AMD's Catalyst Omega Graphics Driver Bursting With New Features, Including FreeSync, 5K Support, And More

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well AMD has always been interested in high resolution and multiple monitors, so 5K support and 24-monitor support isn't surprising. Neither is copying Nvidia's DSR with VSR. And we knew Freesync was coming.

It's pretty cool that they added these and then a good number of other features at the same time though. I guess this also helps them PR-wise, so it's not just perceived as any old ho-hum driver update.

chenw

Honorable
I think my brain just self installed the green team's buyer's remorse program :(

Hopefully, nVidia will come out with their answer to this. This update seems like a godsend for red team's.

Lutfij

Titan
I only hope this driver revision is worth the wait. I had to tear lock of hair when my system became very unstable even during regular desktop/web surfing sue. I did take the time to detail the issues and the driver revisions show that they fixed it though a test drive of the driver should speak volumes.

Dec 5, 2014
i've just installed this update to try the recording function when mantle in use. On Battlefield 4, too bad the result of recorded gameplay is screen tearing. Far cry compare to dx11 api when using GVR. I know the gvr is beta after all but still its nice to know that mantle is also supported for GVR. :D

well if you really look into it some new feature that AMD come up with lately only limited to GCN 1.1 and 1.2. take FreeSync for example. the variable refresh rate during gaming only support by GCN 1.1 and above.

3ogdy

Distinguished
Yeah, salgado18, Tom's should upgrade the God damn Picture Viewer already. Having to go through 50 clicks to just see the contents of the picture is plain dumb.

Lutfij

Titan
A follow up to the comment I made. I downloaded the Omega driver pack after the read and I must say - the overall output and culmination is sweat. My APU system is more stable and I don't have the CCC crash out intermittently during work or play.

Good job AMD :)

Nvidia needs to work with intel to do SLI support with intel HD graphics, would help laptops a little. Amd's just run too hot for laptops. Once AMD improves their power efficiency(more watts = more heat), then they'll be tow to tow with Nvidia.

it is the tech that nobody will really care actually. because for it to work you're going to need the discrete portion to in the same performance as the integrated one. if not it will not work. it is easier just to get stronger card altogether that almost guaranteed to work in any games instead of dealing with software issue that multi gpu configuration.

InvalidError

Titan

SLI/CF between (I)GPUs in different performance classes works as long as they are from the same architecture generation but performance becomes much less predictable... you can do it but it is rarely worth the trouble.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
VSR is not available for HD79xx which is lame since there is no difference between HD2xx and HD79xx infact HD79xx series is better than HD280. I don't see a reason why HD79xx cannot support VSR.

right now 280 did not support VSR. the supported card was 285. basically VSR needs at least GCN 1.1 and above. even GCN 1.1 will be limited to 3200x1200. only GCN 1.2 able to support more than that (3840 x 2160 / 3840 x 2400). but it seems AMD intend to support VSR at least down to 260 although the implementation will not the same. but don't take it as a promised from AMD since they mention "adding support for those lower-end cards requires it to explore a new implementation vs. what's in Omega"

http://techreport.com/news/27483/vsr-is-amd-answer-to-nvidia-dsr-tech

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
I hope this is better than the last driver which caused by screen to have a green checkerboard pattern and nearly permanently crashed my computer. I had to keep restarting the computer until it finally loaded into windows so I could uninstall it.

beshonk

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
SO basically this is a driver that copies what Nvidia's pioneered? It's a good thing Nvidia is willing to invest in R&D not just for their graphics cards, but in gaming technology all around. AMD wouldn't be releasing VSR or Freesync had Nvidia not developed and marketed them. And now they're basically copying Geforce Experience (but not nearly as well). *jumps for joy* so exciting to be getting this tech 3 months behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.