AMD's Bulldozer Architecture: Overclocking Efficiency Explored

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Can someone explain to me the point of overclocking ?
i mean, if you wait a few month for the next generation of CPUs you usually get your 'overclocking' performance as the new generations basic performance; save a bundle and have a stable system.
It can not be all just for bragging rights; there has to be a practical reason.
And running 'crisis' or whatever with 3 extra frames per second hardly counts in my book.

I'm not being sarcastic here, what could be the practical reason to do this ?

i also think that spending $600 or $1k on LGA2011 CPUs is not a good idea.2500k is the best buck for thing.then second comes 2600k.both of them are quad cores and beat AMD cpus in almost every benchmark.6-core sandybridges are not worth the cost for their 'unnoticeable' inncrease in performance.it is my personal thinking that waiting few more seconds to finish a work is better than upgrading to hardcore setups every now and then.i currently have 2600k and gtx 580.i don't wanna spend big amount of money for a faster system(x79)just to get 5~8 more fps.
another thing.a frnd of mine has a system with 580 and x6@4.ghz.i play crysis 2 on my rig with max settings.i never experienced any lag.then i did same thing on his AMD/Nvidia system.i never felt any performance difference.anything above 40fps is unnoticeable.if you are scoring 40+ fps with your AMD rig then i would suggest not to upgrade to intel unless you have extra money.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
if better efficiency was BD's primary goal, the results don't look convincing. sometimes i wonder how AMD can make very fast radeons but can't manage to put up a good cpu compared to intel.

Plus there are 10 core xeons floating around on eBay and sometimes amazon for similar prices but the boards are a nasty setback. Quad socket 1566 which cost around $2500 a pop :(

mrsteney

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
I believe the new FX lineup is in it's most efficient state resting quietly in the shiny tin it came in. I hope AMD gets it right on their next go around.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
AMD Bulldozer is still the only 8 core CPU available for us, and it has yet to be used to its full potential.
AMD APU's are an amazing product, combining CPU and GPU combined power that no company can match for anywhere near the same price.
AMD 7970 is the fastest single-GPU graphics card, and it will be many months before Nvidia has any chance of matching or beating it.

AMD is a true innovator that makes CPU's and GPU's cheaper for us all.

fourzeronine

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I like my BD. @ $240 i think the performance is unmatched when I have it clocked at 4.6 Ghz. The overclocks in this article are clearly lazy. Im running 4.6ghz at 1.4v and my buddies BD is at 1.375. Ive been tinkering with these processors for weeks now and they really benefit from a bump in the FSB not just the mult. If you cant find your system stable when turning it up, start cranking the voltage on the the NB and HT NB, 1,25 - 1.275 is usually the sweet spot. my fsb is comfortable at 233, the NB is at 2330mhz.

You should not have to hit 1.5v with these processors until 4.8ghz at the MINIMUM, i'd say at least 5ghz, I just won't go there.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]murambi[/nom]This article feels like when you are kicking a dog when its down. I really wanted AMD to challenge intel in the performance crown segment[/citation]
What you want has NO bearing on the fact that AMDs new architecture isn't quite ready. It looks like a fantastic arch on paper, but till its got native OS support (rather than a badly written patch) and apps that can make use of it, its simply disappointing compared to Intel's offerings.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Star architecture(Phenom II) is a 3 issue instruction CPU that able to go head to head with 4 issue instruction CPU like Core 2 duo/quad.

What AMD should have done is to improve Star architecture, fix its flaws, add a 4 issue to it. Add 2 more cores into 8 cores since its 32nm. If they do all that, they would have beating and completing SB-E by now. Besides it is still cheaper to do this way than designing a new architecture from the ground up.

What the HELL AMD engineers are thinking?!

RogueKitsune

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I am glad that i did not bother upgrading my system to support BD. I know AMD processors of late are no match for Intels, but the thrill of pushing and tweaking my processor to obtain the optimal clocks was the joy of owning an AMD processor(well that's true for me at least). But to see that ANY sort of OverClock on BD is negative is a bit downer. I really hope AMD gets this stuff straightened out or I am gonna go broke when i upgrade to an Intel system ~_~

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]hellfire24[/nom]gulftown=expensive and useless.Sandybridges=king of the hill(price to performance)Sandybridge-E=expensive sandybridge.Bulldozer=budget cpu with multitasking capabilities.[/citation]

you disregarding the phenom, price-performance I believe they beat the sandy bridges at least the I7's in efficiency, where I wrote that the phenom 955 at $100 and the I7 at $300, the I7 would have to be at least 250 to about 300% faster. But in most cases I7 is barely double the speed of the phenom 955, I'm also considering overclocking the 955 best option making it about as fast as their highest and number for the phenom line, I forgot that number is exactly. The I5 can trade blows with the phenom, at least efficiency wise, but I would still rather have seen a for the most part. And I seriously considered because I would never have two core system, if a quad core even if it's a bit slower on single core applications was available.

Bulldozer in its current state shouldn't even be considered except for people who are used in multicore applications where can actually outperform the I7. These applications are few and far between and in most cases in I5 be a better option than a bulldozer, current. The bulldozer properly implemented into Windows 7 or Windows 8 could provide a great competition as long as you're looking at single thread which I'm not sure they can fix without a processor revision. Any correct implementation could help, but I'm not thinking single cores going to suddenly be better than a nice seven, it could just match the phenom line

phenom Quad core = Die Size: 258 mm² -45 nm
phenom Hex core = Die size: 346 mm² -45 nm
bulldozer eight core = 315 mm² - 32 nm

with the bulldozers sucking and single core efficiency, and being 32 nm and being just barely smaller than the six core phenom, it actually may have been better just stick with the phenom processor line and shrink it.

Are there any current benchmark showing for two bulldozer cores (2cpus a core?) against the four core phenom. I'm actually interested in the so if anyone can give me a link.

[citation][nom]shinkueagle[/nom]Meaning this war is a TOTAL loss to AMD... SADLY... AMD - ABSURDLY MORONIC DEVICES.[/citation]

it's a first-generation chip, Intel had problems with the Pentium 4 hyperthreading, AMD is to have problems with their hyperthreading solution.

The problem Intel was able to shelf hyperthreading until they got their crap together with it, AMD doesn't really have that option anymore. Unless they bring out eight core phenom designed at 32 nm I could see a modest performance jump of over 20% over 45 nmit would really beat the crap out of Intel's I series, but would probably perform better at least at a single core applications that the bulldozer, and that's where mainstream would really see the difference. Bulldozer seems like it would already good enough for server applications, and he could try and tweak all their threading problems in the server area before they bring it over to mainstream

[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]in any war, the best defense is a good offense. and amd has managed to offend most of the people who liked their cpus (fanboys excluded, obviously).[/citation]

if anything Intel's playing defensive with how cheap their CPUs are, if you do the math right there is that much markup for any other CPU lines. Their most expensive chips are expensive for reason, time went into designing them to have to pay off R&D and there never been selling multimillions of these chips so they have to increase the price of them a bit. From the math I did in the past it's about $300-$400 base chip cost. And Intel doesn't seem like they disable cores on chips that are perfect so they do lose out on some of their silicon space.

This allows him to stay relatively cheap while pulling a profit and not being so expensive that people would rather go AMD and Intel, I would go AMD out of choice but I wouldn't go bulldozer.

[citation][nom]technoholic[/nom]My latest decision about BD is that it is not a matured product YET. No, the war isnt lost, only 1 or 2 fronts are lost and that doesnt mean the war is lost. The ultimate problem of this chip is that it needs much power to operate. I am not a tech geek or a pro in CPU architecture but i think that AMD needs to do some improvements in the architecture, too (also in software side)Maybe some people will criticize me for this but i always like the most updated/newest approaches in tech; not the older and faster. But newer approaches mostly suffer from immature designs. However, i believe we will see some excellent CPUs from AMD in the near future. Because at least the idea behind this architecture is not worse than that of phenoms. Let's not forget, giant firms like Intel also had many failures in their history (remember pentium 3 was a mediocre design and 4 was much worse), but they managed to advance further with their new ideas. I am sure in this moment AMD guys are working hard on their next big step.[/citation]

if I was AMD licensing arm architecture, I would then see if there's anything I can learn from that apply to an x86 architecture. Sure it might cost them money just to license to see but whatever, we could do it with Nvidia is doing and putting out an AMD-based arm chip.

[citation][nom]theuniquegamer[/nom]Its true that amd's stock coolers are not efficient as the intel's . Because i have both intel i5 760k and amd 955be system , the amd system runs so loud at 40c on stock settings (idle) and the intel runs at above 57c on stock (idle). It makes noise after 70c.(I am not comparing intel with amd because intel i5 is 32nm amd 955 is 45nm). So i think amd should provide good quality stock coolers in the black edition cpus. I[/citation]

I think there might be something wrong with your cooler not just the stock coolers just yours specifically

[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]no offence Toms, but this is an absolutely useless article. Who buys a BD chip for efficiency? It seems to me that most people buy them because they 1) are AMD fanboys and dont know better or find it immoral to fund the larger company (though how moral is it to offer a crappier product for more money?), or 2) people who need lots of threads for hard core 24/7 production work where BD shines a bit brighter than Intel chips.What would be really interesting would be to see the efficiency rating on the supposedly 'energy efficient' S and T chips put out by Intel. They cost a lot more money, and I wonder if they would pay themselves off over time for office and other light use applications, or if they are a complete waste like they seem to be.[/citation]

into a one point had a monopoly, and really screwed over AMD while they still have better chip than Intel, some people and rightly so find it hard to support Intel anymore after that crap happened. So long as there's an alternative to Intel that isn't complete crap (phenom II) I would choose it over any Intel.

[citation][nom]mikenygmail[/nom]AMD Bulldozer is still the only 8 core CPU available for us, and it has yet to be used to its full potential.AMD APU's are an amazing product, combining CPU and GPU combined power that no company can match for anywhere near the same price.AMD 7970 is the fastest single-GPU graphics card, and it will be many months before Nvidia has any chance of matching or beating it.AMD is a true innovator that makes CPU's and GPU's cheaper for us all.[/citation]

you have to credit Intel for innovation, it wasn't for their hyperthreading I don't think AMD would ever go for their threading solution, and hyperthreading didn't work AMD would've never really developed their threading solution.

This is AMD's first GPU correct? Are there any real innovations in it? I'm not really aware of any of them, please if they are there point them out for me, I'd love to see them. Also I can tell it's just a die shrink and loading a crap ton of stuff on one chip, it's more the brute force than finesse. When AMD puts out a GPU with finesse, I'll give an innovation, till then they don't get, at least in GPU department.

I also have no idea how much of the CPU department was part of the APUs they made. And not quite sure exactly how it's integrated, whether it's heavily integrated or whether it's just CPU and GPU on one die I'm not sure. I could give them credit their though.[citation][nom]hellfire24[/nom]i also think that spending $600 or $1k on LGA2011 CPUs is not a good idea.2500k is the best buck for thing.then second comes 2600k.both of them are quad cores and beat AMD cpus in almost every benchmark.6-core sandybridges are not worth the cost for their 'unnoticeable' inncrease in performance.it is my personal thinking that waiting few more seconds to finish a work is better than upgrading to hardcore setups every now and then.i currently have 2600k and gtx 580.i don't wanna spend big amount of money for a faster system(x79)just to get 5~8 more fps.another thing.a frnd of mine has a system with 580 and x6@4.ghz.i play crysis 2 on my rig with max settings.i never experienced any lag.then i did same thing on his AMD/Nvidia system.i never felt any performance difference.anything above 40fps is unnoticeable.if you are scoring 40+ fps with your AMD rig then i would suggest not to upgrade to intel unless you have extra money.[/citation]

actually it is noticeable until you get up to 60 frames per second range. Most games tend to dip down the frames per second and not just stay at their average, most people buy better graphics cards not to increase their frames per second but to make that minimum frames per second go up to. Then again I just like you would notice it more than most people.

[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]Star architecture(Phenom II) is a 3 issue instruction CPU that able to go head to head with 4 issue instruction CPU like Core 2 duo/quad. What AMD should have done is to improve Star architecture, fix its flaws, add a 4 issue to it. Add 2 more cores into 8 cores since its 32nm. If they do all that, they would have beating and completing SB-E by now. Besides it is still cheaper to do this way than designing a new architecture from the ground up.What the HELL AMD engineers are thinking?![/citation]

Remember when the Pentium 4, I'm thinking this is kind of the same situation but in reverse.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]This is AMD's first GPU correct?[/citation]

Uh, no. AMD has made many dozens of GPU's, and they already have released some APU's (CPU+GPU) as well.

As I posted earlier, AMD Bulldozer is still the only 8 core CPU available for us, and it has yet to be used to its full potential. AMD APU's are an amazing product, combining CPU and GPU combined power that no company can match for anywhere near the same price. AMD 7970 is the fastest single-GPU graphics card, and it will be many months before Nvidia has any chance of matching or beating it.

AMD is a true innovator. Thanks to AMD, CPU's and GPU's are cheaper for us all.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mikenygmail[/nom]Uh, no. AMD has made many dozens of GPU's, and they already have released some APU's (CPU+GPU) as well.As I posted earlier, AMD Bulldozer is still the only 8 core CPU available for us, and it has yet to be used to its full potential. AMD APU's are an amazing product, combining CPU and GPU combined power that no company can match for anywhere near the same price. AMD 7970 is the fastest single-GPU graphics card, and it will be many months before Nvidia has any chance of matching or beating it.AMD is a true innovator. Thanks to AMD, CPU's and GPU's are cheaper for us all.[/citation]

okay okay I get it, it's just the first generation GPU that's solely under AMDs name. I keep hearing that AMD's first GPU enough that I forgot that they acquired ATI a long time ago.

was there a time when the Radeon were really underdogs compared to the Nvidia cards… For a long time I was old of the GPU knowledge, and only really came back into around the GeForce 6000 line and even then I wasn't really offering ATI solution so I have no clue how good they perform back then it wasn't until the Radeon 4000 line items start looking at graphics cards again and by that point they were clear competitors with Nvidia.

You can't credit AMD or ATI for keeping graphics cards cheap if they have a competitor or were the underdog.

anything with this fastest single card is, do you really want the fastest single card? If you're really in the neighborhood for that kind of the graphics card to have a second support SLI or crossfire, and it's usually cheaper used to low-end cards and set one high-end card you get closer same performance, if not better. The fastest single in card is mainly bragging rights, that's really it.

[citation][nom]inferno1217[/nom]8 cores vs 4 cores for efficiency is like comparing apples and oranges. Compare 4 cores to 4 cores and lets see the results.[/citation]

Intel uses one core, AMD uses two. really there compare threading options, and Intel wins this efficiency there.

Intel logically has eight cores, AMD logically has eight cores, realistically they're both four core CPU, AMD just has more core than logic on theirs.

afaik, gcn is amd's first gpu design from ground up. previous gpus were ati's (under amd's brand after aquiring ati). the apus use ati gpu and athlon cpu core (die-shrunk). fx 8150/8120 is not a true 8 core in the traditional sense. it's more like 4 module, 4 real cores and 4 partial cores sharing resources. the apus are amazing, sure, but there's not much innovation there. both amd and intel have cpus with gpus built into them.

comparing 4 amd fx modules vs 4 intel cores is just fine. because the comparison is between two brand's own definitions of cpu building blocks.
4 cores vs 4 cores? as in 4 phenom ii x4 cores vs intel lynnfield 750/760 or 4 'core' fx 4100 vs intel 2300/2400/2500/2500k? in both cases the intel cpus will outperform respective amd cpus. look up the previous efficiency articles.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010

Actually since the 5000 series of GPUs by nvidia ATI has been within 5% in speed, once both manufacturers had their cards released when it came to same gen performance (Anyone remember the HL2 debacle where one companies cards couldn't run DX8 on the game without posting very poor results?) and since the first hd series (3000... 3870/50s to be precice) while Nvidia was still using it's very aged (by then) 8000 series relabeled as the 2** whatevers ATI was really socking it to big green.

AS far as the fasted single card solution the part that really matters is single chip. Simply because with a single chip you avoid micro stuttering.

G

i've always underclocked my amd cpu...

i find that it works better while keeping the system cooler.
right now i'm on a Phenom II 965BE @ 3.6GHz and 1.35V max. haven't got any apps that can actually make this chip stretch its legs on all 4 cores tho.

G

It seems everyone has forgotten the Pheonm I issue. When it came out it was also a very big dissapointment. Low performance, high power consumption. Phenom II addressed all these issues.

Phenom I = Bulldozer Phenom II = Piledriver (hoping)

Still as the article it self. Indeed disappointing. Question is what effect would increasing power of the "uncore" components. As Noob4444 mentioned.

Finally, overall Very NICE article.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
I must say that I like the 905e/910e line of CPUs that don't consume more than 65W. Does anyone (liek Yuka maybe) know how to undervolt/clock say a 6-core Thuban or any Black Edition Phenom II to yield a power consumption that is on par with the 910e CPU and how that would affect the performance? It would be nice to get an x6 down to at least 80W, the 1045T consumes 95W.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
[citation][nom]technoholic[/nom]Let's not forget, giant firms like Intel also had many failures in their history (remember pentium 3 was a mediocre design and 4 was much worse), but they managed to advance further with their new ideas. I am sure in this moment AMD guys are working hard on their next big step.[/citation]

Unfortunately they've been working on their next big step for years since the XP CPU's lost the performance crown, But like you said i think(but mostly hope) that further steppings will be more refined and performance and efficiency will be increased. I've been waiting to upgrade my system for over a year now, i REALLY want AMD to give me a reason to go with them but i'm plenty satisfied with my Xeons currently and dont mind waiting a little longer, until a newer stepping comes out. But if this does not help performance much im not waiting for another architecture! Cmon AMD

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]Remember when the Pentium 4, I'm thinking this is kind of the same situation but in reverse.[/citation]Agreed, Pentium 4 is also a high frequency CPU, it has low IPC, large cache(for ex. Prescott has 1M-2M L2 vs Athlon64 L2 512k-1M) same as bulldozer now.

the first gen P4 willamate is suck(just like what Bulldozer now) then the intel fix the prob, Northwood do better, then they hit the Frequency TDP wall Prescott. I presume they will follow this same footstep in the future. Just dont know when they gonna hit the TDP wall again.

Adding 2 more cores on the Existing Phenom II is like extra 25% die size. on a smaller 32nm thats just about equal the die size of Phenom II X6 45nm. Since a lot of multi-threaded benchmark shows 1100T is just as fast as intel's 1155 quad core, that extra 2 cores would have easily beat intel's quad core cpu. besides with 32nm die strink AMD could also clock Phenom II higher GHz too.

as explained by me earlier Star architecture is base on K7 it is clearly superior to Core 2 duo which is base on P6 ones. If only they tweak the star architecture to a 4 issue like core 2 quad. They would easily have the IPC of Nehelem already. Add up the 2 extra cores + higher frequency on 32nm. They can complete with Intel's SB-E.

IMO, if bulldozer is really design or server, they should have just limit it as server CPU like Intel's Itanium.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]okay okay I get it, it's just the first generation GPU that's solely under AMDs name. You can't credit AMD or ATI for keeping graphics cards cheap if they have a competitor or were the underdog.[/citation]
Wrong again, and this article is about a CPU, not a GPU - you don't seem to be aware of that.
Actually you CAN credit AMD for keeping CPU's and graphics cards cheap because they don't try to squeeze every last drop of money out of consumers the way other companies do. AMD brings prices down for us all.

It's ridiculous to show AMD CPUs on the front page covered with thermal paste, rust and generally looking dirty and unattractive. This is disappointing and you guys should be ashamed of yourselves!

Status
Not open for further replies.