AMD X399 Supports SATA RAID, But Not NVMe RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.

I remember 8086

Prominent
Aug 3, 2017
It does seem odd that no one really is very disturbed that Intel literally screwed millions of people out of a superior chip set solution merely in order to maintain market share.

Seriously, there are people who pee all over themselves at the thought that their pee pee selfies are not absolutely private from the gov't, but not a word about this.

A strange world indeed

zippyzion

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Intel's NVMe RAID support isn't all flowers and lolipops anyways. You have to pay to unlock features built into the motherboard for anything more than RAID 0, you can't make it a bootable array unless you use Intel SSDs, and to cap it off it is Skylake-X only. Get your wallets out, because Intel will make you pay, a lot, for this decidedly premium feature. I suspect that once AMD has it figured out that they won't be charging people extra for the feature.

shabbo

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Not worth the trouble of doing software RAID imo when building a $5K workstation in the first place. If you want reliable performance we have 20 extra PCIE 3 lanes to leverage with on the AMD solution for manufacturers to work with. And Oh...if you really need all that extra I/O for large GPU work loads, then buy a Radeon Pro SSG and get the job done like a true professional.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

What's your point? This article is about X399 not supporting NVMe RAID. Of course the mobos support M.2/NVMe in non-RAID configs.

Edit: Actually, specifically booting from an NVMe RAID configuration. Based on this article, it sounds like non-bootable NVMe raid setups are still supported.

hannibal

Distinguished
I hope that Intel will take it head of from the... and provide more pci lines to normal customers without ripping your wallet in the same.
Good to know that AMD is planning the raid option. For me, even m2 without raid would be an improvement!

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

As far as I can tell, SSD RAID 0 is basically for sequential read/write synthetic benchmarks and bragging rights. Of the few use cases for SSD RAID 0 that I've heard of, I don't think there's any reason why you'd necessarily need it to be your boot drive. This article only says that NVMe RAID as a boot drive isn't supported.

Actually a LOT of people were/are bothered by Intel's overall business practices. Unfortunately, AMD hadn't offered real competition to Intel chipsets, specifically on the higher end, in years. Bulldozer was largely a disappointment. I wasn't going to spend my hard earned money on an inferior chipset just to "teach Intel a lesson."

That of course changed with Ryzen and the fact that we are seeing a major positive reception, especially from people who are upgrading from an Intel chipset, speaks volumes. I will repeat: there are and will be a lot of Intel builders who have switched to Ryzen for their chipset upgrade solution. Just because you don't see daily stories or daily comments by the millions doesn't mean we aren't out there.

Shotta06

Honorable
May 4, 2017
Actually a LOT of people were/are bothered by Intel's overall business practices. Unfortunately, AMD hadn't offered real competition to Intel chipsets, specifically on the higher end, in years. Bulldozer was largely a disappointment. I wasn't going to spend my hard earned money on an inferior chipset just to "teach Intel a lesson."

That of course changed with Ryzen and the fact that we are seeing a major positive reception, especially from people who are upgrading from an Intel chipset, speaks volumes. I will repeat: there are and will be a lot of Intel builders who have switched to Ryzen for their chipset upgrade solution. Just because you don't see daily stories or daily comments by the millions doesn't mean we aren't out there.

I completely agree. I have NEVER owned anything AMD but have pre ordered my threadripper/mobo with no second thought.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
The setup would support software RAID in Windows but that is not bootable and decreases performance.

For most users RAID 0 isn't that big of a deal but if you edit video the high sequential read and write speeds mean quite a bit. The Threadripper platform may be excellent for video editing, it has all of the check boxes filled, except for NVMe RAID 0.

hurnii

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
While the article says no bootable NVMe M.2 arrays, it neither says yea nor nay to whether non-bootable NMVe M.2 arrays are possible. I don't mean "soft" raid, like a Windows striped array, which should work with anything, I mean the OS sees the two devices as a single device. And TRIM should be supported, too.

Malik 722

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
have tom hardware done any article on raid system i mean on it's working,how to set it, since i am new to this i would like to see that and learn more about it.

alextheblue

Distinguished
We are talking about HEDT/workstation class boards, though. For the enthusiast there isn't much practical difference in real-world use between a single high-end NVMe M.2 drive and a striped array. For workstation and professional use, reliability is pretty darn important. I can't think of many cases in between where you would both need NVMe RAID 0 for sequential performance, but also don't care much about the reliability of your boot drive. Still, if you want a RAID 0 NVMe array for your OS drive, I'm sure they'll add the feature in a future firmware update.

Shotta06

Honorable
May 4, 2017
So, does this mean my 960 evo M.2 wont work??

I'm slightly confused as the mobos have the slot for it. Even on pcpartpicker just selecting a M.2 is saying compatibility issue.

Can't help but notice the timing of this article. Not a day after Asrock announces Coffee Lake CPUs won't be compatible with the z270 platform. Not that there aren't other ongoing issues as well. Someone mentioned rising prices for chips with less lanes. I thought that was an excellent point, fwiw.

There's also Intel facing complaints regarding alarming heat issues with their latest x299 platform, attributing the problem to Skylake X (possibly), & more complaints of heat issues regarding I9 CPU's. I wonder how those "loyal customers" with those heat issues feel right about now after buying an i9? Maybe a BIOS will come along & fix it. Maybe. Makes one scratch their head, Intel acting as if its business as usual, as if there's no competition, & shrugging off any complaints.

Skylake X & Kabylake X use the same Thermal Interface Material many of Intel's enthusiast customers strongly dislike. Intel could've bit the bullet & soldered these chips, but nope. They act as if they've no competition to worry about, or as if articles such as this will make any difference whatsoever to those waiting on Coffee Lake. I wonder... will they be releasing their their Flagship Core i9-7980XE on Oct 18, with it's 18 Cores, unsoldered, as well? How about Coffee Lake?

"I'm sure they will have support added over time. At least they are not disabling PCIE lanes or selling raid keys to charge extra to enable features already in the cpu/board."

+1. Thus, the topic of this article is a transparent non-issue for most end users. Moreover, AMD will likely remedy this soon enough. Even if they don't, tbh, very few would care. FWIW, it'd still better than practically fleecing customers to "unlock" features CPUs already have on them. Like booting in NVME RAID 0...

Status
Not open for further replies.