AMD's Bulldozer: More Design Details Surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
This looks great and all but its going to supposedly be released on september 19th right? thats the new date given to us. Hopefully this wont be like their june, july, or august release dates or "end of 2010". Yup hopefully this is it. Hopefully it was a marketing decision so they could release it with there 7000 series gpu's. Then i can FINALLY upgrade

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Bulldozer has been Dukeing us for years. Hopefully it has a better outcome. Ivy Bridge has been delayed til next year, so if AMD has its act together, they could make some headway this holiday season.

If these things are mediocre chips released in homeopathic doses, AMD is in trouble.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I hope this will be a worthy contender or surpases the current sandy bridges, otherwise we all are sure looking at higher CPU prices with the next intel refresh - both major cpu makers need to be competing or the prices will skyrocket and at the same time lower upgrades.

We all remember intel back in the days before the Athlon came and started the competition that we today are enjoying.

Martin9630

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]Taht doesn't sound like a release date to me! We don't care. AMD stop trying to be Apple.[/citation]

acadia11, nothing can be like Apple.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
This will be slower and use more power than Sandy Bridge. In addition, the die is too big so AMD will have slim margins. ALso, they will have to compete on price against Intel (because AMD has no other options), so this will probably be the last major CPU architecture AMD produces. Too bad, I've been buying AMD exclusively since the first Athlons came out.

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Does the Bulldozer include specialized circuitry for Turbo Core which will intelligently boost/shut down cores? Sandy Bridge had such mechanism, allowing it to take advantage of available TDP more efficiently and intelligently than the Phenom II X6, which just featured a reversed Cool and Quiet mechanism and probably doesn't really have a clue when to boost or shut down cores. It's also the reason why the Phenom II X6, according to reviews, doesn't spend too much time boosting its cores.

amigafan

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
This is almost nothing new, but at least it's better to see something about Bulldozer than nothing at all. Kudos to Tom's for that.

Those current (ampere) boosts seem pretty intense, I wonder how much negative impact will that have on the thermals.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]This looks great and all but its going to supposedly be released on september 19th right? thats the new date given to us. Hopefully this wont be like their june, july, or august release dates or "end of 2010". Yup hopefully this is it. Hopefully it was a marketing decision so they could release it with there 7000 series gpu's. Then i can FINALLY upgrade[/citation]

i wouldnt get a bulldozer till revision 2 anyway, just because there will be flaws.

this is a low end enthusiast speaking, someone who will upgrade for power but not spend 1k+ on a cpu alone.

[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]Bulldozer has been Dukeing us for years. Hopefully it has a better outcome. Ivy Bridge has been delayed til next year, so if AMD has its act together, they could make some headway this holiday season. If these things are mediocre chips released in homeopathic doses, AMD is in trouble.[/citation]

even if the chip sucks, compared to intel, intel has nothing on amd gpu... a bulldozer with a gpu, and i mean a 68xx model or better could be the choice laptop of next years back to school, and make the chip a very viable option for more budget setups.

[citation][nom]sha7bot[/nom]I'm very excited to see an APU with 2-4 Bulldozer cores and 2-4 HD 7k cores.[/citation]

this could be really nice, id love to see a decent 7xxx in it, that way it can crossfire, and make crossfire a viable low end option for people.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Ok, so this thing has 8 cores with 4 FPU's. Does intel do the same thing? If not, more/less FPU's?

If intel packs more FPU's this new AMD chip could be just a grenade. But AMD has always been light on the math side right? Or was it the other way around? I dunno, I buy intel lol.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I came from a 955BE to a i7 2600. If performance per core is similar and multitasking performance at least 10-20% better I think I might switch back to AMD.

One can dream though.

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
It doesn't really matter what's written in this article. The thing is, without benchmarks we have no clue whether this thing will be able to catch or outperform Sandy Bridge or not. That's the ticket.

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]This will be slower and use more power than Sandy Bridge. In addition, the die is too big so AMD will have slim margins.[/citation]

Uau, you know so much! Thanks for the info, I'll just forget about it entirely and go buy Intel.

mkrijt

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
If performance is on par with the current SB i7's, that would be nice. Since it's a complete new architecture, it would mean there's a lot of options to get more performance by optimizing the architecture...

metallifux

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
[citation][nom]sha7bot[/nom]I'm very excited to see an APU with 2-4 Bulldozer cores and 2-4 HD 7k cores.[/citation]

Trinity should be coming early 2012

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ronch79[/nom]It doesn't really matter what's written in this article. The thing is, without benchmarks we have no clue whether this thing will be able to catch or outperform Sandy Bridge or not. That's the ticket.[/citation]

but you can assume that at the very least its phenom II level performance,
and you can assume that its at the very least an improvement, or allows for better gpu integration for the lower end computers.

i mean honestly, this could be the chip that all the mass produced computers use from now on, till intel gets something that is integrated and can actually play a game decently.

G

8 integer cores, 4 floating point cores. So, if you're running a BOINC project, keep it to 4 packets. What about archiving? Transcoding? Ripping? Are these integer or FP operations? I hope Tom's will investigate FP performance and limitations for us when they can finally torture/interrogate/examine these chips. I'm curious to know what real world integer workloads we have that will benefit from 8 cores!

Status
Not open for further replies.