News AMD Zen 4 Ryzen 7000 Has 8–10% IPC Uplift, More than 35% Overall Performance Gain

Two quick corrections:
(...)this is an “up to or greater than” value.
That should be just "greater than". It is completely opposite from "up to". You could even phrase it as "from or greater than". The "up to" statements are "<=".
(...)it has already demoed a Ryzen 7000 processor running at 5.5 GHz on all cores.
Careful there, as they haven't. They showed a game which we can safely assume it is not loading all cores and they've gone on record saying they'll be hitting above 5Ghz all-core, but haven't said where the speed will land. I hope it is indeed 5.5Ghz, but I doubt it. I'll be more than happy to be wrong. Still, they haven't demoed it.

Regards.

Reactions: KyaraM

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015
Two quick corrections:

That should be just "greater than". It is completely opposite from "up to". You could even phrase it as "from or greater than". The "up to" statements are "<=".

Careful there, as they haven't. They showed a game which we can safely assume it is not loading all cores and they've gone on record saying they'll be hitting above 5Ghz all-core, but haven't said where the speed will land. I hope it is indeed 5.5Ghz, but I doubt it. I'll be more than happy to be wrong. Still, they haven't demoed it.

Regards.

Good eye on the first point. Thx. On the second, AMD has since specified that it was 5.5 GHz on all cores. They certainly didn't say those cores were all under load, of course...so we won't see that at all-core loads (of course).

Reactions: KyaraM
Good eye on the first point. Thx. On the second, AMD has since specified that it was 5.5 GHz on all cores. They certainly didn't say those cores were all under load, of course...so we won't see that at all-core loads (of course).
No problem!

Are you sure they've demoed it though? That was my nitpick. If they've mentioned it, I guess that's good, but we haven't seen anything like the game they ran showing real time clocks. Right?

Regards.

Apr 1, 2020
AMD CEO Lisa Su’s Zen 4 teaser of the Ryzen 7000 processors at Computex 2022 was impressive, but the news that the processors would feature ‘only’ a >15% improvement in single-threaded performance left some enthusiasts feeling a bit underwhelmed. During today’s Financial Analyst Day 2022, AMD clarified that it is targeting an 8 to 10% increase in IPC for the Zen 4 processors and that the company is targeting larger gains in single-threaded performance in some types of workloads.

I would think that enthusiasts are still pretty underwhelmed, I know I still am. 8-10% IPC is the lowest AMD has delivered since the node shrink optimization Zen+, nothing like the gains from Zen-Zen2-Zen3 have been, and could very well leave themselves open to falling well behind Intel.

I would think that enthusiasts are still pretty underwhelmed, I know I still am. 8-10% IPC is the lowest AMD has delivered since the node shrink optimization Zen+, nothing like the gains from Zen-Zen2-Zen3 have been, and could very well leave themselves open to falling well behind Intel.
Keep expectations in check as well. They are delivering a monstrous speed increase at the same time as increasing IPC, unlike Phenom to Bulldozer, so there's nothing to be underwhelmed about yet, specially with no official benchmarks. It's good to be demanding for sure (I know I am), but give AMD the benefit of the doubt on this one. At the end of the day what matters more is the performance you get out of the CPU as whole and not the individual nitpicks.

That being said, it is sad to see they went for clocks and not more IPC like before, so I can totally understand.

Regards.

Reactions: Makaveli

BeedooX

Reputable
Apr 27, 2020
Why would it be underwhelming? IPC is just one performance metric. IPC is just that; how many 'clocks' is another thing. If a 5950X tops out around 5GHz (lightly threaded), and Zen 4 tops out around 5.5GHz gaming (I've seen reports of 5.6 or 5.7), then there's at least 10% more performance overall.... then we all know Zen 3 drops clock speed quite a bit when all cores are pushed; Zen 4 is better at pushing clocks over one core (as previously stated with all cores over 5GHz).

And look, if AMD can't match or beat Intel this time around, then perhaps y'all can look forward to some cheaper CPU's again.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Looks like AMD zeroed in on all core speeds and a tweak to IPC. More less. The performance should be nice. Have to wait and see what Intel has planned next release.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Two quick corrections:

Regards.

Yup, we all know the usual marketing tactics.

If the CPU can run at 5.5GHz on all cores, single core performance will be higher than this and we will see AMD quoting higher clocks instead.

Things are also alot more complicated now. We are no longer in the days where CPU run at fix clock and fix voltage. Now it varies widely according to load and power/thermal limits.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
z8xzPAEsGVJipyAruZEyBo-970-80.jpg

What exactly are the bars here supposed to represent? They just chose two random sized bars and then put a number on top of one of them. It makes no sense to present this data in this format. AMD is absolutely not the only company to do things like this, and all of them need to stop it.

If 35% overall performance improvement is real, there is certainly nothing to complain about here. Though, I have the feeling that will only be the case if you limit yourself to 32 thread capable applications. The real world performance which rarely loads that many threads is going to be lower. If they can hit 25% on average with the 8 core version that will still be great, and easily something worth upgrading to.

What exactly are the bars here supposed to represent? They just chose two random sized bars and then put a number on top of one of them. It makes no sense to present this data in this format. AMD is absolutely not the only company to do things like this, and all of them need to stop it.

If 35% overall performance improvement is real, there is certainly nothing to complain about here. Though, I have the feeling that will only be the case if you limit yourself to 32 thread capable applications. The real world performance which rarely loads that many threads is going to be lower. If they can hit 25% on average with the 8 core version that will still be great, and easily something worth upgrading to.
That is representation of Cinebench score, where the bars reflect the score. There is no scale that is true but the graph has everything to be logic and understand it.

fab672000

Commendable
Jul 5, 2019
DDR5 is a BIG deal for real-time applications such as Digital Audio Workstation software with intense DSP virtual instruments and effects both real-time and offline processing (e.g. VST technology).

DAWBench noted a very significant improvement with this new RAM, at the contrary of the usual benchmark tools that don't put in situation multiple-cores reading, processing streaming SIMD type instructions and writing on a large amount of RAM with typically <10ms round loops.

It sounds very promising, love my 5800x already for studio recording and this new generation might finally kill the intel competition on this (digital audio workstations) market too now.

Last edited: