AMD: We're Benifiting from Intel's Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Umm... Who wants to even buy Phenom II? Those are low class compared to what hype Bulldozer has in it's reputation. So where is Bulldozer? I'm waiting so I can compare it with Sandy Bridge for my new computer I've been waiting to build for the last month.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
The majority of consumers buy a "computer", not a phenom or a bulldozer... You are a minority if you're waiting for a certain chip.

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
What disturbs me in this article is the statement that "Intel announced it would resume shipment of the faulty Cougar Point chipsets"...WTF Intel? They think it is messy now...intentionally selling known faulty product will only make it 10 times worse. Who on earth will be buying the faulty chips...oh wait..HP,Dell, etc....they sell faulty product all the time so this is right up their ally and probably at a decent discount.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]edilee[/nom]What disturbs me in this article is the statement that "Intel announced it would resume shipment of the faulty Cougar Point chipsets"...WTF Intel? They think it is messy now...intentionally selling known faulty product will only make it 10 times worse. Who on earth will be buying the faulty chips...oh wait..HP,Dell, etc....they sell faulty product all the time so this is right up their ally and probably at a decent discount.[/citation]
And if you had done 45 seconds of research you would have seen that Intel is only allowing use of these chips in laptops where it will be physically impossible to use a Sata II port that is effected by the defect

G

You might have to wait til 3rd qtr for Bulldozer. SB will probably be back on track by summer.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]Umm... Who wants to even buy Phenom II? Those are low class compared to what hype Bulldozer has in it's reputation. So where is Bulldozer? I'm waiting so I can compare it with Sandy Bridge for my new computer I've been waiting to build for the last month.[/citation]
Who wants to buy a Phenom? People who care about power-to-price ratio rather than giving no consideration to price at all and chasing after having certain names on/in your computer (i.e. Apple users).

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]Umm... Who wants to even buy Phenom II? Those are low class compared to what hype Bulldozer has in it's reputation. So where is Bulldozer? I'm waiting so I can compare it with Sandy Bridge for my new computer I've been waiting to build for the last month.[/citation]
People who don't want to spend $1000 or more on their new PC. You people need to understand that the enthusiast market makes up a very, very small amount of market share. Not everyone need (or like me, wants) bleeding edge tech. Some people prefer to stick to time-tested models, and do you really need anything better than a Phenom II quad, anyway?

snoogins

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Makes sense, even if they don't have something that can actually replace the performance, people's image of intel is a bit off right now. Think of the people who walk into best buy and buy computers. Now think about all the mainstream press (bad) intel has gotten. These people might say.. well... I don't want an intel, only because they messed up.

[citation][nom]discothan[/nom]You might have to wait til 3rd qtr for Bulldozer. SB will probably be back on track by summer.[/citation]

Zambezi risk production is reported to begin in April. I doubt they can move that forward (by very much, anyway). What they may be able to do is re-commit x amount of wafer starts over 4-6 months in one direction or another.

And that may well be what's up with Llano -- to go head-to-head with the relaunch of Cougar Point. Be less of Zambezi in the channel, and keep that price up :)

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Intel is only saying that it is the first two ports. I think most people who lack the technical understanding will just make a blanket assumption and either go with previous tech if they need it now or wait for rev 2.

angela1130

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
LOL @ AMD trying to sell their old chips.
My Sandy Bridge build rocks.

I'd rather get a Core 2 duo than a phenom 2 ...

KT_WASP

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008

A lot of people still want to buy a Phenom II actually. The 45nm k10.5 architecture is a proven, reliable product. If you had to buy a computer today, your choices for a platform that is relitivly current would be an AMD socket AM3 or an Intel socket 1156 /1366. Out of those three platforms, the AM3 still has the best price to performance ratio.

Now, when Sandybridge socket 1155 platform was released, that dynamic changed and Intel was offering a better price to performance raito on the higher end of the spectrum. But, right now, that is a moot point, since you basically cant buy/build a socket 1155 platform at this point and time. So, for buyers on the market right now, they have to look at the three platforms I mentioned above.

Also, you need to take into consideration the bussiness aspect as well. A lot of buissneses do not buy brand new tech, as early adopters, for the very reason that you see with this whole Sandybridge problem. Bussineses tend not to go bleeding edge, but look to proven platforms that have had all the bugs worked out, are stable , reliable and effecient. Also, buisineses tend to look to price/performance ratios very closely. So, it makes sense that a lot of people still look to an AMD sollution for their computing needs.

As it has been mentioned, not everyone is enthusiast driven and in fact the enthusiast segment of the market is only a small percentage. So, try to look at it from different angles other then from the mindset of an enthusiast. If you do that, I think you can agree that the AM3 Phenom II's are still a very viable choice today.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]And if you had done 45 seconds of research you would have seen that Intel is only allowing use of these chips in laptops where it will be physically impossible to use a Sata II port that is effected by the defect[/citation]

It's both the SATA II hubs that are affected. So that only leaves the SATA III hub. But since that uses 30% more power it doesn't make sense to use that in a laptop.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
"But since that uses 30% more power it doesn't make sense to use that in a laptop. "

Your statement is very misleading, or at least your information source.
Remember- 30% of one or two watts isn't all that much: especially if we assume that laptops only have two things connected: the hard drive (or SSD), and the optical drive. So (usually) only one link is active- by the way, Windows 7 can shut down ODDs when they aren't being used on laptops.

The speed does matter, though, if you're using an SSD, and I know of at least two soon-to-be-released laptop that will use SATA 3 for their main drive controller, actually (the Lenovo T420 and T520, which will boot faster than a T410 will with one of those Crucial C400 SSD's because of the interface.)

Also, why would an SATA 3 controller use '30% more' power in SATA 2 compatibility mode? Wouldn't it be more efficient, seeing as it's a new revision of the chipset?

And 30% of a small amount of power pales in comparison to the energy savings you get with a Sandy Bridge processor. This site has a comparison on that. So even if some chip uses '30% more power', you still see a net saving in power.

chaoski

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
"Some retailers have had to take things off their shelves, so they call us to ask what they could get from our OEMs that's similar.."

Umm, NOTHING AMD has today comes even close to SB.

In gaming, AMD is still struggling to catch up with 1156 socket chips.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS