AMD vs Intel: Which CPU Cooks Better Pancakes?

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
I think a cast Iron pan would have been much better. First you don't have those grooves blocking efficient heat transfer - the smooth bottom on the cast iron pan would require far less grease and transfer the heat better. Also it would be able to absorb much more overall heat, rendering a much better cooking experience, and you can get those in "tiny" format as well. Cast Iron just makes everything taste better anyway.

So I want to see a rematch with a better pan after you find a way to keep the TR system running. :)

This is one of the best articles I've seen at Tom's in a while. :) Great fun.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
prince-breakfast-can-wait-cover-608x608.jpg

Lutfij

Titan
Maybe see if you can slow cook a hearty soup atop that setup using a cast iron pot, with a lapped underside so it has smooth contact patch to make with the IHS of the processors(s).

In that write up, you can have the same conclusion :D

InvalidError

Titan
Both CPUs may be able to make better pancakes if there was a solid aluminum block CPU-to-pan adapter between the IHS and pan - quickly and evenly pull heat out of the CPU so the CPU does not have as severe hot-spotting as it would with manual pan pressure and spread it more evenly under the pan so pan contact wouldn't be as critical. Machine the TR4 and LGA adapters to the same weight so they both require the same amount of specific heat to warm up. The adapter would also solve the problem with chipset heatsink and other board feature clearances.

Reactions: Lutfij

RainingTacco

Prominent
Sep 21, 2019
Quality stuff. If i ever find myself in postapocalyptic scenario where i wont have any high resistance wire laying around, but i had a plenty of motherboards, cpus and batteries/power source and raw pancake dough, while being erroneously hungry, then after this test i can finally sleep well knowing that intel chips are better in making pancakes.

Reactions: King_V

enigmaxg2

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
I know this is a very extreme test, but looks like VRMs on MSI boards for AMD are still shit.

In the Phenom/early FX era they even told you to refrain from running any stress test like Prime 95 on these because that would kill those VRMs, seems that a reminiscent of that era still persists.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I know this is a very extreme test, but looks like VRMs on MSI boards for AMD are still shit.

In the Phenom/early FX era they even told you to refrain from running any stress test like Prime 95 on these because that would kill those VRMs, seems that a reminiscent of that era still persists.
Lol, that's your takeaway from this article? We don't even know if the VRMs were the issue with the W2990X test.

Reactions: King_V
Oct 6, 2019
With all the compound he put on that processor he did not get enough heat transfer to the pan. More is not better, or batter.