News AMD Unveils 5 Third-Gen Ryzen CPUs, Including 12-Core Flagship

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
This doesn't even make sense, you compare hardware based on Price/Performance, not just performance. I think someone is a little bias because if you have appreciation for computer hardware, then you would appreciate what AMD just did.
Makes sense to me. It's fine if you or everyone else doesn't agree. Different principles.
I admit I'm a little biased, and I do appreciate what AMD has done, but it's also a little lacking compared to when Zen first launched.
I was expecting more, and it appears I wasn't the only one...

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
Well I mean, I guess if I was made of money, then i wouldn't care. But the average consumer has a budget, and AMD just made the Price/Performance a bit more reasonable for the average consumer. So if all you care about is performance, then yea it probably doesn't matter but for people who don't have all the money at their disposal like I'm assuming you do, there is no reason to be disappointed. If you don't have to worry about money and budgets then it AMD would be kind of pointless, but not everyone is that fortunate. Empathize with the average consumer, then you will understand why most people are excited.

Reactions: Phaaze88

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
Makes sense to me. It's fine if you or everyone else doesn't agree. Different principles.
I admit I'm a little biased, and I do appreciate what AMD has done, but it's also a little lacking compared to when Zen first launched.
I was expecting more, and it appears I wasn't the only one...

After wtaching Intel offer 3%-5% performance improvements for almost a decade, virtually no IPC improvments gen over gen, and only clock speed improvements and more cores when AMD began to threaten them, to the point where they are now out of rabbits to pull, you honestly are disappointed in a 15% IPC improvement plus 5% clock speed improvements for a total of 20% performance improvement (including single threaded), 50% reduction in power consumption, four more cores than the competitors flagship, (with a chip with four more incoming) that will probably outperform anything in Intels entire HEDT platform, for in some cases less than half the price? Seriously?

The only possible place for disappointment within that anywhere is with Intel.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
After wtaching Intel offer 3%-5% performance improvements for almost a decade, virtually no IPC improvments gen over gen, and only clock speed improvements and more cores when AMD began to threaten them, to the point where they are now out of rabbits to pull...
Can't argue with ya there.

... you honestly are disappointed in a 15% IPC improvement plus 5% clock speed improvements for a total of 20% performance improvement (including single threaded), 50% reduction in power consumption, four more cores than the competitors flagship, (with a chip with four more incoming) that will probably outperform anything in Intels entire HEDT platform...
You missed the focus of my argument. ^ Those numbers have yet to be proven. I won't believe that marketing mumbo-jumbo. I want to see those numbers - and more, if possible - hold true from legit sources.
And if those test/reviews match up with AMD's claims, that's bloody awesome!

... for in some cases less than half the price? Seriously?
I'm aware that AMD is aimed at, and is the go-to for the more budget-conscientious user. I'm totally fine with that. There's a market for everyone.
Ryzen was bloody awesome when it first launched! Totally made up for the disappointment that is the STILL ridiculuously popular FX and A-series cpus. I've got a number of posts on here recommending Ryzen to folks looking to upgrade.

The only possible place for disappointment within that anywhere is with Intel.
AMD is a company, just like Intel and Nvidia. Some have worse practices than others.
But at the end of it all, a company is out to make money. And if a few 'lies'(not sure if this is the word I intended to convey), aka marketing PR BS, help them achieve that, they will do it.
AMD is not the holy grail that some make it out to be, and neither are the others. They've had their share of failures(speaking in general here), just like any other company - no ones perfect.
They've done it before, they can do it again.

TL;DR: What I've been saying is that I was looking forward to being 'WOW!'ed when Zen first launched.
Ryzen 1xxx to 2xxx was 'OK' to me. 2xxx to the upcoming 3xxx, is also looking to be 'OK'. But this could change once reviews are out.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
...I'm aware that AMD is aimed at, and is the go-to for the more budget-conscientious user. I'm totally fine with that. There's a market for everyone...
That's just a diversive way of saying that Intel rips off its customers ... and that you're fine with that.

You missed the focus of my argument. ^ Those numbers have yet to be proven. I won't believe that marketing mumbo-jumbo. I want to see those numbers - and more, if possible - hold true from legit sources.

If that truly was the focus of your argument, as you say, you would not have expressed such dissapointment, because you wouldn't be believing that "marketing mumbo jumbo" - belief in that is required for your expressed disappointment.

It's hard to discuss things with people who clearly can't even be honest with themselves even. Careful with fallacies like that next time. :)

Last edited:
I'm really curious what price it comes in at and what cooler it comes with since it has a low TDP. Maybe AMD will design some new coolers or they might ship with wraith stealths or spire since many 3rd gen chips are about 65w tdp.

I saw a Geekbench score and pubG benchmark rumored that put the 3600 close to an I7 8700k performance level.
R5 3600 seems to perform exactly between I7 8700 and 8700k when the samples were benchmarked in User benchmark.
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600/3937vsm810675
https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5-36...k-leak-crushes-coffee-lake-price-performance/

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I'm really curious what price it comes in at and what cooler it comes with since it has a low TDP. Maybe AMD will design some new coolers or they might ship with wraith stealths or spire since many 3rd gen chips are about 65w tdp.
Well, the MSRPs are listed in this article. And the product pages are already up on AMD's website, which list which cooler each CPU comes with. For example, the 3600 comes with the Wraith Stealth. https://www.amd.com/en/product/8456

Figured the 2600 would come with the stealth.
I wonder what the 3700x will come with. The 3700x has the same tdp but i can imagine 16 threads at mid 4ghz running on a wraith stealth, no matter how efficicnt zen 2 is.

16C/32T Base: 3.5GHz Boost: 4.7GHz
That is looking good as long as it is offered below or around $650.
That boost clock though. If it manages stable clock speed of 4.5GHz on all cores that would be insane.

Edit: Missed E3 so was not updated on price or specs but have heard it to be priced at $750 which is bit high for my liking. It should have be $650-700 max. Bit disappointed with that price but well if it really performs exceptionally well it should be worthy of that price tag.

Last edited:
That $750 16 core still costs less then the $1200 12 core from intel.
Yes, I was comparing the pricing to 12c/24t and 8c/16t offerings from AMD. As the 12c/24t CPU is priced at $500 I was expecting 16c/32t to be around $650-700.

Comparing to Intel based on price is meaningless at this point of time as Intel has been completely washed out specially when it comes to pricing the CPUs.

TRENDING THREADS