AMD3 Build To AMD4 Build? Opinions & Suggestions

Carlos_115

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
Today I have an old AM3 Build and I plan to build a AM4 PC.
Current Setup:
FX6300 3.5Ghz Processor
Radeon R9 270 2GB Graphics Card
1TB HDD
500GB
24GB RAM DDR3 @ 1333Mhz (CPU Cooler is too big, taking up extra RAM Slot)

I purchased some components yesterday with a budget of £500. I plan to save up for the future and upgrade my PC with time. I made the decision of purchasing the "Short-Term Build" as below:

ASRock Taichi X370
DDR4 2666Mhz 1 x 8GB RAM
Ryzen 3 1200 Processor

(Components taken from old PC)
Radeon R9 270 2GB Graphics Card
1TB Hard Drive
500GB Samsung Pro SSD

With a budget of £500 right now, I made the decision of purchasing a high-end motherboard knowing I will want to max-out this build to it's potential.

Ideal Build:
64GB RAM(4 x 16GB)@4000Mhz
Ryzen 7 1800x Processor @3.8Ghz
GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founders Edition
Corsair H110i Liquid Cooler
M2 Ultra (PCIe Gen 3 x4) 1TB Samsung SSD
2TB Samsung SSD (In RAID1)
2TB Samsung SSD (In RAID1)

Due to budget right now I am getting the short-term build but I plan to max out this board as much as possible! Do you think this Ideal Build will be possible?
Should I buy all the components at once or buy the components along the way and upgrade as I go along?
What do you guys think? What could be improved on?
What component should I buy first to feel the most effect? I'm thinking of saving up for a 1800x Processor first to enable the pc to handle a 1080Ti in the future and then an extra 8GB RAM. With the short-term build right now, the 1200 Processor can only handle a GTX 1060 to it's full potential, it bottlenecks higher graphics cards.

Thanks Again,
Carlos

Solution
64 GB RAM is overkill, no need to go for 64GB right away
to my knowledge there's barely a board that runs 3200MHz RAM stable
an ideal build doesn't come with a Founders Edition card, unless you're planning on using a water block
SSDs for general storage are luxury and right now a waste of money
also "M2 Ultra" SSDs serve little purpose in consumer grade builds. a slower SSD is plenty fast and costs half.

I'd upgrade CPU / GPU first, adding the other things down the line
64 GB RAM is overkill, no need to go for 64GB right away
to my knowledge there's barely a board that runs 3200MHz RAM stable
an ideal build doesn't come with a Founders Edition card, unless you're planning on using a water block
SSDs for general storage are luxury and right now a waste of money
also "M2 Ultra" SSDs serve little purpose in consumer grade builds. a slower SSD is plenty fast and costs half.

I'd upgrade CPU / GPU first, adding the other things down the line

Solution

Carlos_115

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
Thanks for the quick reply and for the suggestions!
Definitely, the CPU & GPU will come first

This PC will be used for Video Editing, 3D Rendering and Live Stream so 32GB RAM could help.
What Graphics would you suggest as Ideal? What would be the best verison of a 1080Ti?

Thanks again,
Carlos

don't raid SSD's even in raid 1, there's no point, raid is not a backup, it is about uptime, so get 1x2TB SSD and a 2TB HDD to use as a backup, or 2x2TB SSD and a 4TH HDD for a backup. Can you afford a couple of hours down time whilst you restore from the backup (99% of people can), and for that 2-3 hours once every 5 years or so you get twice the storage.

Carlos_115

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017

Optimising as much storage as I can would be best. With that in mind, I can wait a few more hours. An 8TB HDD sounds like fun though ;)

Just so you know but you can just oc a ryzen 1700 to 1800x clockspeeds and not notice a difference.