[SOLVED] amd virtualization

Kracken2342

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
So I am trying to overclock my ryzen 5 2600, and once I get into windows the cpu is stable at 3.9 ghz with 1.35 volts on the vcore. I also have virtualization enabled. I was having my system lock up while booting into windows. is this due to virtualization being enabled or another cause

Solution
actually i just tested the latest 0.8 ver and it seems that it's compatible with all mobo brands, the v0.8 beta 3 is(the 0.7.something is not), i provided the link in my previous post,

was able to open it on my asrock ab350m mobo on r5 1400, feel free to give it a try after you will save your cpu as stock volts and stock GHz in bios

// alright so i gave it a test run, i'm currently far away from my R5 1400 cpu so i used teamviewer to access it, it already runs OC to 3.6 @ 1.35 in bios, so i can't really disable that from a distance, i input 3.5 in ZenStates 0.8 beta3 @ 1.4V and clicked on "autostart" and "apply on boot" , then to Apply and Save(save is important)

rebooted, checked clocks and volts - 3.5 & 1.4V , meaning that it works...
Sep 13, 2019
do you do vm stuff or not? cuz if u dont do anything to do with VMs then turn that off
I noticed when building a pc for a friend of mine, stability of his OS was worse with VM stuff on, that is before the 1903 update which fix issues with ryzens on w10, without the VM stuff on i was able to stay for like 5 minutes longer without crashing so it let the windows updater to run longer.

Kracken2342

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
do you do vm stuff or not? cuz if u dont do anything to do with VMs then turn that off
I noticed when building a pc for a friend of mine, stability of his OS was worse with VM stuff on, that is before the 1903 update which fix issues with ryzens on w10, without the VM stuff on i was able to stay for like 5 minutes longer without crashing so it let the windows updater to run longer.
I do use a virtual linux machine sometimes. I was just wondering if It affects my overclocking ability

Sep 13, 2019
Imo u never know what will bug out on you, especially with ryzens, even tho its 3rd revision now, it's still fairly fresh tech and u gotta approach it with such mindset. Worth a try, if it will work without virtualisation then you narrowed down the culprit.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If the OP had actually done some substantial stability testing of his current overclock (with VT off) and found it to be stable, only to have it crash when VT is enabled, maybe I'd think it could be related to that.

By the sounds of things they just punched in some frequency/voltage numbers in the BIOS and are subsequently experiencing instability, in which case the obvious and far more likely answer is that their overclock is simply unstable.

Kracken2342

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
If the OP had actually done some substantial stability testing of his current overclock (with VT off) and found it to be stable, only to have it crash when VT is enabled, maybe I'd think it could be related to that.

By the sounds of things they just punched in some frequency/voltage numbers in the BIOS and are subsequently experiencing instability, in which case the obvious and far more likely answer is that their overclock is simply unstable.
well my overclock is stable but now it seems like after every cold boot, my bios voltage settings reset. nothing else. just the voltage goes back to auto, which is why i think it locks up, because there isnt enough voltage being applied because after a cold boot it resets. any thoughts on why the voltage settings keep getting reset

Sep 13, 2019
do you have any option for auto overclocking on? when ocing on asus board i had to manually select to "keep current settings" because inhouse ocing mode would be changing the values on its own, also ryzen master will only keep the oc settings for one boot cycle, it's purely a software for oc testing and it wont be keeping your profile after another reboot or at least that's just my experience with it.

Kracken2342

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
do you have any option for auto overclocking on? when ocing on asus board i had to manually select to "keep current settings" because inhouse ocing mode would be changing the values on its own, also ryzen master will only keep the oc settings for one boot cycle, it's purely a software for oc testing and it wont be keeping your profile after another reboot or at least that's just my experience with it.
I am not using ryzen master, but i will go check for auto overclock settings

Kracken2342

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
seems like there isnt any auto overclocking. Any other ideas on why the voltage drops to auto on a cold boot?

Enabling virtualization is a quite standard BIOS setting, and, that setting alone should make no difference in CPU stability. (it's not as if it's some big stress factor during bootup, etc...; virtualization itself, be it thru Type1 or Type 2 hypervisor is no more stressful than any OS is....

Last edited:

Kracken2342

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
Enabling virtualization is a quite standard BIOS setting, and, that setting alone should make no difference in CPU stability. (it's not as if it's some big stress factor during bootup, etc...; virtualization itself, be it thru Type1 or Type 2 hypervisor is no more stressful than any OS is....
well I have narrowed the problem down to the vcore voltage going back to auto on a cold boot, even though my overclock is stable. Any Ideas on why?

FullTank

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
try 3.6 with same volts, if it will be same behavior then the guys here will at least progress further, if issue will disappear then you will know what to do

also, is it 4pin or 8pin cpu connector? memory mhz?

Kracken2342

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
try 3.6 with same volts, if it will be same behavior then the guys here will at least progress further, if issue will disappear then you will know what to do

also, is it 4pin or 8pin cpu connector? memory mhz?
It is an 8 pin cpu connector and my memory is running at 3000 mhz. I changed it to 3.6 and I still get the problem. I dont think it has to do with a bad overclock

FullTank

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
alright, good, now everyone here will at least know that 3.9 is in fact fine instead of just your words, now, try 2666 memory mhz to remove it's out of the possibilities as well, and then the only remaining ones would be mobo and psu , which is sadly always the most difficult to figure out

Kracken2342

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
alright, good, now everyone here will at least know that 3.9 is in fact fine instead of just your words, now, try 2666 memory mhz to remove it's out of the possibilities as well, and then the only remaining ones would be mobo and psu , which is sadly always the most difficult to figure out
okay so I set the ram to its default speed, 2400 mhz i think. the voltage still just didn't apply the offset. any ideas on troubleshooting the psu or mobo. maybe i could make sure all the cables are plugged in.

FullTank

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
i think it's mobo's bios issue or bios battery, even when psu is related to voltages, i don't think it would touch only core voltages (always) while leaving the rest of the system rock stable, if you have spare time then feel free to RMA the mobo,

there is a tool called ZenStates ( https://zenstates.protonrom.com/ < latest 0.8 beta ver), it have the function to do OC on startup though some users report it as unstable, while some others as "had no problems with it" , which would be just workaround but at least it would be able to cold boot without problems with that

// feel free to set back the ram's mhz to 3000 and cpu core to 3.9 if didn't done yet

Last edited:

FullTank

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
actually i just tested the latest 0.8 ver and it seems that it's compatible with all mobo brands, the v0.8 beta 3 is(the 0.7.something is not), i provided the link in my previous post,

was able to open it on my asrock ab350m mobo on r5 1400, feel free to give it a try after you will save your cpu as stock volts and stock GHz in bios

// alright so i gave it a test run, i'm currently far away from my R5 1400 cpu so i used teamviewer to access it, it already runs OC to 3.6 @ 1.35 in bios, so i can't really disable that from a distance, i input 3.5 in ZenStates 0.8 beta3 @ 1.4V and clicked on "autostart" and "apply on boot" , then to Apply and Save(save is important)

rebooted, checked clocks and volts - 3.5 & 1.4V , meaning that it works on boot just fine. ;)
don't forget to input stock clocks and volts in your bios before saving your desired clocks in ZenStates(to avoid any potential boot problems from bios side), hope that will "fix" your issue for time being

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS