News AMD updates 3D V-Cache optimizer driver ahead of Ryzen 9000X3D launch

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
AMD has already confirmed that 3D V-Cache-enabled Ryzen 9000 processors are in the works, and it is bringing some "cool" innovations to the 3D V-Cache technology itself.
I ask again, what do we think these could be? AFAIK the only thing that improved between 1st and 2nd gen V-Cache was it increased bandwidth by 25% to 2.5 TB/s.

Put a second layer of cache on the cache chiplet, same 64 MiB capacity per layer and 32 MiB at the base, and you have 160 MiB on a CCD.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
AMD appears to have updated its 3D V-Cache driver for Ryzen 9000X3D.

Please. Nowhere it mentions these drivers are for the upcoming Ryzen 9000X3D parts. So STOP making such vague claims without any proof or backup.

Even the vanilla Ryzen 9000 series SKUs have not even launched, so it makes little sense for AMD to update it's drivers for the X3D parts, which don't even have a release date finalized yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: TechyIT223
These drivers are just a re-release of the previous version of the same AMD chipset drivers, because there was a bug in the previous release, as noted just recently by Chiphell and Benchlife forum members.

Instead of releasing a separate X3D driver, this time AMD has now bundled the whole driver package instead. Nothing new here.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022
I doubt a 6nm process would allow increased sram density for the 3D cache chiplet. For example, 7nm sram bit cell size is 0.0262um^2, 6nm = same. Of course 5nm bit cell size is 0.021um^2 so could allow for increased cache density on the v-cache chiplet.

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
I doubt a 6nm process would allow increased sram density for the 3D cache chiplet. For example, 7nm sram bit cell size is 0.0262um^2, 6nm = same. Of course 5nm bit cell size is 0.021um^2 so could allow for increased cache density on the v-cache chiplet.
It could reduce power draw a little.

I don't think TSMC is charging AMD more for N6 than N7, since all production should eventually end up on N6. So it could just happen even if the benefits are slight.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.