AMD Wants to Know What You'd Do With 48 Cores

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

azetec

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
The problem is not what we do with 48 Cores but what can that CPU do ? Can he render a full CGI movie in 3D Studio Max or Maya with awesome graphics like Avatar in less than 10 minutes ? Or can he render ultra-realistic 3xFullHD 1080p Stereoscopic Raytracing games with ultra-realistic Physics simulations at 120 FPS ?

zubair_61

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I routinely use ten quad core computers clustered together for running my traffic models. It will be more efficient to have a single machine with 48 cores because my software allows explicit use of each core instead of just relying on the operating system. I can get a performace boost with that!

ceteras

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
48 cores? Windows 2008 server ?
Hell, first thing I'd put a linux on the damn beast, then do some neat parallel programming research, maybe implement some very powerful route planning/navigation system.

[citation][nom]dkcrogue[/nom]I'd use all that CPU power to compress data in real time as it is writen to HDD/SSD in order to increase throughput![/citation]
I think that's brilliant. Use the component that is most powerful to speed up the slowest.

stupiduser

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I would follow in the footsteps of my hero Lazlo Hollyfield and use this system to fill out applications for every contest and giveaway.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
for some reason I think telling a chick you have a 48 core processor isn't going to do much to increase your chances of getting laid, actually probably quite the opposite.

depends on the chick i know a few that would be impressed, even fewer that are attractive :(

kokin

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Most chicks just aren't into hardware. I know plenty who know how to use tons of different programs, but it's rare to find any that know hardware stuff.

I would see if AMD can make a product that beats Intell at the High end.

I loves me some AMD ( for the low/middle end), But come on, their most expensive Desktop CPU is 160$.

I realy want a 300$ AMD CPU to compete with the i7-930. Hopefully the Hex-Cores soming out with the 890FX can do that...

shurcooL

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
[citation][nom]drowned[/nom]Sell it, downgrade to a quad core i7, then use the profits for crossfire X 5970's.[/citation]
Hahahaha, this is so full of win. :p

Well, not for AMD.

G

I would Play Crysis, Then Donate it to Intel Because heaven knows they need it...

kokin

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]ProelectronX[/nom]I would Play Crysis, Then Donate it to Intel Because heaven knows they need it...[/citation]
But Intel already made an 80-core CPU, so why bother?

G

Hey y'know maybe being able to open photoshop, a browser and my email at the same time and not having to wait while each program hangs - omy 17-980x - might be a bit too much to ask? I'm only trying to earn a living here after all. 1 core felt faster it seems.

I'll tell you what to do with 48 cores. Don't bother. How about a bit of energy into actually making real world multitasking a reality instead of flattering benchmarks on a chart that don't mean squat to me, here in the real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.