News AMD: Zen 3 Remains on Track for 2020

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
There is an inverse relationship between being profit-focused and actually making some. I'm glad to hear they're pushing forward this year. Lots of people like me have been putting off an upgrade. Aggressive innovation will be rewarded.

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
Good to know AMD is still on track but i would expect Zen 3 to be released closer to December than summer. Their cadence so far seems to be just over 12 months.

Good to know AMD is still on track but i would expect Zen 3 to be released closer to December than summer. Their cadence so far seems to be just over 12 months.
If we were to look at their prior Ryzen launches, the first-gen desktop processors came out in early March of 2017 for the higher-end models, with the mid-range models coming in April. Second-gen Ryzen came in April of 2018, about 13.5 months after the initial first-gen launch. Third-gen Ryzen launched in early July of 2019, about 14.5 months later. So, if one were to go by that ~14 month cadence as an indication of when fourth-gen might launch, that would put the release sometime around early September, give or take a few weeks, making for a late summer or early fall release.

Of course, two roughly 14 month periods is not a particularly large sample size to go by, so that could easily be different this time around. Seeing as they will be releasing the Ryzen 3000 XT models in early July, I wouldn't expect Ryzen 4000 desktop processors to be out only a couple months later. So, September is probably out of the picture, at the very least.

Another thing to consider is that they might launch their "Big Navi" GPUs alongside Ryzen 4000, much like they did with Ryzen 3000 and the first Navi cards. AMD already confirmed to investors that their Navi 2X graphics cards will be coming to PC prior to next-gen consoles launching, and since I would expect the consoles to come out around late November in time for the holiday shopping season, that means new graphics cards should be coming before then. So, if both launch together, that could mean a release sometime around October.

Reactions: Soaptrail