News AMD vs Nvidia: Which Is More Popular Among Linux Users?

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That's interesting because I've never been able to get Nvidia's drivers working on Linux, especially lately. This is the roadblock keeping me from a Linux gaming build.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Boiling Steam's recent ProtonDB analysis has compiled over 100,000 Linux gaming builds to see whether AMD or Nvidia is more popular among Linux users.

AMD vs Nvidia: Which Is More Popular Among Linux Users? : Read more

If it wasnt for the shortages on the rx6800s I would have already built a new steam gaming linux box.

The fact that I can just plug a card in and it just works means that a few extra frames with the nvidia card really isn't worth the headache or my time. I want the automagic.

Every time I see Linux + Nvidia in the same subject, I can't help but remember that one line from Linus Torvalds...
XD

While DirectStorage, DLSS 2.0 and adequate hardware video encoding is not in option in AMD GPUs, GTFO. Linus may rant if he want :)

The fact that I can just plug a card in and it just works means that a few extra frames with the nvidia card really isn't worth the headache or my time. I want the automagic.

No lazy way in Linux even for AMD geeks. You still at least must switch to AMD/Nvidia proprietary drivers in Driver Manager.

Particularly now after monitor upgrade I got big issue with Linux gaming - lack of HDR in Linux. Mixed dark/bright spaces in games are better distinguishable in HDR. I hope Wayland developers will succeed here soon.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
DirectStorage
Neat. Looking forward to see if it does anything... or they screw it up. It's Windows.

Still niche. Nvidia needs to expand this and RT far more than what they're doing now, not just aiming for the latest and Nvidia-sponsored titles. None of the games I play so far support either.
Is that my fault? Not really. Everyone's got their preferences.

adequate hardware video encoding is not in option in AMD GPUs
Yeah, that does suck.

I don't wanna...

I guess they had to pull numbers from somewhere... However I know I use Linux for everything except gaming. That's the only thing I keep Windows around for. I'd venture to say there are a few more like me that are "forced" to dual boot for this reason as well.

That's interesting because I've never been able to get Nvidia's drivers working on Linux, especially lately. This is the roadblock keeping me from a Linux gaming build.

What distro are you running? I always download the driver straight from Nvidia and install it manually. Between package managers and such many distros try and make driver installs fairly painless these days.

While DirectStorage, DLSS 2.0 and adequate hardware video encoding is not in option in AMD GPUs, GTFO. Linus may rant if he want :)

No lazy way in Linux even for AMD geeks. You still at least must switch to AMD/Nvidia proprietary drivers in Driver Manager.

Particularly now after monitor upgrade I got big issue with Linux gaming - lack of HDR in Linux. Mixed dark/bright spaces in games are better distinguishable in HDR. I hope Wayland developers will succeed here soon.
AMD hardware encoder worked well with my Polaris 10 card. Quality to size ratio ain't very good compared with CPU encoding so I didn't look further.

The only proprietary AMD driver for Linux is for certified CAD applications. For any other uses, AMD recommends the open source drivers - in short, right after you're done installing the OS, you can install your game and play.

True, HDR is still missing under Linux, as X.org just can't handle HDR ; this may be solved when Wayland becomes the default (next year, as Ubuntu is pushing for it). As for RT, last December a Vulkan revision finally delivered on a standardized way to handle it.

Reactions: prtskg
After RTX IO release AMD inevitably will release same feature with whatever name. It will happen, because extremely fast data exchange directly between NVMe drive and GPU VRAM without CPU and system RAM involvement is very tasty feature for game developers (texture and shader loading), data analysts and our nemesis (cryptominers). And API for this feature access will inevitably appear in Linux side as well with support in Wine/Proton. DirectStorage is Microsoft name, in Linux it will have some other name - we don't know it yet, because it is not released. Definitely want to see working and not buggy DLSS 2.0 alternative in AMD GPUs as well. With Linux support in drivers obviously. Competition is good thing here for gaming folks. Still hope that AMD will fix their hardware video encoding artefacts in some day.

I admit about being out of touch with AMD Linux drivers for like 2 years already. Sold my R9 280 to friend and gave away RX580 to nephew. If AMD Linux drivers now does work out of box then good for AMD (and us). Proper kernel version presence in popular distros seems an issue here. Home computer upgrade to AMD 5800X CPU based system in result required manual kernel upgrade to 5.10 in Linux Mint 20.1.

Phaaze88: GTFO was mentioned for Mr. Torvalds ;)

jurjen

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009

That's interesting because some Linuxes even have NVidia drivers built in, like Pop! OS . And despite its horrible name, Pop! OS works like a charm 😀

The direct link to the Pop! OS Nvidia download is this: https://pop-iso.sfo2.cdn.digitaloceanspaces.com/21.04/amd64/nvidia/6/pop-os_21.04_amd64_nvidia_6.iso

Last edited:

jurjen

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
Is the writer of this article able to read graphs?

"Linux might only make up a very small portion of the operating system market share (about 1-2% depending on who you ask)"

Who says 2.35% and ask says 2.68% while in the same graph as who the top of Linux OS market share is 3,61% (June 20).
So the Linux OS market share is between 2 and 4 but as we all know, in reality much, much, higher!

Ironically, the year of the Linux Desktop will be the year Microsoft migrates Windows to Linux somewhere in the coming years, as it clearly is steering towards to. Already, MS has most of its software stack migrated to Linux (too). It's just a matter of time but the financial benefits clearly outperform the costs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krotow