AMD X2 Support on Neo2?

ME

Hi, can someone point me to a BIOS for the MSI Neo2 Platinum that works
with the AMD X2 dual core processors? Thanks

On 9 Jul 2005 01:21:20 -0700, me@mikearens.com wrote:

>Hi, can someone point me to a BIOS for the MSI Neo2 Platinum that works
>with the AMD X2 dual core processors? Thanks

I'm assuming you're asking about the K8N.

There is no official bios yet. If you're feeling brave you can try
the beta/unofficial bois that's discussed here:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&threadid=1620605&frmKeyword=&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 15:26:46 -0400, Folk <Folk@folk.com> wrote:

>On 9 Jul 2005 01:21:20 -0700, me@mikearens.com wrote:
>
>>Hi, can someone point me to a BIOS for the MSI Neo2 Platinum that works
>>with the AMD X2 dual core processors? Thanks
>
>I'm assuming you're asking about the K8N.
>
>There is no official bios yet. If you're feeling brave you can try
>the beta/unofficial bois that's discussed here:
>http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&threadid=1620605&frmKeyword=&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

Following up...

There is now official bios support for X2 processors for the K8N Neo2.
The new bios version is 1.9 and can be found by selecting the correct
motherboard model here:
http://www.msicomputer.com/support/bios_result.asp

I loaded it last night. I don't have a dual core processor, but on
cold boot the bios screen now indicates the number of processors.
Unlike past bios updates that left my settings intact, this one
changes a few things so you'll want to go into the bios after the
flash and confirm your settings. In particular, this one turned on
the NVRaid option (I had it turned off) and it also has a completely
different layout in the memory settings section of the Cell menu.

I'm running a 3500+ at 11 x 220 and the new bios appears to be just as
stable as the previous 1.8 version. The only problem I've found (so
far) is that the NVMonitor program (that monitors your temps) now
complains about no bios support and fails to load, although the NTune
app still seems to work OK. Not a big loss, since the Core Center
application still works just fine.

I know that there are a lot of these boards out there, and it appears
we now have a good upgrade path going forward. So if you're needing a
good board with AGP support then the K8N Neo2 is still a viable
option.