News AMD's China-Only Radeon RX 7900 GRE 16GB Debuts: Navi 31 with Cut-Down Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djekna80

Commendable
Jul 10, 2021
Why, money does not care about nationality, I work in marketing, if someone is going to pay me more for PC components I sale, well choice is easy, someone talking different, is maybe making great speech, but also lying .
a have press to XX dare to se you press X third time hahahah

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
4 time bigger market than USA, i don`t see problem if it is limited edition it will sale
Yes, but why only for chinese market? Is it not good enough or bad enough for the rest of the world? Because these China-only products end up in our countries, and mix up with worldwide products. Take the RX 580 2048sp, which is sort of an RX 570 but only for chinese market. Is the RX 580 I'm buying the full card or the 2048sp version? Too confusing, these things shouldn't be so segmented in a globalized market.

Elusive Ruse

Respectable
Nov 17, 2022
Flag_of_the_United_States.svg
United States
18,526,973​
69%​
2023​
Flag_of_Europe.svg
European Union
8,762,887​
51%​
2021​
Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China.svg
China
6,804,921​
38%​
2021​

Reactions: thisisaname

Elusive Ruse

Respectable
Nov 17, 2022
Why, money does not care about nationality, I work in marketing, if someone is going to pay me more for PC components I sale, well choice is easy, someone talking different, is maybe making great speech, but also lying .
a have press to XX dare to se you press X third time hahahah
:ROFLMAO:

There is one important difference though. The Radeon RX 7900 GRE disables one more memory controller die (MCD) and therefore comes with 16GB of GDDR6 memory along with a 256-bit memory interface.
It's probably not accurate to say that it "disables" a memory controller die, since they are separate chips. It's more likely that they just didn't add a fifth chiplet, only including four, just as the 7900 XT contains one less chiplet than the 7900 XTX, with a nonfunctional spacer in its place.

Yes, but why only for chinese market? Is it not good enough or bad enough for the rest of the world?

Maybe they just feel that a less-expensive 7900 with most of the performance of the 7900 XT might not fit well in their product stack in other markets. The 7800 XT should be coming out in a little over a month, and that card will supposedly be based off the same chips as the 7900 cards, just with more of the graphics cores in the central chip disabled. It is said to have the same amount of memory and cache as this card though, so it's likely using 4 MCD chips as well.

Because these China-only products end up in our countries, and mix up with worldwide products. Take the RX 580 2048sp, which is sort of an RX 570 but only for chinese market. Is the RX 580 I'm buying the full card or the 2048sp version? Too confusing, these things shouldn't be so segmented in a globalized market.
This card was given a different model though, the 7900 GRE, so there shouldn't be much confusion. That name is arguably easier to distinguish than the existing 7900 XT and 7900 XTX, which have a larger difference in specs between them, despite having even more similar names.

phxrider

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2013
I don't see the point in this card as a desktop GPU, unless power consumption is a really big deal in some countries... It has a lot of promise as a laptop GPU though.

Status
Not open for further replies.