AMD Zen vs Kaby Lake?

zLukez

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015
What is your guys opinion? Which should I be looking towards? I have a z170 motherboard, so it should be compatible with Kaby Lake. If AMD Zen can beat Kaby Lake, looks like I'll be switching to AMD (first time, although they haven't been known to be "Enthusiast")

Kavinqt

Distinguished
No one truly knows besides AMD, From their Horizons event it if that information they provided us is true then The top Zen CPU will be near as good or even better than Kaby lake. Best bet is to wait and see what some peoples benchmarks show when some youtubers get their hands on the new Zen CPU.

My speculation, based on the available data: Zen will likely be slower per clock and clocked lower. To make up for this, AMD will probably sell you more cores and threads at the same price point as an Intel chip, much like the FX series. However since the FX series was released, a lot more software has become multithreaded, so Zen should fare better against Kaby than Piledriver did against Sandy Bridge.

Price is really the key factor here.

Ziga Stupar

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013

Its a personal choice really, but lets look at this:
-Kabylake: its just an update from Skylake performance increase is expected too improve up to 10% over skylake while adding support for new tech.
-AMD Ryzen(Zen): its a clean design not an upgrade so its true capabilities are currently unknown and yes AMD showed us instrumented tests of their flagship witch is still not in final version, but from this test we can assume Zen will be way better than AMDs previous CPUs, Ryzens will overclock without your interferance and only thing that will effect this auto OC is your cooling.

But make no mistake current Ryzen CPU we are seeing is probably a flagship so price will probably be 500€+ and this is not a gaming CPU its a 8c/16t monster for heavy loads meant too challange intels i7 6900 witch is 1000€+ CPU. Gaming CPUs will come later.

So intel will bring upgraded version while AMD will bring something completly new

zLukez

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015
Well, I already chose to upgrade to Broadwell-E (i7 6800k), but I don't expect the value of the i7 6800k to go down much by then. Maybe I will wait and see or not.

Ziga Stupar

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
^^^ well this is tricky it all depends on real life performance of Ryzen and price of it if 6 core Ryzen can keep up with 6800k and is cheaper than 6800k will lose value, but i would not worry about value of 6800k becouse its priced close to rumored 6 core Ryzen price while 6850k and 6900k will most likely lost value

Ziga Stupar

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013

its just a theory nobody besides AMD knows the prices, but lets be serious there is no way Ryzen will be cheap as FX series are now. Look AMD needs money now and if Ryzen can compete with intel they will cost way more than current FX CPUs

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
no, more like a month at best.

But I would not buy any cpu/mobo related products till the NDA on zen is lifted and a full review from anandtech and tomshardware have been released along with the price of course.

uguv

Distinguished

Sarinaide is correct. From the reviews I've read, including the one on this site, Kaby Lake has absolutely no IPC improvements, only ~200mhz clock speed improvements. I'm not sure what processor you already have. I wouldn't upgrade from a 6700 to a 7700. If you have a Skylake i3 or i5 and are planning on going to an i7 then Kaby Lake makes some sense.

Ryzen's release date isn't yet known. The 8c/16t model looks like it may beat out the i7-7700 in multi-threaded workloads but will probably be priced more in line with Broadwell-E if it really performs as well as some of the leaks are indicating. In single-threaded applications everything points to Skylake/Kaby Lake being superior.

I would add a caveat to that. A SR7 Black Edition is not really a gaming orientated part, it is a high performance CPU designed more for big crunching and image rendering or animation etc where its muscle is able to destroy workloads. It is clocked at 3.6Ghz base and all core turbo at 3.9Ghz featuring XFR which makes it like an overclock in that it can perminantly stay at 3.9Ghz unlike Turbo which reverts to normal after a few seconds.

The SR7 per Canard PC (a very reputable tech writing journal and a reputable author) showed a 3.1Ghz Zen performing at 6600K levels in gaming and about 20% slower than a 6900K in work intensive loads but the caveat there is low clockspeed, the 6600K is 3.5Ghz, also bare in mind that the 6900K had similar performance.

Further we have learnt that the final silicon is clocked about 12% higher so you will see the SR7 BE perform equally to that of a 6900K gaming wise, and maybe 5% slower in intensive workloads.

AMD are releasing a 6 core/ 12 Thread SR5 and 4C/8T SR3 both expected to have high clocks to match the 6700/7700 in gaming performance.

Clariska

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2012

When i bought my fx 4170k in 2012 the price was 1.4k.Where an 2100k would cost me 2.5k(dealer price0So it was way cheaper for me but i made one mistake that i won't do with zen.I will never buy a rev 1 cpu from amd again :D.So i will get a zen cpu much later after they released it then tweak it and release a new version.