AMD Updates Desktop FX Processor Line With Three New CPUs, Price Cuts

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seinfeld

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
For the price of 1 Intel 8 core, 4.0+ghz base you are looking at near 1000 bucks. JUST for the processor. I'll take AMD anyday. Hell Ic an buy 5 of these chips for the 1 intel is charging. If you think Intel is worth the price, you are just as brainwashed as Apple product buyers. The truth hurts. Value for price, AMD is unbeatable.

1 AMD FX chips arent scalable so no point in beating intel in that market. opteron Vs Zeon. the Zeon wins hands down.
2. I have a FX 6300 in my PC its a piece of junk. the chipset/cpu work terribly together. I constantly get random system freezes because the CPU has so many errors ill get 5 minute freezes (NO BSOD) then once it drops all the tasks and re starts them, the PC then starts responding again
3. Even the value stuff from AMD is terrible. A few years ago. the marketing for SEMPRON was out saying it was great for media center PC's ROFL media centre's need CPU power for encoding/conversion etc, which the SEMPRON did poorly. And wasted my cash. the FX 6300 was the last straw for me after I was promised a great CPU and then all these issues. so now I'm buying a I5 system. just been waiting for the X99 and DDr4 to comes so the Z97 price and I5 comes down a bit. which it will this month.

If and when 6+ thread games become the norm, and if AMD doesn't seriously improve their per-clock performance, I'd just as soon get a 4C/8T Xeon. Losing the OCing and gaining HT for the same price as an i5 is a smart move to me. With Intel's IPC efficiency you don't gain anything notable in gaming by going above 3.5GHz. And the cost difference isn't that much when you consider the whole platform.

Xeon - $250
H87 MBoard - $80
Total - $330

FX-8320 - $160
990 MBoard - $110
CPU Cooler - $30
Total - $300

$30 to me is well worth the better single-thread performance, not to mention the lower noise, heat, and power consumption.

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012

If that's the case, why not use a $30 760G motherboard for the AMD, instead of a 990FX motherboard vs. the lowly H87? If you're going to use low-end MBs on the Intel, why not low-end on the AMD side, especially with "$30 is well worth" it?

vdraconus

Reputable
Jun 28, 2014

I currently have the 6300 in my board. No issues with it whatsoever. Actually I have used it on 2 different motherboards, no issues on either.

Either you're just an intel fanboy, you had a bad motherboard, or you just don't know what you're doing.

vdraconus

Reputable
Jun 28, 2014

I agree with this.

The comparison is rendered invalid.

What's rendered invalid is your judgement of Intel mboards if you consider the H87 or H97 chipset "low-end." What about these two boards do you consider "low-end"? Forward facing SATA, Intel GBit LAN, 4 USB 3.0, full audio jacks, etc. The H8/97 boards are upper mainstream and the only difference between them and the Z is OCing and multi-GPU support. You want to talk low-end Intel, I'd have used the H81, which I can also get for dirt cheap.

Second, you want to OC a 125W CPU on a $30 760G mboard, be my guest. I'll bring the camera and fire extinguisher. Meanwhile I can drop a Xeon in an H81 board with no problem. But if you want to crank that 8320 to clocks where it will compete with a 1230v3, you'll want at the very least a good 970 board. My original price comparison wasn't trying to cut the budget every way possible, it was using parts I'd actually use myself at average prices ( meaning I wasn't counting sales or specials. ) Yes, maybe the comparison would've been better using a 970 board, but those are still pricier than an H87 on average.

People always want to talk about how expensive Intel is and how cheap AMD is. They conveniently forget to take everything into account that is needed to surpass Intel's stock performance. When you do that and include the cost of a premium mboard and CPU cooler, the price difference shrinks considerably. If you skimp on the Xeon's mboard, you might miss some creature comfort features, but you'll still get all the processing power. Do the same when OCing the FX and you run a big risk of problems.

If you're not OCing the 8320, then get whatever board you want. But notice that scenario has nothing to do with my original point.

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Of course, I'm not the one using $30 magical dollars as some great huge foundation for your original argument - YOU DID THAT.

And speaking of crippled... Xeons on an $80 H motherboard. Prada on a pig would be more productive.

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Of course, I'm not the one using $30 magical dollars as some great huge foundation for your original argument - YOU DID THAT. And if "crippled" is an issue, a Xeon on an $80 H motherboard?!! Pigs in Prada would be more productive. But these are YOUR choices, not mine.

Are you actually trying to make a point? It was argued that a six- or eight-thread CPU will be much more valuable to gaming in the coming years and said the 8320 was the smarter purchase. I made a comparison that you can get an eight-thread Intel CPU for just a little more money. To me, that ( roughly ) $30 more I'm paying for a Xeon over a similarly performing 8320 is worth it since I'll be getting better single-thread performance along with less noise, less heat, and less power consumption.

There's nothing "magical" about any of that.

Baconhashtags

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
Yeah so your really need to get be purchasing a 1200w or 1500w PSU for a new build, has anyone considered buying a PSU just for your CPU! would this work?

Baconhashtags

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
Yeah so your really need to get be purchasing a 1200w or 1500w PSU for a new build, has anyone considered buying a PSU just for your CPU! would this work?

seinfeld

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007

he would have been referring to the 990X chipset as opposed to the high end (not really LOL) 990FX the 990X much newer silicon and 760 = bunk

Status
Not open for further replies.