AMD's Catalyst 15.10 Beta Optimizes 'Ashes Of The Singularity' DX12 Performance

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
just a question... how many drivers have nvidia put out that bricked cards or destroyed hardware? and how many have amd put out that did the same?

also, how often does amd put out a driver that makes cards perform worse?

i dont by games day one, so all the driver issues are already sorted out when i jump in, so day 1 support isnt an issue for me at all.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Just so you guys know, the driver overhead with DX12 and Vulkan will be waaaay lower, so vendor-side optimizations will have less of an impact (at least after they get the core done).

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

What optimizations? It would seem everything listed here is to fix CRASHES. For an articled titled OPTIMIZES, I would expect something like "25% faster in 1080P" etc. If it is optimized for speed, it would seem they forgot to mention it. Not that fixing a lot of bugs is bad, of course I expect that if they exist. But it seems like title should be "won't crash as much now".. :) But maybe they have the perf stuff listed at their website or something. Surprised it would not be listed here though, unless toms is just blowing up stuff for hits, when it's really just fixes. Also yes, as the OP noted, driver side stuff won't be so great now (with most of the overhead removed), I don't expect huge increases for either side unless they're driver just sucks totally to begin with. Hopefully though, that will mean both sides have more time to fix bugs like you see here today.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Well to be expected I guess when it takes AMD 8 months between WHQL drivers (Dec14 2014, to what July something?). When you're selling to 80% of the discrete market (NV) you're going to have more people complain (probably 4x more). Even then though, we're not talking many and much of it can be chalked up to the sheer number of parts out there (from many vendors) that get out the door without being checked 100%. A simple driver update or whatever causes a (bad) part to run hotter and expose it's issues, and poof...RMA.

There are issues with both sides over the last two decades...Buy the side you can live with, or do your homework and don't get shafted by either side by buying smarter. It still won't get you out of everything, but it increases your odds of being happy as much as you possibly can.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

now if i remember correctly, one of the nvidia drivers made the fans no longer spin up, that's not bad part at that point that's bad drivers.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Actually far slower for AMD, the one before that was 8 months before (dec 2014). That IMHO is not even good enough to call it product support. They need to get out a WHQL at least quarterly, which would still be 1/3 of NV who is pretty much monthly or better. This is a sign of AMD financial problems though, not that they can't do it IMHO. It costs to pass WHQL, which AMD can't afford these days (R&D dropping for 4yrs vs. reverse for NV and NV now has higher R&D than AMD who makes many more products). One more reason my 5850 will probably be replaced by whatever NV puts out with the die shrink coming soon. AMD will have to put out a whopper to get me to overlook drivers, R&D etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.