AMD Unleashes The Radeon VII, World's First 7nm Gaming GPU

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Reference design cards don't have overbuilt power delivery options. Look at Tom's review of the Vega 56. When overclocked, the reference design pulled as much as 310 watts.

usermax

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015
who will pay $700 for a card and then want to play in 1080P or 1440P? WTF! Keep denying the truth to yourselves and support the worst consumer friendly company on the planet ( NVidia ). Sorry RT adds nothing to the game that i would see other than lowering my resolution and FPS down to sub $300 card levels at $700+ price point. RT is useless right now and adds nothing but suptracts a LOT. DLSS also just looks awful. If i am going to pay $700 for a card i want to play in 4k and at that level i do not need AA or some bad form of it called DLSS. The Elephant in the room here that many don't want to talk about is 60 Compute unites, Vega has 64 so another big brother release in a couple months? Maybe called the Radeon VIII or Radeon VIIx?

GOKU4LIV

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014
the new gpu radeon disappoint me a lot, consume a lot of energy, go less than a geforce 2080, do not have the ray tracing and cost a lot and are very cumbersome ....

usermax

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015
Also i forgot to add, this card is aimed at content creators, where once again RT is useless. Why do i say that? Because HBM2 is so dang expensive it makes no sense to use it for the masses.

RendCycle

Reputable
Nov 19, 2016

I prefer the User Interface of AMD Radeon GPUs with regards to looks and usability. But in the previous AMD card that I've replaced, I have experienced bugs in some games that were released more than 4+ years ago. I remember the last game that I had issue running smoothly was "Injustice: Gods Among Us". But it was fixed just last year or the year before IIRC as when I got the chance to re-evaluate the game with an updated AMD driver, it ran w/o problems anymore. But the bug fix came very late. In addition, the AMD Radeon software's overclocking feature usually hang my display or crashes my PC with the wrong setting thus I prefer using MSI Afterburner which I feel is more stable. Also, before I switched to an Nvidia GPU, I experienced a major problem with the AMD Radeon software wherein it became corrupted and suddenly disappeared from my Taskbar. I was not able to launch it and I was just relieved it happened a few days before I acquired the new Nvidia card so I didn't care anymore.

I agree that Nvidia's software UI looks quite outdated already. But so far, they are still functional. I still need more time though to experiment/test and compare my experience of using an NVidia over AMD GPUs.