AMD Unleashed: Four CPUs, Two GPUs, All Overclocked

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

setting aside 1366 and AM3

In 2 or 3 years when QX9770 chips start showing up for $250-$300.

Will AMD have a cheaper socket AM2+ compatible chip on the market that will outperform it?

If so, AMD would be a nice alternative.

G

setting aside 1366 and AM3

In 2 or 3 years when QX9770 chips start showing up for $250-$300.

Will AMD have a cheaper socket AM2+ compatible chip on the market that will outperform it?

If so, AMD would be a nice alternative.

G

In 2 or 3 years Intel will have 16 cores on a single cpu, and amd tech will, as always, be useless, outdated, and worthless... Just like they are now.

radguy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
So did I miss somthing or where does it say what each of these processors is overclocked to. I get that the p2 x3 720be is at 3.67 but what about the rest of them. Am I missing it somewhere (very possible) or do I have to look back at your previous articles to figure it out? shouldn't that be on the test systems and configuration page. I am trying to sort through the data.

nerrawg

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Great article guys - love the comparisons to the SBM machines - really gives some insight into CPU and GPU scaling and how much to spend on your processor versus your graphics for gaming builds. Thanks!

Sihastru

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]Has anyone noticed the benchmarks for the i5's on anandtech yet?[/citation]

I did. Considering the pricing scheme of the i5 (so close to AMD) and it's high performance numbers (so close to the i7) AMD is in big trouble.

Intel will shift all the processors that are now under the i7 (even if the 920 is rumored to become EOL, one step down on it's portfolio, which means high end Intel dual cores, will go into or under the mainstream, where AMD already has a hard time.

This doesn't make me very happy, even if I am an Intel fanboy. Aggressive pricing schemes are overrated. AMD needs something new. Now.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... BIG THX to the Tom's crew... was not so hard after all? ... now, thx to YOU, we have a info about intel, nVidia and AMD/ATi solutions... how they stack up in price/performance/cost of ownership... NICELY DONE!!!

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]sihastru[/nom]I did. Considering the pricing scheme of the i5 (so close to AMD) and it's high performance numbers (so close to the i7) AMD is in big trouble.Intel will shift all the processors that are now under the i7 (even if the 920 is rumored to become EOL, one step down on it's portfolio, which means high end Intel dual cores, will go into or under the mainstream, where AMD already has a hard time.This doesn't make me very happy, even if I am an Intel fanboy. Aggressive pricing schemes are overrated. AMD needs something new. Now.[/citation]

AMD doesn't need something new now, they are going to flood the market with low to mid range processor (see computex in a couple of days) that will cater to the masses. On the high end side of things the PII remains an options since it's direct competitor, the intel penryn quads will fade out to be replaced by the new kid on the block, the i5. As for the enthusiast (lots of money, no jaw dropping performance increase)segment the i7 will rule them all. So the battle between blue and green will continue as is, for almost 3 years now AMD has lost the crown, another year isn't going to hurt them much. Things will get heated this time next year when more and more bulldozer and fusion rumors will start spreading.

As of now, nothing new, in this review or the ones that will follow.

pauldh

Illustrious
[citation][nom]radguy[/nom]So did I miss somthing or where does it say what each of these processors is overclocked to. I get that the p2 x3 720be is at 3.67 but what about the rest of them.[/citation]
Thanks for pointing this out. No you didn't miss anything, the CPU-Z screenshots should have been put up in pairs CPU Tab / Memory Tab.

Phenom II X4 940 BE - 3.793 GHz (18.5* 205) 1.5375V
Phenom II X3 720 BE - 3.672 GHz (18.0* 204) 1.500V
Phenom X4 9950 BE - 3.400 GHz (16.5*206) 1.425V
Athlon 7750 BE - 3.383 GHz (16.5*205) 1.425V

All I can say is Thank you. What a great article! I can't see anyone not considering the PhII X3 720 for a budget build.

I'm glad to see my X4 940 is holding up so well. Prolly be another 2 months before I feel obsolete again!

cinergy

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
These benchmarks are obsolete and shouldn't be compared to anything. Firstly cat 9.2 is from february, now its june and cat 9.5. AMD also has had 7850 and 955 processors available quite awhile for better performance.

programmed4gamin

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]radguy[/nom]So did I miss somthing or where does it say what each of these processors is overclocked to. I get that the p2 x3 720be is at 3.67 but what about the rest of them. Am I missing it somewhere (very possible) or do I have to look back at your previous articles to figure it out? shouldn't that be on the test systems and configuration page. I am trying to sort through the data.[/citation]

Check out screens from CPU-Z. Good article.. i say: FINALLY!

How about using AMD and Intel CPUs in GPU tests in the future? I'm not gonna buy Intel no matter what, so furter articles with AMD processors i would gladly welcome

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
That's odd, most of my previous post is no displaying... Maybe that's why it has a negative score? I noticed, I hunted for a post I submitted last last week on a different article and it looks like it never posted.

G

Nice article, plz include more AMD cpus in normal reviews in the future.

on another note...

That i5 article is some biased Anandtech fanboy crap, they start it off with this:

"Note: This article was not condoned or supported in any way by Intel. We obtained all pre-release hardware on our own. Enjoy."

Surely, it's some Intel marketing BS, and they actually did give them the silicon, but look at the benchmarks they did. They cherry picked every single benchmark so that the i5/i7s would do well. Video encoding, rendering, that bull-shlt excel Monte Carlo benchmark, and then a few select games. Never were video encoding and cpu-based rendering such 'important' benchmarks until the i7 came out, now they must comprise 50%+ of the total benchmarks for an Anandtech review.

GAZZOO

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
Great article with both AMD and ATI which helps me alot. Last year I bought the top of the range AMD cpu X2 3.2 ghz & motherboard k9a2 platinum with cheeper ATI 4850 1ghz and 4ghz DDR2 1066 on a nice budget and this year I have already bought one more HIS HD4850 1ghz and towards the end of the year I will get the Phenom II x4 to drop in with one more HIS HD4850 1ghz ( in the long run I am paying more but this is over a 2 too 3 year period
So the results you have given me in this article will give me an Idear of what I might be able to get from my computer thanks heeps
Gazz

G

No Phenom II X4 955 BE? I was hoping to see what that one can do.

bigbadbrad

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
[citation][nom]cinergy[/nom]These benchmarks are obsolete and shouldn't be compared to anything. Firstly cat 9.2 is from february, now its june and cat 9.5. AMD also has had 7850 and 955 processors available quite awhile for better performance.[/citation]

There is some truth in this

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Thanks for doing an AMD comparison to compliment the Intel/NVidia one. Although the results aren't the greatest, it's important to know how green or not both sides of the fence really are. Thanks again! :)

-- MaSoP

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Great comparison. Really liked seeing the X3 720 and the X4 940 against the Q9550. The only thing that was missing was the X4 955. Would have been nice to see that as well. The x4 9950 was really only a stop-loss product and I don't think it really deserves consideration any more except where people already own one and want to see what an upgrade would look like in comparison.

Also, where is that SBM contest?

Status
Not open for further replies.