 40 intel's CPU for theirs, note that AMD is not giving anything for free...

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I really don't get what message AMD is trying to deliver with this. Intel gives away 8086 mainstream CPU's so AMD comes up with the idea to replace 40 out of the 8086 Intel CPU's with an HEDT CPU? What sense does that make? If you're only giving away 40, how about including a motherboard and quad channel memory kit so the "winners" don't have to lay out $500+ to use their "free" cpu? A motherboard and dual channel memory kit for the 8086 can be had for less than 1/3 the cost.

If AMD had a giveaway for Ryzen cpu's and Intel counter with a fraction as many Skylake X cpu's this thread would be overrun with WTF is Intel doing posts and desperation accusations.

Status
Not open for further replies.