AMD Ultrathin Notebooks Could be Priced Down to $549

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I wouldn't complain about ultrabooks being $700+ if they were priced like that everywhere and didn't sacrifice on build quality.

Reviewed the XPS 13 recently and just received the ivy-based Aspire S3 today. There always have a bunch of major flaws that totally turn me off.

For $1000+ you either pay for performance or luxury. If you get neither, that kind of sucks. I can live with a ULV proc with a weak IGP if all i'm doing is working on it, but it shouldn't burn my leg or something. And I still haven't seen a better trackpad and gesture control than apple's macbooks.

Honestly if a Macbook was cheaper and ran windows natively i'd buy it tomorrow.

And i'm not complaining if AMD do a solid job for much less. We know their IGP is great, if they got fixed-function transcoding working then i think that's all you need from a thin and light device.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
They could be priced down to 299 too!
They can do it with netbooks, I see no reason why not with ultra portables?

They're just a fancy name for the same thing, with a bigger screen more ram and a better processor than a netbook.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]ProDigit10[/nom]with a bigger screen more ram and a better processor than a netbook.[/citation]
lol that's why they're more expensive :p

G

australia is over taxed and over priced!! this place sucks balls

parkerm35

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]Actually, I lied, HD4000 won on most benchmarks using the N56VM vs. the Trinity prototype http://www.anandtech.com/show/5843 [...] a-review/6and apparently Intel has a new driver they have not benchmarked yet. downgrade me if you want, but those are the results and that was against a system setup pretty well to benchmark (the Trinity prototype).[/citation]

45w vs 35w parts. I'll say no more.

parkerm35

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
According to Anand, it was overall about 15% faster. Anand also did a test of the 17W parts and they were definitely HD4000. Even Anand wondered if AMD's low power GPUs would actually be faster than the ULV parts from Intel. I will probably get reduced for not kissing AMD butt, but this is what Anand said. Sorry to disappoint you.

Status
Not open for further replies.