AMD Unleashes 2nd-Gen A-Series APUs for Laptops, Desktops

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I'd like my GF to have a A8 with 400 radeon cores so she'd be able to play Sims without asking to use my computer.

viridiancrystal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
[citation][nom]tlmck[/nom]You can pair it with a select 6500 series GPU and they are about to release the 7000 series? Sounds like the AMD right hand does not know what the left hand is doing.[/citation]
I would expect that by the time trinity comes out the 7500 will be around and usable.

the cpu cores are indeed weaker than sb...and it's not my concern anyway. i could get by using 4 cores of lower clock speed than use only two higher clock speed cores. cheapo 4 cores in a laptop with the best performing (personal opinion) igp in the market is a good deal to me.

for casual user even gma 4500 hd is fine. but what if the casual user wants to game a little but doesn't want to pay a lot for nvidia's or amd's discreet mobile gpus? that's where llano comes in. besides, intel doesn offer quad core cpus until higher end core i7 which is a shame. their cpus are much better than amd's. but compared to similarly configured core i3 or i5 (no discreet gpu), llano laptops are better. and, you can even get bigger screens (16"-17") with llano laptops at a decent price. laptops with core i3/i5/i7 usually cost higher when they offer bigger display.

pat

Expert
Internet and office usage, Intel graphic is fine. Familly usage (light game, internet, video,...), AMD is better. Serious game, multi GPU should go Intel, single GPU, both are fine. Server application, depend of the task, both are suitable.

Since everybody's needs are different, it is good to have more choice from 2 rather than 1 company.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]BlackHawk91[/nom]Let me see: Sandy Bridge-E = 3xxx Ivy Bridge = 3xxx Llano = 3xxx 2nd-Gen A-Series = 3xxxThis is getting confusing[/citation]
AMD had the 3XXX before intel

Gigz6413

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]Actually, you can get a i3-2120 for only $120 -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819115077This would probably ass-rape the AMD A8-3870K on many benchmarks, despite being $20 less expensive. It's easier on your electricity bill.[/citation]

Thats the 2100. The 2100 is more on par with an A6.

Borisblade7

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
2nd gen? just looks like more variants of the same gen. Either way, very cool. I have one in my laptop and it stomps a mudhole in the intel chips when it comes to IGP's. I have intel for my gaming desktop but will be using AMD for my laptops since these chips provide more than enough for anything ill do on that. Running most of my games on this laptop too and they run great, you cant run with crazy Crysis 2 maxed out settings but can still run high enough to look awesome on these smaller screens, im thoroughly impressed.

Gigz6413

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]Borisblade7[/nom]2nd gen? just looks like more variants of the same gen. Either way, very cool. I have one in my laptop and it stomps a mudhole in the intel chips when it comes to IGP's. I have intel for my gaming desktop but will be using AMD for my laptops since these chips provide more than enough for anything ill do on that. Running most of my games on this laptop too and they run great, you cant run with crazy Crysis 2 maxed out settings but can still run high enough to look awesome on these smaller screens, im thoroughly impressed.[/citation]

Yeah the author made a mistake. Its actually a refresh.

jezzarisky

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]Llano and Ivy Bridge are not SOC's. The first x86 SOC's in this market segment will be the mobile versions of Haswell in 2013.[/citation]

Good to know, however what would you call the CPU/GPU(and in Intel's case the northbridge) all included on a chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.