AMD Unleashes Piledriver Based FX-4130 CPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]azraa[/nom]Damn it people, already!TDP =/= Power ConsumptionIts just an indicator of how much power it COULD and it is designed to tolerate.Other than that, I dont know why AMD keeps releasing 6-core CPUsI loved their 4core APUs, and the bulldozer 4 core did quite good compared with the 6cores.IMHO there is no need for 6 cores, make it either 4 or 8.And therefore, the cpu from the review gets all my love, I know for a fact that their 4-cores work wonders for the price, and unlocked, jeez[/citation]

TDP is thermal design power. It has to do with how much heat it is designed to handle at max, not how much power it is to consume at max and even then, it is subjectively measured. By that I mean different companies measure it differently and furthermore, power consumption compared to TDP can vary greatly with different workloads and such even between different models from the same company. TDP is not very useful for anything having to do with consumers AFAIK.

Also, I find that some AMD hexacore CPUs go for excellent prices and would miss them if they were gone right now. For example, the FX-6100 occasionally dips under $100 USD in some online retailers and that's a tempting price for it considering it occasionally dips below FX-4100 pricing. If you think that the quad core models are wonders for the price, how can you object to getting 50% more cores that often overclock even better, all for the same or even a slightly lower price?

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
I wish AMD would make more people know about the cores and how important they are to rendering .It would be great if they could get there TDP lower then intel. It would give them a rude shock.

InvalidError

Titan

If improving IPC to catch up with Intel's single-threaded performance while maintaining higher clock rates and lowering power draw were that easy, AMD would have done so already. Unless AMD starts producing 14nm chips out of thin air, they aren't going to make a shocking comeback.

It is almost a miracle that AMD is managing to not fall further behind than they already are with a whole process node handicap.

Status
Not open for further replies.