AMD's Bulldozer: More Design Details Surface

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
going to upgrade my trusty AMD Tricore 720 to a BullDozer with hybrid crossfire AMD 7xxx , 16GB of Kingston 1866MHz Ram, Revodrive PCI SSD, to play Diablo 3, Skyrim, and Battlefield 3.

AMD_pitbull

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]guyjones[/nom]Please get this thing to market already -- Intel has the game all to itself with no competition until Bulldozer finally arrives.[/citation]
It's funny how many people make this comment about AMD having nothing to challenge Intel. Tell me what games you have problems running with any quad core? As for OC'ing, I had my 1090T running at 4.4GHZ. With a die shrink, the odds of it hitting 5GHZ are looking pretty darn good. People are always so quick to assume anything, either way, and I can understand how anxious people are, but, you can build a great gaming rig, AMD OR Intel, for little money compared to how much they used to be.

The new developments in CPU architecture are nice, but, we still need programmers to start to take advantage of these new toys before they start to become worth the money. If this bulldozer can even make a show against the 990x and competes with the SB, that's a good jump for AMD, but, I still want to know how real world performance is gonna benefit from any of this. I've seen low gains in actual performance in non-benchmarking. Am I still gonna get one? Probably. I love to be able to brag about my system, but, I just don't see why people want to try to dis AMD for "not keeping up" when there's so little (other than benchmarks) that really take advantage of things.

icebug

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
[citation][nom]war2k9[/nom]I need this processor to be out soon, I need to upgrade my old phenom 955 system.[/citation]

Heck I am still running a 9950 140W which is pretty difficult to keep at a reasonable temperature without making my computer sound like a jet taking off. I am REALLY looking forward to these new chips so I can move on to something MUCH cooler and much faster :)

cybersans

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
...like its codename "b.u.l.l.d.o.z.e.r." it will be huge, resource hunger, noisy, but moving slow. :D

to all amd fanboys out there, don't hesitate to give thumbs down to me. thank you in advance.

joemama069

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
please tell me they will work on am3 boards like am3 chips worked on am2 boards with a bios flash... i just bought an am3 board like 3 months ago cause my last one crapped out

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]JOEmAmA069[/nom]please tell me they will work on am3 boards like am3 chips worked on am2 boards with a bios flash... i just bought an am3 board like 3 months ago cause my last one crapped out[/citation]
You'll have to check with your motherboard's manufacturer to see if they offer an updated BIOS that works with it. I know Gigabyte is working on one (beta version available) for my motherboard

GA-880GMA-UD2H

f-14

Distinguished
the only thing i want to see about bulldozer any more beyond this point is benchmarks!

enough with the rumour mill and get to the benchies, cuz i am done reading anything less then that unless you happen to get a fabrication tour of bulldozer.
that is the only exception to my expectations on bulldozer's next article.

The CPU has built in memory controllers, those controllers support ECC as it's become standard these days. Now your motherboard may not support ECC RAM, but that's a different beast entirely.

And from what I've seen, BD will be a great server CPU as it can scale into large scale servers.

I used to build myself ECC machines for that extra smidge of reliability, but it's not easy to find ECC-compatible consumer-grade mobos these days.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
This is one chip I'll put on my rig. It will have to do terrible on Tom's test for me to change my mind. I've even postpone buying Portal 2 (don't tell me the ending !) to have a decent machine where I can play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.